“newly renovated Crowne Plaza”

Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Loved our stay at the Crowne Plaza. Rooms are newly refurbished and stylish in warm colors. Since I am a Priority Club Member, I received free breakfast vouchers, free drinks at the bar, free parking and a free bottle of mineral water. Internet is also free in the business corner in the lobby. Staff was extremely friendly and wanted us to leave very satisfied, which we did.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed October 3, 2008

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza San Jose Downtown for a conference. The convention center is just across the street, so the location is very convenient. The cab ride from the airport is about $17 (plus tip).

I had read a lot about the hotel being dingy and needing a remodel, and read a lot about it having been remodeled, as well. The hotel has indeed been remodeled and the old reviews are no longer relevant. In the last couple of years, the hotel has undergone many changes that address most of the concerns posted by earlier reviewers.

The lobby is clean and modern. The small bistro is small, but comfy and service was excellent. The elevators, although clearly retouched, I feel still show signs of having been the same old elevators (they are very slow and not very responsive).

The room is clean and spacious. It is new, as is the furniture and bedding. The bathroom has been remodeled as well, although the shower/tub does not drain very well.

Yes, there is a flat panel HDTV in the room (a brand I didn't recognize) but there are no HD channels. All channels are SD (and pretty poor picture quality, too!) The picture is stretched although you can access the menu on the TV to correct this (it resets to stretched picture every time you turn off the TV, though).

The sleep accessories are a nice touch which I didn't use (a sleep mask, ear plugs and lavender scent). The alarm clock is fancy, too.

The air conditioner in the room looks like the original model. I went straight to the a/c unit when I entered the room and couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Then I turned around and saw the panel on the wall. So it's all nicely controlled via a cool touch panel, but the a/c unit is noisy. My recommendation is that you bottom out the temperature in your room in the morning before you leave and then turn off the a/c when you get back. The last thing you want is for the unit to turn on at 4 am. Worse, still, it turns on and off frequently in a futile attempt to maintain the room's selected temperature (so that's why they give you earplugs!)

Downtown San Jose is right in the flight path to the airport. Doesn't matter what hotel you're in, but yeah, you're going to notice the airplanes. And if you're on the side facing the convention center, you'll hear the light rail running outside your window, but I didn't think it was that much of an intrusion.

So while the aesthetics have clearly been updated, the "guts" are still a little rough (slow elevator, noisy air conditioner, slow draining tub).

You have a variety of other options in the immediate convention center area, including the Marriott and the Hilton which actually flank the convention center, and the luxury Fairmont (downtown San Jose's only landmark, apparently) and (much older but very distinguished) Sainte Claire.

Dining is difficult to find (and pricey) in downtown San Jose. if you head east on San Carlos St. towards San Jose State University, you'll hit the college crowd and the requisite fast food places (including McDonalds). There is also a pedestrian mall that runs from the Fairmont to SJSU with a number of restaurants and a movie theater (expect a lot of places willing to sell you a 40 dollar steak).

The vending machines and ice machines in the Crowne Plaza are on even number floors. The shop in the lobby consists of a pantry cabinet. The nearest (good) place I found to shop for snacks and drinks (as well as souvenirs, post cards and stamps) was a Walgreens on the corner of 1st Street and Santa Clara.

Overall, the Crowne Plaza was nice but pricey, but then again, everything in San Jose was pricey. I paid nearly luxury room rates but I don't think those rates would gave gotten me in the door at the Fairmont or Sainte Claire. I don't think you'll find a cheaper place in downtown San Jose unless you're willing to compromise on safety and sanitation.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank rburriel
Reviewed August 28, 2008

This is a nice hotel located in a good area of downtown San Jose. We were able to walk everywhere. Good restaurants and shopping nearbye. The Convention Center is just a block away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2008

First, I'd like to say that this is a very nice hotel. The place is clean, comfortable, and well appointed with modern furnishings and nice bedding. The location is convenient to a wide range of downtown properties, including the Tech Museum, the Museum or Art, and numerous excellent restaurants. The staff was pleasant and helpful.

I wish I could also say the hotel was restful, but I think that's a matter of which side you stay on. The upper floors on the side facing West San Carlos Street are rather noisy with the regular passage of the San Jose Light Rail train (Ding, Ding!). The hotel is also pretty much directly under the glideslope of planes landing at nearby San Jose International airport (SJC), which can be be quite noisy during the evenings though around midnight (Woosh!). I'm not sure whether the trains or planes were worse, but both were pretty continuous sources of noise. I still think I would stay in the hotel again, but maybe only in a room not facing West San Carlos Street!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank IMJustVisiting
Reviewed October 20, 2007

I just stayed at the San Jose Crowne Plaza for an entire week. The hotel is nice on the eyes, and the beds were very comfortable. But that ends the positive comments.

Based on research that we had done before booking our trip, we had expected a courtesy shuttle that would pick us up from the airport. When we called from the airport and were told that they did not have a one, and were forced to pay for a taxi ride we were very surprised.
Imagine my surprise the next day when I saw the Crowne Plaza courtesy
shuttle parked behind the hotel. When I asked about the availability of the shuttle to return us to the hotel at the end of our stay, I was again told that they did not have a shuttle. Not wanting to argue
with the staff I let it go, resolved to pay for another taxi ride.

The staff was never rude and there was one desk clerk who was pleasant to deal with, but the few times I had to deal with any of the others, I got the impression that I was interrupting some other more important task. The air conditioner would let the room get uncomfortably warm at night before finally coming back on. In addition, the bath tub did not drain well and would accumulate 2-3 inches of water during the course of a normal shower.

If I have to stay in San Jose again, I will definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2007

This newly refurbished ($7,000,000!!) property is a gem, a total delight for the senses, from the moment one enters the stunning lobby/registration space.

Totally transformed common areas (banquet rooms, the restaurant/bar, athletic club, etc.) and sumputuosly appointed guest rooms (The pillows were so soft!) await the pampered guest. The lingering effect is, at once, boutique hotel sophisticated, civilized and soothing.

The staff was exceptional, unpretentious and always forthcoming, obviously inspired by the gracious GM, Dale Gannon. No extra request was too small, no question unresearched, both prior to our arrival and afterward.

Complimentary extras such as San Jose Mercury News, USA Today and NY Times newspapers, morning coffee and early evening homemade cookies and lemonade in the lobby, are just a few of the thoughtful (and much appreciated) guest ammenities.

Even parking is convenient, safe (adjacent, enclosed, well lit), safe, and, at just $18/night, a true bargain.

Adjacent to all downtown San Jose performing arts organizations, meeting spaces and restaurants, I will make the splendidly reborn Crowne Plaza San Jose Downtown my Silicon Valley haven!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank stryker94109
Reviewed September 19, 2007

One night here was enough before my eyes got over the 70's decor (it was new decor too) - the Hotel has a retro style to it which is pretty cute.

Unfortunately the aircon unit in my room had not been replaced since 1972 so it was quite a din until I moved rooms.

Certainly a convenient place to stay - right near the tech museum.

Onto my pro's and con's

Con's
Aircon needs upgrading, Beds average.

Pro's
Great for tour groups or families. Pretty funky environment.

I 'could' be back.