All reviews parking lot howard johnson gas station nice pool san jose airport light rail free breakfast pool and hot tub yogurt free shuttle bed was comfortable one night stay rental car fitness center chipotle starbucks property
Selected filters
Reviewed March 25, 2019

If I was just reviewing the hotel, it would probably get 5 stars, so let me start with the good.

Location was great for me as I was consulting for the new Bay 101 across the street. It was a 4 minute door to door walk, and if I was going to Matrix it was like 1 minute. A couple of food and drink options right by the front door. Great for business travelers.

The room itself was basic but had everything I needed, including a fridge, a microwave, and a coffee maker. I never used the coffee maker as there was hot coffee 24/7 at the front desk, and the coffee was actuallly GOOD!

What was even better was the included breakfast every morning. A waffle maker along with eggs is a pretty nice thing to have at a hotel breakfast. I left breakfast stuffed everyday which is great because work didn't give me opportunities to eat.

Now, the bad.

First off, they completely botched my airport shuttle pickup. Long story short, I called the hotel 5 or 6 times and confirmed my pickup spot each time. They screwed up and were wrong about my pickup spot, so I spent 50 minutes waiting on the curb before the shuttle finally arrived. Not a good way to start a trip, especially when I had plans upon landing.

The hotel assistant manager apologized when I followed up, and I thought that would be the last I would need to speak with him. I did have to speak with him once more at check out when I realized my Platinum check-in benefit was not offered, but he rectified that quickly for me. If that was the end of the visit, I'd look past the airport pickup and give them four stars.

But here I am two days after check-out and I was double charged. They put almost a $2,000 charge on my card I left for incidentals, even though the stay was prepaid on another card. If I hadn't caught this myself, I likely would have paid twice. Called the manager again and he has told me it's been fixed and I should see a reversal of the charges, but it goes deeper than that. That credit's card limit is now maxed out, and it likely has reprecussions further than that as I am working on a spend bonus on that card. So this charge and reversal will send my account into review.

Like I said, the hotel itself was great. But too many issues on little things that shouldn't happen. How can their system just double charge for the room? For thousands of dollars? That is NOT an error that should be made, and I was offered nothing in compensation for the headache that has ensued because of it.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Rhoda B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2019

Hello veeRob,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay at our location. We would like to apologize that you had multiple issues during your stay. We have discussed your comments with the team to ensure that this is not a reoccurring practice moving forward and have utilized this as a training opportunity. We appreciate the positive and negative comments. We do hope that we will have another opportunity to better your experience whenever your travels bring you back to San Jose.

Reviewed March 21, 2019 via mobile

Nice room, clean and well maintained. Breakfast had bacon & Eggs with many of the other standard items. The staff was friendly. Enjoyed the warm pool after a day of hiking. We had spent the previous night at Surestay, so it was nice to be in a clean roomier room.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2019

Clean and well maintained. Staff is always efficient, friendly and helpful. The price is very competitive. The location is great, one mile from airport terminal. There are five inexpensive restaurants at the location.

Date of stay: December 2018

Can't wait to greet you again during your next visit to San Jose. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to meet your expectations.

Reviewed February 16, 2019

They let us check in early and were so kind at the front desk. The property is lovely, but our room smells like cat poo. I'm not sure if this is a pet friendly property, but the smell is quite off-putting. Especially because I'm not a pet person.

Room tip: The ground floor rooms open to a lovely courtyard garden and has comfortable chairs on the private patio for each room.
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Rhoda B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2019

Thank you for your honest feedback. We apologize that your overall stay was not pleasant and will share your comment with the appropriate team members. We are glad to hear though that our front desk team was able to get you into a room earlier then check in time. We hope we will be able to have another opportunity to better your experience for your next future visit to San Jose.

Reviewed February 3, 2019

After my experience earlier in the day at a different San Jose Hotel, this one was refreshingly easy and totally satisfactory for a one night stay near the airport. Clean, pet friendly, good restaurant.

Date of stay: January 2019