“Not my best stay at a Crowne Plaza”

Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Elk Grove, California
“Not my best stay at a Crowne Plaza”
Reviewed August 22, 2007

I booked this stay for a two day business trip. Having stayed at several other Crowne Plaza's in the past, I thought I knew what to expect.

First of all, this hotel does not have a concierge level for "Platinum" members of Priority Club. Not a big deal, as they have a wine and cheese hour in the main lobby every night (at least the nights I was there). They also have a buffet continental breakfast that isn't too bad as well.

The hotel's decor and theming was interesting... kind of a retro 60's theme. This was a nice change of scenery. The room also had an iPod docking station stereo and a rather large flat panel tv - nice plus! This is where the "not bad" comments end...

I was lucky enough to receive turn-down service my first night - receiving two bottles of water and two chocolates. Unfortunately, the second night, I was not feeling too well and needed water to drink. I called and was told they were short staffed and weren't providing that service that night. I went to the vending machine on my floor (only have vending on floors 2,4,6 and 8). Unfortunately, the water was empty... I went down to the next floor and found it was empty as well. This was the story for the rest of the vending machines on the rest of the floors. Finally, on the 2nd floor, I received a bottle of Sprite when I pushed the water button.

I checked the hotel directory and found that there was a "sundry" shop on the first floor as indicated by a map. I went there and found the shop didn't exist...

Other than this unfortunate experience, the rest of my stay was below my regular standard for a Crowne Plaza. I am a huge fan of Crowne Plaza and liked the decor and ambiance of this particular one and, if given the chance, may try it again. I'm not going to rush to get there, though...

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank briguy73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Stayed at the Crown Plaza for the San Jose Grand Prix. Couldn't have a better location, view of the race track from room. Hospitality suite was a kick with the staff. Fun bar downstairs with an outside patio. Cleaning staff put up with our bunch with grace.
Thanks.

• Stayed August 2007
san jose ca
Reviewed July 29, 2007

A special thank you to the Crown Plaza Suites in San Jose, Ca. The staff was very accommidating. The new renovations are superb. Home away from home during the San Jose Grand Prix 2007. We will be back next year and definitley will refer freinds to stay at this hotel in the future.
P.S. The elevator music rocks!

Joe Haslemann
San Jose, Ca

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Northern California
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I selected this hotel because of its proximity to the convention center just across the street. The experience exceeded my expections. Although a renovation is in progress, the staff made extra efforts to make sure we weren't inconvenienced.

The renovation of the guest rooms and hallways had just been completed. Very nice touches with fresh, vibrant colors like burgundy and chartreuse. The hotel had a fun modern/retro look.

There was some construction going on in the lobby during the day. However, in the evening everything was neat and easy to pass through. The general manager hosted a wine hour in the lobby, pouring several nice wines and chatting with us about the progress of the renovation.

The hotel's location was great. We could walk to a number of restaurants and cafes, as well as the convention center. The parking was reasonably priced and convenient.

• Liked — innovative decor
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank CaliforniaTraveler33
KS
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I was uncertain of spending a whole week at the Crowne Plaza for a recent convention in San Jose. So, I am happy to report that the Crowne Plaza is very nice. The rooms were clean, the beds are very comfortable, the new updated decor is fun and even though the hotel was fully booked, the nights were quiet and restful. The few things we encountered that needed attention were always resolved in a very timely manner.
The location is perfect for the convention center. Dinning choices are numerous in the area. The hotel common areas are comfortable and inviting.
The one main disappointment is that internet access costs daily. They do supply computers and internet in the lobby but because the hotel was full for the convention, getting to use them was impossible. I am a believer that wireless access should be as much a part as a hotel stay as a bed is. All that said, do not shy away from this property. You will be happy you stayed there.

Oklahoma
Reviewed June 26, 2007

The staff was extremely friendly and out going. I never wanted or needed for anything. The new look of the hotel will be fabulous when it's done. I love the modern appearance, can't wait to come back and see the finished work!

• Liked — Cross between location and appearance
  • Disliked — There was nothing I could think of
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 25, 2007

After finding a very, very good price online and booking this hotel across the street from the San Jose convention center, I checked Trip Advisor and was a bit concerned at the review. When we entered they had just replaced the tile on the entry floor and were redoing the lobby. (It was completely finished within our two night stay). The sleeping rooms looked like they had just been redone - including new wallpaper, paint, flat screen TV, bathroom fixtures, and linens. There were spots on the carpeting, but when I saw the new manager in the lobby the next morning, he was very aplogetic and took note of the room number. The staff was very pleasant and went out of their way to be accommodating. They had complementary muffins, sweet rolls and coffee in the lobby in the morning and cookies in the afternoon. The resturant had a good breakfast. We were pleased and would stay there again if the need arose.

• Liked — Location, convenient to convention center
  • Disliked — view, but since we were downtown in meetings all day, it didn't matter.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business