“Noisy Room”

Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The hotel staff was great. This hotel is located across from the convention center and conveniently located near the light rail train. The location of my room was near the elevator and due to the hotel being sold out, I was stuck with this room. The heater in my room did not work, so the temperature was cold (I'm from Florida). I would recommend a room facing the train or near the elevator. Overall a nice hotel.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown

Reviewed June 23, 2010

My wife and I were in town to go to the US OPEN in pebble beach. After reading reviews of the hotel I decided to stay here. I am glad I did. The hotel is very nice and clean. It doesnt have a pool, but we were with out kids so didnt matter to us. They do have a 24 hour sauna, which we didnt use either. I was a little nervous after getting to our room and seeing that we were on the "LOUD" side of the hotelas described by others. We were on the 8th floor and barely heard the train going by and every once in awhile we heard the planes fyling overhead, but nothing that kept us up or woke us up.

We got a room that included free parking and breakfast. While the free parking was great, the free breakfast was at best average. It looks really nice when you walk in and see alll the food there, but it was disappointing.

I would stay here again without hesitation. It was a great location and with in walking distance of the downtown scene.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shilo33
Reviewed June 18, 2010

My husband and I decided to spend the night here last weekend at the last minute. We wanted to dine in downtown San Jose and decided we wanted to be able to walk to our accommodations, rather than drive home. We chose the Crowne Plaza because it was located just around the corner from where we had made dinner reservations.

The check-in desk was manned by 3 people when we arrived, with no one else waiting. We were told that as a platinum member, we get free parking, free internet, 2 free drinks at the bar, and free breakfast. I was impressed that they treat their platinum members so well!

In addition, they upgraded us to an "executive" room on the top floor and were happy to honor my request for a quiet room -- which means not facing the light rail stop that is right next door.

The room was nice and big. Air conditioning was pretty loud. The bathroom was small. Decor, etc. was typical Crowne Plaza. Comfy bed; only one bathrobe for two people. Didn't hear others on the floor out in the hallways, slamming doors, etc.

All staff that we encountered -- housekeeping, front desk, bar, server at breakfast, etc. -- were all very friendly and helpful.

We had a very nice stay, and got it at a steal of a price (downtown San Jose must've not had anything going on that Saturday!). We would definitely return here again if we had a need to stay in San Jose.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thebeerhunter
Reviewed June 14, 2010

thank you so much for your kindness. i flew in from hawaii for a family reunion. i arrived 6 hours early and you let me take a nap, watch world cup soccer, and stashed my luggage so i could do a little site seeing befor everyone arrived. once everyone had arrived (15 of us) we completely took over the bar, re-arranged the seating, and started drinking and having our fun. not one of your employees rolled there eyes at us. they always had a smile and a great attitude. victor at the bar for the laker game, juan at breakfast, both were so nice. i only wish i knew the waitressees name at the bar on saturday. shewas great also. being from maui we like to share "aloha". and you all had it !!!!!! i thank you my family thanks you. God Bless you all.
ALOHA, cynthia von tempsky

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Your staff was extremely helpful. The rooms were clean. The area had a lot of restaurnats.
We were there for a competition at the Civic Auditorium, which was right next door - it was easily accessible.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2010

The Crowne Plaza name invokes high quality and is well-regarded generally. This hotel should not even carry that name.

The bedroom was cleaned fairly well, but the bathrooms were not. The smell of mildew was as haunting as the lack of an extraction fan for moisture.

Every night was a rough one. The entire street-side of the hotel was next to the trolley station, which either sounded a bell upon approach, or announced loudly that this trolley was no longer in service. This ended very late at night. I was awakened either by the trolley, the elephant who stayed in the room above me and whose urine stream sounded like it was above my bed, or I was awakened by the voices in the air duct of people arguing in the bathroom. Ah but wait, the plopping of newspapers in the hallway or the bill being shoved under my door was also a factor. So much noise! If you are a light or medium sound sleeper, skip this hotel, save your money and stay elsewhere.

Location was the only reason I chose it, and of course, I stupidly trusted the Crowne Plaza name.

The food was good as was the service, but it all was overshadowed by a hotel that probably has not seen a remodeling since the early 90's. Save your sanity, really...go elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2010

The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the convention center, and the hotel and room's decor is modern and updated. The bed is comfortable, and the toilet has a powerful, airplane-type of flush... very impressive. The walls are a bit thin, so I had a earful of hallway/elevator conversations whenever the tv isn't on. Since the Crowne Plaza is located along the light rail line, you can faintly hear the warning signals every so often throughout the late evenings and early mornings. The hotel staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful. I would definitely choose this hotel again for next year's convention.

There's are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance from the hotel, but not much night life. My only true complaint is that while it's business-oriented hotel, Crowne Plaza still tries to charge for internet access. The Marriott and Hilton are actually connected to the convention center, but I imagine the rates would be much higher (unconfirmed).

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business