“So Close to Five”

Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed March 2, 2014

For business travel, I stay in a wide range of hotel properties, from Hampton Inn to Kimpton properties. The Hyatt Place shares characteristics of both.

Location: Centrally located in downtown. Walking distance to a myriad of restaurants, museums and the convention center.

Lobby: Clean, open lobby with nice bar area. Plenty of space to work, lounge with a cocktail or dine.

Food: I give an automatic four stars if your breakfast includes choices of hot proteins (ie. eggs) and has delicious coffee. But a FREE breakfast of this quality? 5 stars, baby. Also, they offer a very tasty, 24-hour menu. Excellent cheese plate and salads. Very good portions and value.

Service: As good as any hotel in recent memory. Prompt, courteous, engaging. Remembered my name and I am not an elite level customer. Thanks, Augustin!

Room: Contemporary room design and decor. Sectional couch in living space. Very comfortable, firm bed. Important note: If you are not used to city noise - buses, trains, traffic - make sure you are either 5th floor or higher or in a room not facing the street. I was on the 3rd floor above a hotel entrance and even the white noise maker and air conditioner running together could not quiet the noise. The walls are a little on the thin side also. Another plus for the service is that I was kindly offered another room for the last two nights of my stay.

Amenities: Gym has a decent variety of cardio machines and a bench with some dumbbells. If you like to lift, head a few blocks to the 24-Hour Fitness. The free wi-fi connectivity was horrible. So poor that I quit attempting to use the laptop, even though the signal was showing almost full strength. Seems to be a common theme for many hotels. Not sure if they had an option to pay for something better.

Value: I paid $299/night which I felt was on the high side, however, that might be the norm in San Jose. In SF, you are in a Kimpton or W property for the same rate.

Overall, if you bring your own wi-fi card and get the right room, I bet you'll be adding that fifth star for the Hyatt Place.

Room Tip: If you are on the 5th floor or lower, be sure to request a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for all of the kind words. We look forward to improving and getting that 5 on your next visit. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Place!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

While looking for a hotel in the San Jose area we found the Hyatt Place Downtown. The price was right and the reputation of the chain was good. What we found was a very clean, upscale hotel with free wifi, free hot breakfast, congenial and helpful staff all in the downtown area. Its convenient to walk to numerous locations in the downtown and is surrounded by bountiful restaurants at various levels. The only negative is the fact that there is a fairly expensive cost to park a vehicle, but then parking in the downtown area is at a premium. This IS a location that I would return to when I need to be in the downtown of San Jose.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a new hotel in a good, central location across the street from the ocean. The staff was over-the-top courteous and helpful. The restaurant had a great breakfast bar and was good for a quick late night meal when we didn't want to go back out after a long day of excursions.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dona G
Reviewed February 16, 2014

If visting the Downtown San Jose, this is the place to stay. Centrally located and walking distance to everything downtown has to offer: the River Park, The SAP Arena, the Convention center and the Center for Performing Arts are right across the street, the Civic & Montgomery Theater next door, Childrens Discovery, the Tech, San Pedro's Square all within a short walk away.
The Hotel has been remodeled. It is modern and seek, without the swanky pricetag. Breakfast is included with something for every taste. The room I had was a Jr. Queen Suite, it was huge! (Nearly 600 sq ft.) Two full bathrooms, mini fridge, two big flat screens, Wi-fi, and a sectional sofa. There is a business center off the lobby, a fitness center and free parking for guests.
The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone going to San Jose.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for all of your kind words and taking the time to write a review!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel is pretty close to the airport, as well as being close to a number of downtown businesses. It's also pretty much right next to the flight path. Fortunately, flights seem to wind down about 10pm or so, but if you tend toward bed earlier than that, either seek other lodging or bring earplugs

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts on the hotel. We are in the process of soundproofing our rooms to help reduce the noise from outside. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit and I will make sure you do not have an issue with noise while you are here. Thank you again and we appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed here on my recent trip to San Jose because my usual hotels (Fairmont, Marriott) were booked or $300+ a night. The rooms were modern, clean and plenty big. They provide an excellent breakfast from 6 to 9 - including breakfast sandwiches, iced juices and lots of breads, cereals, etc. and the room rate was about half of the others.

The checked out the pictures of the Fitness room and only saw two treadmills - so I planned to use the local Gold's gym. But when I got to the hotel I found 4 treadmills, a couple of ellipticals and a recumbent bike - a dumbbell rack from 5 to 50lb. and plenty of open space. I suggested they get some mats and exercise balls in the email survey they sent me after staying.

The staff was very helpful. I mean that sincerely. they went out of their way to help me with a printing issue I was having in their business center and we got it quickly resolved. The hotel is close to the local light rail - which some of my co-workers who were on lower floors said was an issue at night, due to the train announcements. I slept with a white noise app on my iPhone and also the fan set to high in the room, but I might suggest a higher floor or a room on the opposite side if you're a light sleeper.

One thing I really liked in the room, were the outlets, they very convenient. Above the desks, counters, etc. so you can easily plug in all your electronic gear. Small idea, but really nice.

I will definitely look to stay here again.

Room Tip: Select an upper floor (7 or 8) and/or one on the side opposite (North) so the VTA commuter rail does...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

We are glad to be your favorite hotel in the area as we try very hard to provide our guests with great customer service. Thank you for your loyalty to the Hyatt Place San Jose and we look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt Place for a volleyball tournament that was being held at the convention center. We had reserved through a travel agency and got a great price which included breakfast, discounted parking and free wifi.

The good:

The location was perfect. Situated across the street from the Convention Center.

Parking was easy and plentiful.

The staff was very accommodating, I had been given a bad quote in regards to the discounted parking. What I had signed up for was $10/night but the discounted rate was supposed to be $19. A typo and miscommunication on the travel agency's part but the front desk staff/manager honored the $10 which was above and beyond was was expected.

The breakfast was hot and the the selection was good each day of our stay.

The bad:

Our room was big (two double beds, couch, huge TV) and well laid out. Upon first look we were pleased, but then we took a whiff. It smelled like the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride at Disney. Musty with a side of chemicals. We were told that the hotel was book and that a room wasn't available. So we lived with it but turning on the air conditioning so that we could hopefully blow out the smell. Nothing really worked.

The wall were also very thin. You could hear the noise in the hallways and since our room faced the street we also could hear the sirens throughout the night. So if you're sensitive to sound, bring some plugs.

I would actually return to this hotel. The positives outweighed the negative (at least for me). Tip for the day, stay away from room 624.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends