“Great Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 21, 2007

I had a great stay at this hotel. The staff was pleasant and professional and the room was very comfortable. My only complaint is the $15/day for parking. It seems to have become common at most hotels in California though.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed September 12, 2007

The Doubletree San Jose is rated four diamonds by AAA, so I expected above-average accommodations. What we got was definitely not four-diamond quality. The hotel decor is stuck in a time warp from the 80s. We got a room on the 2nd floor and while it did not smell of cigarette smoke, there was some type of odor that was either caused by cleaning agents or soap. I am sensitive to odors and the odor even disrupted my sleep. However, after housekeeping cleaned our room during the first day, there was a mildewy, sour smell in the bathroom that was off-putting. Since we were only staying one more night, we put up with it. The decor of the room is dull and depressing: cottage-cheese ceilings; random lighting (including a bulb over the easy chair that seemed like it was designed for interrogation); bare walls on three of the four walls; and dark wood paneling on the doors. The outer sink would not plug or drain properly; the tub did not drain properly either, leaving us to stand in almost ankle-high water while showering. The toilet was slow to flush and seemed like it used a great deal of water. I needed a hair dryer sent to my room and I called housekeeping. After approximately four or five rings, I got housekeeping's voicemail. I hung up and dialed the front desk. Tabitha, I believe, said she'd have one sent up right away. Thirty minutes later, still no hair dryer. My husband went to the front desk to check on my request, received an apology and front desk made the request again to housekeeping. Within 5 minutes, the hair dryer arrived. I don't understand why it takes this much effort to get one hair dryer at a four-diamond establishment. My one final aggravation was that you have to pay $10/day for self-parking. Even the W Silicon Valley does not make you pay for parking. The only good thing about this hotel is the close proximity to the airport. Otherwise, look elsewhere for real four-diamond accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2007

I was terribly disappointed with this hotel. It is absolutely terrible!!!First we had to pay for parking. My husband is handicapped and we had to pay for parking!! And the valets saw me struggling to get the baggage and they never once asked if we could help. They could easily see he was handicapped and did not bother to help me and my 2 little kids with the luggage.

We had booked an executive queen room which was suppose to be on the 9 and 10th floors (which we paid extra for!) and they put us on the 3rd floor. We really lost out by being put on the 3rd floor. We were to have concierge service but did not get it. We paid for it but I was told it was those on the 9th/10th floor only no breakfast was available no coffee nothing even though we had paid extra for better service and a better room.

We attempted to eat at one of their many restaurants. Only to find out they had ran out of steaks. Yet next door was another restaurant called Steak and Chops(maybe they could of borrowed a steak to make a customer happy?). So I opted for their version of Chicken Marsala. I definately need to send them a recipe and a new chef as their version tasted nothing like Chicken Marsala. Oh and do yourself a favor and forget ordering drinks from the bar as I was able to get a 16 oz. drink for $8.00, then later in the evening they charged me $9.00 for the same drink but this time is it was only an 8 ounce drink.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and stay somewhere else..I wish I had.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank sissygirl99
Reviewed August 26, 2007

Doubletree San Jose is a solid hotel. The location is not particularly great (the hotel is located in a business park) so if you are looking for anything to eat other than what is provided in the hotel it is best to hop on light rail which is not too far away and to go elsewhere. However, service was good and the food that was provided in the hotel was excellent. We did not mind eating all of our meals during our two nights there. Overall, recommended.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank jfs88
Reviewed August 7, 2007

My family and I just returned from a week long stay at the DT in San Jose.

We arrived on a Saturday night - bad night to arrive - the club located in the DT was LOUD and there were a lot of ppl. We checked in and were given a room on the 2nd floor located right above the club (or so it felt) - not to mention the entire floor was filled with several ppl sitting on the outside of their rooms drunk - and several parties going on (it looked like a Star Trek convention). I was not happy. I walked to the front desk and immediately asked to be switched to another room (how they expected a family with 2 small children to sleep with all that noise was beyond me). The front desk manager was very apologetic and checked for a room - they didn't have a room big enough for a family of 5 that night but would accommodate us the next morning - which they did. He also gave us 2 $35 vouchers to be used at any time during our stay - which helped us out!

We were switched to the 7th floor on the opposite side the next morning - which was GREAT! We had a nice view and it was quiet!

The week was soon packed with teenagers who were competing in a polo championship - which lucky for us - we weren't around to see them much but the hotel felt crowded.

The pool was nice and not full (well, when the teenagers weren't around it wasn't full). The hot tub didn't work - which was a bummer, but the pool made up for it as it was heated.

Overall I loved our stay and would definitely stay again not to mention recommend it to anyone and everyone who asks.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2007

I had a conference in San Jose and elected not to stay at one of the convention center hotels. I chose the Doubletree, which met my needs well. The hotel was modern, clean, and comfortable. As a Hilton "High Points" Gold member, I enjoyed access to the "executive floor", where evening snacks/drinks and a continental breakfast were served daily.

The hotel has a nice outdoor pool area and sufficient dining choices to meet my needs.

I did not have a car with me and road the light-rail each day into downtown San Jose to the convention center. This worked very well, as the station is not very far from the hotel. However, on evenings when I would be out after dark, I used a taxi to get back to the hotel as I did not feel it was safe for a woman to walk alone to the hotel. If you stay at the Doubletree and use the light-rail, be sure to get good directions from the hotel staff. The individual who gave me my directions had less-than-perfect English and I had to be persistent with my questioning to make sure I knew exactly where to find the train. If you like morning coffee, a Starbucks will be on your way to the stop!

One of the greatest advantages of staying at the Doubletree is it's location near the airport. The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport, which I found to be very convenient and cost-effective.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Doubletree.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at the Santa Clara Convention Center. The location had convenient highway access for getting around Silicon Valley; however, I would have been better off staying at one of the hotels within walking distance to the Convention Center.

Overall I had a comfortable stay, the hotel was very clean, and the abundance of restaurants was convenient for a business traveler. But there was nothing that special about the hotel that would compel me to stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business