“Got upgraded to a 2000 square foot suite”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a nice hotel in a very good location. It is on 101 next to the San Jose airport, close to all the companies in silicon valley. I stayed here one night. I am a Hilton gold customer and when I checked in, I was told that I had been upgraded to a "very nice" room. For me, one room is much like another so I didn't think much about it. However, when I got to the room, I was stunned to find that I had a 2000 square foot suite with a giant bedroom, luxury bath plus a second "guest bathroom", walk in closet, living room that seats 6 and a dining table that seats 6. It had a full bar and stocked wine rack (at mini bar prices) and two balconies overlooking the coastal range and the pool. The room was in pristine condition.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding with both buffet and cook to order options.

I can't say anything about the regular rooms, but the suite was magnificant!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here for a day just for sleep. Arrived late, around 8 PM (about 5 hours after check-in). Wasn't expecting to much for a $79 room. I was on the 7th floor. I was FAR away from the elevators, which I didn't like. Room was clean, big, and comfortable. Bed skirts were ripped, balcony ledge was covered in moss, carpets were cut weird at the edges, the drop celling was VERY low. I'm about 6'1 and my head was inches from the celling. Room was the size of a suite, even thought it was a basic room. Noise from the 101 was very little, thought the occasional motorcycle flying by sometimes woke me up. Beds were comfortable. Elevator service was great! I never had to wait very long for an elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the 101.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank iDavid11
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stay at this hotel because of its proximity to my accounts. I used my points to pay and I like the rooms, fitness center and amenities. However, I was misled by the room water marked as free. I guess you have to be a special Hilton honors member in order to drink the cheap water bottle in the room. This is misleading and frankly expensive. I was charged almost $6 for two small bottles. This put a bad taste in my mouth. No pun intended.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Jenn8702
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Good location close to the airport, friendly but in definite need of a good refresh. Very dated property. At the rate charged, you would expect something in better condition. Service is good but overall property is very basic. I'm a very frequent Starwood Hotels guest so a foray back to Hilton is rare but this property would definitely never make you consider switching brands.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AAEXPFlyer
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and I stayed here recently while participating in the National Junior Olympics for Girls' Water Polo. This place seemed like a great deal: close to the 101 and the airport. HOWEVER, here is my list of funky things that can use some improvement: 1) Parking: if you don't get a spot by the side entrance to the hotel, you'll have to park on the other side of the convention/banquet area and that's a substantial and inconvenient walk. 2) Breakfast buffet was gross: runny eggs, rubbery sausage, cold pancakes and NO BAGELS!! 3) Showers were drizzly and lukewarm during peak times but during off-times, the temperature vacillated according to flushes!! Nothing worse than starting a day off with a lousy shower. 4) When the maid was cleaning our room, she refused to let us go in and grab something we needed. Rude and an insincere "Lo siento." 5) No coffee in the room but they serve Starbucks down in the lobby, but three bucks for a grande?? And then, full price for a refill?!?!? 6) We ended up with 7 keys because each one would not work at one time or another. We even had to get security to open it up for us once. 7) Most of the front desk was rude except for the overnight girl who was bright-eyed and smiling at 5:00 in the morning. 8) The only places to eat outside of the hotel were two LONG blocks away (about 1/2 mile) but they were really good: Vito's Trattoria for excellent Italian cuisine and Sonoma Chicken Coop for great family fare and crafted beers. Overall, the only bright spot would be that the elevators were FAST which was a blessing with a full hotel. Also, the weather was fantastic...maybe we should have camped!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank FrankieFam
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Overall, experience was good. Dated decor, nasty carpet but beds comfortable. Long open hallways, kind of spooky. Breakfast good except for eggs: runny and almost raw! Could stay there again but would look for another hotel first.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank silgir
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Yikes... So - never mind that the first room they sent me too was already occupied (be sure to lock those doors, because my key worked fine in someone else's room... 2nd room was 2 full beds instead of the king i paid for - plus carpet was ripped. 3rd room was king. I wish I had stayed at a Best Western or Holiday Inn - both would have rated miles above this one. How disappointing.... and on top of that---the room with tax was $300 bucks for the night. It should have been $75 for the night. Skip this one until they do a remodel. (location to airport was the only saving grace for this one)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business