“Mixed bag”

Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Petaluma
“Mixed bag”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Incredibly nice staff. Rooms look nice, if small. Very nice bed. Decent location.

But the air conditioning can't keep the room cooler than 74 degrees even though I've been running it for hours now and its probably 60 degrees outside. And its crazy noisy. And the internet, which was working well at 7pm, is now virtually unusable. I've had to disconnect from the Wi-Fi repeatedly just to get this review finished. I keep getting new login prompts, sites stop responding and you have to repeat the whole shebang. Sorry, but this is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor in the summer. The upper floors get too hot and the A/C doesn't work very...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay. Please know that we are in the process of upgrading our internet as we know how essential it is for our guests. In addition, please feel free to contact me personally so that we may verify your room number and address the AC issue you experienced. Feedback such as this is very helpful for us to constantly improve. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cobb, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very pleased. Nice property, great staff! Staff was always friendly and made sure I had everything I needed. I also like the computer area. It was so helpful to not need to set up my laptop. I was very pleased and would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our staff and we look forward to having you back again soon!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The hotel had a water and electric shut down while we were there, it was a city issue not their fault. They called all the guests in advance to let us know about the issue, the staff went out of their way to ensure they had a game plan in place for their guests safety, security, and comfort, and this all hands on deck effort was evident. The rooms were very nice, you could tell from the outside the building was older, but inside you would never have known, looked exactly the same as a brand new Hyatt Place, this was my first time with this brand, but will not be my last. Location in San Jose was excellent, and again staff and accomodations were top notch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We take great pride in delivering exceptional customer service even under difficult circumstances such as this one. I look forward to another opportunity to host you as our guests!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Spent 4 nights at this hotel a few weeks ago. The rooms are much smaller than most of the Hyatt Places I have stayed at.

Upon check in, my room was not closed (door was open), but luckily everything was fine and I checked that everything would remain fine.

One of my favorite staples of Hyatt hotels is that they put toothpaste in your rooms, however, this hotel was out of toothpaste.

This hotel had the TVs set up so you can connect your computer to the TV, however the connection cables were not in the room and nobody in the hotel seemed to understand what that system needed, or what it did. An engineer even came to my room, looked at what I was talking about, went downstairs to see what he could find, but never got back to me.

My favorite part of the hotel was the gym. Great job with the gym!

It is an average hotel, but im not sure that I will be back.

Room Tip: Stay away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to write this review on our hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve and please know that your comments will be addressed with the team. We would appreciate the opportunity to have you back and please feel free to contact me personally to arrange accommodations for you.
glendale Ca.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Rooms are small, this hotel was just remodel trying to be a Hyatt place, but no way! this is a old hotel! Its like a painting a old car with bad paint. Its location only good close to convention center. hey parking 21.00, remember!!!

Room Tip: drive a few more miles and find another hyatt place!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank beachman29
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

A mixed bag at this hotel overall. Some of the staff were awesome (Justin are you reading this?) while others acted as though my questions on where to park a rental car or call a taxi were bothersome.

The rooms are large with nice bathrooms, but if you face the main street, the noise from the street (cable cars, traffic signals for walk, trucks) can keep you up all night even on the seventh floor! Also, noise from the nearby San Jose airport was quite loud, but usually stopped around midnight.

Also the clientele was problematic. Twice I had to call security for partying that went on until 3AM on a week-night. (I booked 3 nights for business/conference)

The breakfast was actually nice considering it is included in the pricing...however the lunch and dinner menus are VERY limited as is the selection of wines. I went across the street for dinner one night rather than order in the Hyatt Place restaurant. Not a place to take clients for dinner.

Wifi was adequate and the ride to the airport quite short at about $20 each way.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the parking lot or away from the main street are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hypatia18
Stockton, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here for a dance competition for our daughter. We brought our two year old also, thinking we could swim or walk around downtown.
Pros:
-breakfast served daily in the lobby. Not the best breakfast, but there was oatmeal and dry cereal, which you can't mess up. The eggs were too wet!
-close enough to walk to the Children's Museum, Tech Museum, and places to eat. (the zoo is a short drive)
-nice rooms. Clean, comfortable

Cons:
-Parking is across a little driveway and is also public parking. It gets full quickly. (maybe because we were there with a lot of other dancers?)
-when we walked in for the first time, we couldn't find the front desk. No one was around to help and we didn't see where it could be. We roamed and finally found it attached to the bar.
-no pool (fitness center, but what is a 2 year old going to do there?)
-slow elevators. Really slow. We never found the stairs.

This is a better hotel for a business trip. I'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family