“Perfectly decent hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Birmingham, Alabama
“Perfectly decent hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

My friend and I stayed here while attending an event at hp Pavilion. We arrived around noon after a very long drive which we began quite early in the morning, and were thrilled to be given a room upon arrival even though we were early! I'm sure that was partly due to luck being in our favor with a room being available, but it was very kind of the staff to allow us a room before the official check-in time. The room was clean and outfitted as you would expect a hotel room in this price range to be furnished. The beds were comfortable, there was plenty of counter space in the bathroom, and all of our basic expectations were met. Some reviewers have cited problems with parking, but we had no such issues during our 3 night stay.

The cons were all minor issues. The TV sometimes didn't work that well, and the cable was occasionally fuzzy. The internet was very slow (though I'll take complimentary slow internet over pay-per-day internet like most of the pricier downtown hotels offered). Also there was only one trash can in the room. Our view was of a blank wall several feet opposite our window. Again, all very minor issues, and to be fair we never called to report the cable or internet, nor did we ask for another trash can, which I'm sure would have been offered had we asked. And as for the view, we were in our room so rarely that we really didn't mind, nor did we request a different view. All of the staff were extremely friendly, and if we had really been bothered enough by any of these minor issues to file a complaint, I'm positive the issues would have been addressed and/or resolved.

The location was very convenient, only a few minutes to hp Pavilion and downtown. The Radisson was a much more affordable option than the pricey downtown hotels and met our needs perfectly. And most importantly, all of the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank brooky224

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

The rooms are very dated in this hotel. The furniture should have been replaced years ago. Overall the facility is in need of a major remodeling investment. Hotel staff was not overly friendly or responsive. When I arrived in my room I reported to guest services that my room was missing the desk chair. 3 hours later - still no chair. I called again and they brought a straight backed, non-wheeled, chair in about 5 minutes. Not what I would've expected for a desk chair but OK for the one night I was staying. The room was clean. Provided toiletries (shampoo, soap, conditioner, etc.) were much better than standard both in quality and quantity. I couldn't get the sleep number bed to do anything noticeable. Water has hot with good pressure.

The bar food however was amazing at this facility. After a very long and tiring work day we decided to eat at the hotel bar and watch a baseball game. TV was large and near our table. The service wasn't the speediest but the food was amazing. Huge quanitities, good quality, fresh and tasty. We had nachos, a standard hamburger and fish tacos. The hamburger my colleague ate must've had a 1/2 lb of beef, a thick slice of ham, cheese, and an egg - all on an extra large bun. My three fish tacos (one order) were large, with fresh and flaky fish. There was no way to finish it all.

Breakfast service the next morning was not good. Very overpriced and slow non-attentive servers.

Neighborhood doesn't look the best, but didn't venture out for a walk so it wasn't an issue for us. Probably wouldn't stay here again unless there weren't any other options.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter for 2 days to attend an event at the HP Pavilion. As the previous poster stated, the hotel is a "work in progress." Front desk reception was very nice and check in was handled very fast. The room we were given was not a recently refurbished one so everything was dated..clean, but dated. The sleep number beds were wonderful. The air conditioning worked well, the room was kept clean by housekeeping so there wasn't anything to complain about with that.

The walkability score of this hotel is zero. There is a bowling alley next door with a coffee shop and a Mexican fast food next to that, but that's it. If you want snacks for the room, make sure to bring them with, as there are none in the area to walk to. No CVS, no Walgreens, nothing. Also it's outrageous that with no snacks in the area they charge $2 for a 20oz bottle of soda in the vending machine.

Used the bar for dinner one night as it seemed to have more diners than the restaurant. Dinner was good, piping hot and for hotel food, wasn't really that much more expensive than if we had eaten in a restaurant in downtown San Jose.

Parking wasn't an issue as we always found a spot in front of the hotel. I had even asked the front desk if it was ok to park in the RSVP44 allocated spots and I was told, "park anywhere that is empty."

One an only complaint...we arrived back at the hotel one night ready to order room service and relax. When no one answered the room service phone I walked down to the bar area to order food to take upstairs. Was informed by the bartender that the kitchen closed at 9:30pm, it was 9:40 I told him the room service menu states that sandwiches were available until 10pm. He told me he would try to find me something, I declined. Radisson, if the kitchen closes at 9:30pm, state that in the room service menu. If we had known that we wouldn't have been able to order food, we would have stopped on our way back to the hotel for something.

I chose this hotel so I could use some points towards the room cost. If I were to come back to San Jose, I think I would choose somewhere closer to downtown where there is more in the area. The hotel employees were gracious, always a nice word and the room was clean. Never heard any airplane or street noise with the sliding door closed and our room faced the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if you want the flat screen tv and the updated furniture. Stop before the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AAORD1
Carlsbad, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at the Radisson San Jose Airport for 3 days on business. One of my coworkers who was also staying there characterized the property as “a dump”. I would say it’s more of a work in progress.

The Good Stuff:
- The Sleep Number beds are very comfortable.
- Other than dated fixtures, furniture and the CRT television, the room was very clean.
- Breakfast was standard fare, served in a clean and comfortable space with friendly, attentive service.
- Just a few minutes to drive everywhere I needed to visit in the Valley.
- WiFi worked great.

The Not-So-Good Stuff:
- I had a bad experience when I called the hotel to determine if I had late check-in available. Front desk transferred my call to what I assume was the business office. The young woman that answered the phone appeared to be brand-new. She didn’t know the answer to my question and after fiddling with putting me on and off of hold, she managed to hang up on me. I called later and got someone else who was very helpful. In person, the front desk team was very professional.
- Elevators need maintenance. I believe I rode all 3 of them. I’m guessing they all have air in their hydraulic systems. There is a lag and a jump/bounce between when the elevator pump starts and when the car starts to move smoothly. There are places downstairs where you can smell the hydraulic oil that I assume is from the elevators.
- According to the sign posted in my room, state law requires the innkeeper to post the room rates in the room. No such posting existed.

Stay again? If I couldn’t find anything else in my price range, I’d stay there. It would not be my first choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank biker_dan
Central California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Spent the night and was very impressed by the quality, comfort, ease & quick service. Every question answered, very helpful, pleasant and professional front desk. Very safe & comfortable. We parked here on a trip and the car was in great shape on return, and parking was free because we stayed here! The shuttle to the airport was quick and easy. Shuttle drivers are the best, also--professional and courteous--felt like a limo driver. We will definately return here and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We had a great, quiet room--No bad experiences here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SKSA
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

We received a short term extended stay request from one of our corporate customers with an arrival in a couple of days. I connected with Yelena who worked to get the best rate to accommodate the budget with breakfast and microwaves & refrigerators. The hotel was awesome and the guest in the group had a great stay! OurExtendedStay

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Grenoble, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Close to airport with shuttle service
Extremely small pool almost on the parking
Along a high traffic road
Business class room just ok, would need little refurbish
Breakfast is great no the typical american low qual, table friendly service and fresh food
Amenities are higher standard than rooms as often

Stayed June 2012