WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites San Jose Airport

Fairfield Inn & Suites San Jose Airport
Ranked #23 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Seattle, Washington
“Convenient and a good price on weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've probably stayed at this place a dozen to fifteen times this year. I wouldn't expect a parade welcoming me when I walk through the door, but some sort of acknowledgement would be nice. That only occasionally happens here... not very often. I arrived at 1:30PM. Having flown across the country, I wearily asked if I could check in. Without even asking for my name or checking her computer or making a call to housekeeping, the immediate response from the trainee at the desk was that check-in was at 3:00. I asked if that meant no rooms were ready. I persisted, knowing that I have checked in as early as 9:30 many times. She agreed to look up my reservation and then said that my room was not ready yet and she called housekeeping. We were then waiting for a while for housekeeping to call back, and she asked me to take a seat. I asked if there were another room, as I really just wanted to check in and couldn't imagine there were no rooms available. And then, like that, my room was ready.

The hotel is in a great location, convenient to the freeways and downtown. The breakfast room staff is very friendly and attentive; if you stick with the boxed cereal, it's fine. The rooms are a little tired. I find that hallway noise carries into the room easily here. Because the hotel shares a parking lot with popular lunchtime spots, the parking lot is crazy for a couple of hours midday. On my last night, I requested a wake-up call that I never got. Fortunately I had set my phone alarm as back-up. I'll keep staying here because the weekend price is good, but this time my arrival and departure left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: I find the more quiet rooms to be on the third floor of the larger building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Paso Robles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel is average. The customer service is good. Arrived a couple hours later than check in time and front desk still had to double check with cleaning staff to see if room was ready. I requested a crib/playpen for my son when reserving the room and it wasn't in the room when I arrived, but they got it to me right away. Upon arriving I could see some aspects of the room needed updating. The carpet looked old, room had AC blasting (so cold, brrr!) and had a smell to it (best description-it was old carpet smell), bathroom had no blower and the towel rack had some rust on it. There is a safe to secure items, but that even looked old and was not operating properly. Part of our visit was to attend a friend's son's birthday at Chuck E Cheese and the front desk was kind enough to give me a print out with directions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is not a typical Fairfield Inn. It was a conversion from another Chain. I could not remember what Chain.This one has a very nice pool and spa. The room is OK with large bathroom. It takes a little effort to get to it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We recently held our biannual Air Force Squadron reunion in San Jose, and as the host, I chose this Fairfield Inn. Two main reasons for staying here was the location adjacent to San Jose Airport with free shuttle and the freedom to use the breakfast area in the evenings, to meet in. Our agenda is to go out on sightseeing trips daily, returning to the hotel after dinner, for a get-together, and to use this breakfast room, was perfect. Accomidation wise, I found this hotel to be very clean, and has a very comfortable mattress to sleep on. The breakfast buffett was good, and with the size of the room, not crowded, as I have found at some places. There are a few fast food places adjacent to the hotel and several restaurants within close driving. I found the bathroom a little small, and this is due to the fact this was previously a HJ. All in all, I would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Gig Harbor, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We are loyal Marriott travelers so have stayed at this hotel twice in the past for the location and ease of access to airport and Santa Clara University. Rooms are spacious, but bathrooms are tight with odd placement of toilet and paper holder. Towels are quite thin and tub area definitely needs some updating as tub looks dirty and grout and paper is peeling. Nice to have a fridge and microwave and rooms that look out onto the courtyard have a pleasant view. The rooms are basic with a small desk area. There is a business center but really only adequate for printing out boarding passes. I thought the rates were a bit high even with the AAA discount. The staff was pleasant, but didn't know the hours of the Starbucks across the way. If our student chooses SCU, we will probably look for another Marriott in which to stay on an ongoing basis.

Stayed October 2012
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Obviously an old style motel that had the outer walkways enclosed to either give more of an upscale feel, or to keep the vagrants hanging outside across the drive from the lobby from wandering into a room being cleaned. After entering our room - wow words can not do justice. From the cheesy popcorn ceiling, to the 1/2 empty toiletries,obviously used by a previous customer, the long black hair in the sink, the non draining shower, mysterious stains on the shower surround - this is not one of the Marriott corporations prime properties. But at LEAST they put granite countertops in the bathroom - like putting lipstick on a pig! Most hotels are now using duvets on their beds - duvets inside a COVER. Not here, they lay the old, gray, duvet on top of the top sheet, then lay what to my inexpert eye is an old curtain ( complete with rod pocket!) on top of the duvet, so it gives the appearance of a duvet. Furnishings, squeezed inside the shoebox sized room are either trying to be cool and hipster,or are original to the
hotel. I vote the latter. On the plus side the breakfast was average, and the hotel was close to the airport.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I highly recommend staying at this Marriott property. This facility is very clean and the staff is accommodating. I arrived at around 2 am and was promptly checked in by the staff. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. My only complaint would be about the bathroom. While it was clean, it could use some maintenance.

The continental breakfast is served from 6am - 9am. The food is adequate and consists of waffles, cheese omelettes, waffles, breakfast sandwiches, cereal, juice and coffee. Since it is included in the price of the room rate, I think that it’s something that shouldn’t be complained about because it is completely optional. Also, the breakfast room is located separately from the lobby in the Garden Terrace. The room is very large and clean and has two huge TVs and couches.

The area surrounding the hotel is great! There is a Starbucks, Pho restaurant, Subway, pizza place and a casino located nearby. I highly recommend this property for a short stay due to its convenient location. The rates are great too!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple