“Locational advantage only, average experience”

Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Noida, India
“Locational advantage only, average experience”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt Place for 5 days on business. The rooms are big and wifi was decent. But there is something wrong with the water in the rooms. You cannot drink it or wash your hair with it. The wifi speed is ok in the room. Surprising that even basics like a moisturizer are not provided and have to be asked for.

We probably got this hotel as it has breakfast included in the tariff. However they do not have a live counter for breakfast and by 7:30 a.m it is cold. They start breakfast at 6:30 and if you come at that time there is hardly any staff around. There is no variety in the breakfast and by the 5th day I was honestly quite tired of it.

The housekeeping staff is very responsive. They would immediately attend to any requests. Sleep quality is good. The location was an advantage as it is right opposite my office but could not think of anything special otherwise about this place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for the review and choosing the Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown. We take pride in providing a problem free stay for all of our guests so I apologize that your experienced was not that. I can assure you that this is the first water complaint we've received and we do have a third party company perform maintenance on it as well as the routine City checks. I hope you'll give us another chance to host you as I would welcome the opportunity to change this rating to a 5. Please contact me directly if you are ever in need of accommodations in San Jose again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I was in town for a convention at the center across the street. I really like Hyatt Place as well as Hampton inns because they dont pile on the fees like the "full service" hotels. Its nicer than the other hotel options in the area, the rooms are big, the wifi worked fine, amazing breakfast for free - I did not have a car but I suspect the only fee would be to park as its downtown and downtown areas always make you pay to park. I cant think of a single thing a business traveler would need that they dont offer. Maybe an airport van but cabs are plentiful. Staff are friendly and helpful (which you dont actually find at "full service hotels" Considering its in San Jose where a 1000 sq foot house is a million dollars this is reasonable - it might be cheaper to live at the hotel than buy a house in San Jose come to think of it! I cant say enough good things about the staff, friendly, helpful, responsive not pretentious like the "full service" hotels can be. I highly recommend and would stay here again.

Room Tip: away from elevators - higher floors seem less noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. We try very hard to provide the best service possible and we appreciate you recognizing our staff. We hope to have you back in the future and thank you for choosing the Hyatt Place San Jose Downtown!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

# Internet
WiFi speedtest failed in both hotel room and lobby. Email was only very occasionally successful.

# Power
Ample power outlets on desk and near bedside lamps.

# Work environment
Full desk with office chair along with an apartment sized sofa

# Complaints
* Noise from pressured pipes in walls
* Noise from maid closet across the hall
* Noise from street level train
* Noise from San Jose airport jets
* Wifi too weak and frustrating for email management

# Compliments

* Where you able to work remotely: No
* How many days did you stay: 5
* How many nights did you stay: 4

1 Thank danactive
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. Your feedback is important to us and is vital for us to consistently improve our hotel and services. We are currently in the process now of soundproofing our rooms as we understand it was needed. We have also done testing and have improved our internet considerably with the help of our third party vendor. If you would like to discuss in more detail, please feel free to call me directly. We look forward to another opportunity to host you in the future!
Orem, Utah
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I've stayed at a couple Hyatt Places this year so far, I haven't really been impressed with any of them, they are very dated and this one was no different. The staff was great, no complaints there at all. The breakfast was free so I shouldn't complain, but I wish they had fresh eggs, the only protein you could get was reheated breakfast sandwiches, very heavy fat wise. They had a wonderful fruit salad and huge bowl of fresh yogurt. The room was fine, nothing spectacular, little bit on the small side, with the bathroom being very small. I liked the couch in the room. The hotel is right under the landing path for the airport just up the road, luckily they don't have any flights in the middle of the night, but don't be shocked at the noise during the day and into the early evening. It was walking distance to everywhere I needed to go, so I didn't need to rent a car. The gym was only dumbbells, a couple treadmills and some elipticals, not great, but good enough to get a workout in.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mattk_97
Thank you for the comments on the hotel. We are in the process of soundproofing our rooms and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I am glad to hear the service was good for you and we look forward to another opportunity to have you back.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Was in town for a convention. Location is in downtown, but didn't walk to anything. Had our car so no problem. Another reviewer stated that a car was broken into in the parking lot. I simply parked on the top floor (4) which was wide open. I actually saw my car from my room. To me the lot was very safe. I didn't witness any suspicious activity at all. I did notice that there are areas of the parking lot on the other side that are somewhat hidden. I wouldn't park there anyway. The hotel does not offer valet parking. There is a small area for temporary "check in" parking. Do not be concerned about the self parking. The hotel does charge for the parking. Check in was very easy. There is a small "Starbucks like" type of food and coffee area to the left of check in. The free breakfast was probably one of the best I have ever had. Didn't feel crowded even though the hotel was sold out. Lots of seating. The rooms are on the smaller side, but that didn't bother me at all. The air conditioner was in the window and was also not a problem. The room and bathroom were both spotless. Bathroom kind of small, but once again no problem. Room came with refrigerator, no microwave. Bring an extension cord. Hardly had any plugs in room. There is a microwave in the lobby. Didn't have time to check out the gym or anything else. No bellman, but there were luggage carts. Slept very well. Like I said hotel was sold out, but noise was never an issue. Bed was definitely comfortable. Staff was so friendly. Would definitely stay again. Thank you Hyatt for a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: There is a train on one side of the hotel that does make noise. Just request a room on the parking...
1 Thank californiamom
Thank you for the review and we look forward to having you back again soon!
oxnard, ca
Reviewed March 2, 2014

our plans needed a hotel near the convention center where our grandchildren were involved in a dancing competition. They dance at various hours with a lot of down time. Convenience was a must. The front desk was very helpful and the breakfast was among the best we had encountered in a long time. This hotel fit our plans to the tee. Price and location cannot be beat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I hope your grandchildren had fun at the dance competition and we hope to see you all back real soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 2, 2014

For business travel, I stay in a wide range of hotel properties, from Hampton Inn to Kimpton properties. The Hyatt Place shares characteristics of both.

Location: Centrally located in downtown. Walking distance to a myriad of restaurants, museums and the convention center.

Lobby: Clean, open lobby with nice bar area. Plenty of space to work, lounge with a cocktail or dine.

Food: I give an automatic four stars if your breakfast includes choices of hot proteins (ie. eggs) and has delicious coffee. But a FREE breakfast of this quality? 5 stars, baby. Also, they offer a very tasty, 24-hour menu. Excellent cheese plate and salads. Very good portions and value.

Service: As good as any hotel in recent memory. Prompt, courteous, engaging. Remembered my name and I am not an elite level customer. Thanks, Augustin!

Room: Contemporary room design and decor. Sectional couch in living space. Very comfortable, firm bed. Important note: If you are not used to city noise - buses, trains, traffic - make sure you are either 5th floor or higher or in a room not facing the street. I was on the 3rd floor above a hotel entrance and even the white noise maker and air conditioner running together could not quiet the noise. The walls are a little on the thin side also. Another plus for the service is that I was kindly offered another room for the last two nights of my stay.

Amenities: Gym has a decent variety of cardio machines and a bench with some dumbbells. If you like to lift, head a few blocks to the 24-Hour Fitness. The free wi-fi connectivity was horrible. So poor that I quit attempting to use the laptop, even though the signal was showing almost full strength. Seems to be a common theme for many hotels. Not sure if they had an option to pay for something better.

Value: I paid $299/night which I felt was on the high side, however, that might be the norm in San Jose. In SF, you are in a Kimpton or W property for the same rate.

Overall, if you bring your own wi-fi card and get the right room, I bet you'll be adding that fifth star for the Hyatt Place.

Room Tip: If you are on the 5th floor or lower, be sure to request a room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for all of the kind words. We look forward to improving and getting that 5 on your next visit. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Place!