“Nice renovations, great staff but horrible bookkeeping” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Bayside, New York
“Nice renovations, great staff but horrible bookkeeping”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I had a hard time rating this hotel. The hotel was renovated very nicely, rooms were lovely and clean, and the staff was beyond nice. The hotel is located right across the street from the Convention Center, which was nice for our purpose. If my story ended there, it would have been a 5-star no-brainer rating. The reason why I hestitate is b/c we had problems w/ their recordkeeping from day one. First, our room key did not work. After 4 failed attempts at 2am, they gave us a new room. On our 3rd night, the key stopped working again. They had no record of our names in their system, when we went to the desk about this. Then, 2 months later, my credit card was charged for the room, even though my fellow traveler's card was also charged in full. To this day, the hotel billing person has not gotten back to me on this, even though she said she would.
The bottom line: beautiful hotel, super-friendly staff, but be prepared for logistical hassles!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank suzyandbetsy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for conference and was amazed on how different the hotel looked from my previous stay. The staff were amazing as soon I walked in I was greeted by a front desk clerk. After my check in the clerk (Mario) offered me a tour of their new lobby I was really shocked on how different and opened the restaurant and bar area was. I highly recommend this hotel if your in the San Jose ca area. I also thought the rooms were really nicely renovated with a separate sitting area, big plus for me. Forgot to mention that there is FREE wifi and breakfast yes FREE huge improvement!

Room Tip: The hotel does not have a pool but I was told by an agent they own the Hilton across the street and...
1 Thank Mel L
Monza, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I had a very pleasant stay at Hyatt Place.

My room was spacious and very comfortable with a 42" flat panel LCD TV and a large desk.

Breakfast was excellent with a large selection of cereals, donuts, blackberry and raspberry, hot plates, juices and coffee and tea.

In front of the reception area there is a small self service business area with computers and printers, perfect for an online check-in before your flight.

The hotel itself is located in the center of San Jose, near South Market street and just in front of the convention area. Perfect!

You have complimentary wi-fi and a nice fitness room with at elast four treadmills. There is also a multi-level car park at charge.

1 Thank AGall0
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Ok. I was trying to choose between staying at this hotel or somewhere else. After calling on three different occasions and being placed on hold for about 10 minutes, I'm staying at the other hotel. If they can't pick up the phone for someone calling to make reservations, how are they going to treat me after I check in?

Their customer service needs a lot of help, and their first impression is horrible. They are losing business because of it!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FemaleTraveler902
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

The Positive
The hotel's lobby is beautifully designed, featuring comfortable areas to chat, read, think and eat. The free breakfast is surprisingly good, with several healthy options, just as one can expect in Northern California.

The Negative
The staff is poorly trained and had difficulties completing basic tasks. I experienced troubles with multiple staff members, who -- amazingly -- were all friendly and welcoming. However, positive attitude is not a substitute for competency.

For example, I requested a quiet room, but it turned out to be mission impossible. Despite a prolonged conversation at check-in, and even after I agreed to trade down to a smaller room, the receptionist placed me in a room facing the train tracks. "Light rail" or not, even on a high floor the noise woke me daily at 6 AM. Later, other employees managed to bungled the room balance, gave wrong driving directions and postage prices. Malfunctioning equipment in the room was fixed only after multiple calls to the reception.

All in all, I judge this property to be over priced at $140 (before $20 in taxes and fees).

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
16 Thank WarmWhite
Las Vegas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

I cant believe the hotel is very pretty cool, the problem i dont like the General Manager she's not helpful and not good for customer service. But i like all the front desk is friendly coz ur welcome.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bethune, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

Almost everything in this hotel is above par. All of the clerks at the front desk were very helpful. The FREE breakfast was nice, breakfast sandwiches, pancakes, fruit, oatmeal, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, etc. The rooms were clean and fresh. I actually had enough plugs for all of my electronics I travel with. The only drawback to the hotel that I saw and is only a problem if you are short, like me, is the shower head is up so high and you can't move it. There are so many good places to eat right at the hotel and they have a limited bar menu so there is no need for an onsite restaurant. I would recommend this hotel, it is one of the best I have stayed in recently.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business