Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Jose Airport
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

10 minutes drive to san jose airport car rental return, good breakfast, very nice pool, clean rooms, excellent wifi, plenty free parking spots. Very good value. Would definitely recommend. The hotel was a pleasant surprise way better than i expected.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
key west
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had occassion to visit this hotel during the holiday season and the decorations and entertainment were Fabulous. It was conveniently located to food, shopping and entertainment. What a lovely hotel!

Room Tip: Be kind to your Concierge'
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked another hotel in San Jose but when we got there we were afraid to stay here so we called up the Fairfield Inn by the airport. They were nice enough to give us a nice room right away. Since they did not have a room with two beds, the staff sent us a roll away bed for our daughter. The bed was already in our room by the time we got there.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After a long trip and after 4 Hotels that were fully booked nearby we reserved a room at the Fairfield Inn & Suites at the Airport. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and organized a suppl. bed for 2 adults and 3 children in a Suite. The bed was delivered - but not enough linnen for it and no bedding for the pull out couch. After a call, housekeeping delivered 2 linnen while we were at the pool. We tryed to arrange, cause we didn't want to call for a third time late in the evening and so we used our own bath towels as bed linnens. Unfortunately, we only had 3 shower towels prepared in our room - and I guess, we would have had to call again to ask for enough towels for 5. At the pool area we saw, that we could drop the pool towels, but there were no fresh towels either. The room would have space and even a table and a small kitchenette. Everything was old and would need a renovation. Why do they have big balconies, but no chairs or tables on them? They have a second bathroom but it is senseless cause it is dark and no towels, no shower gel, nothing. Maybe just to write, that the suite has 2 bathrooms? Not only the towels weren't enough, also we had one very small portion of shower gel that lasts for 1 person and 1 very small shampoo, that last for another.... I know, with late arrivals, a Hotel can not prepare for 5. But if there are 5, it would be easy for housekeeping to think: "If I bring a bed and they need the pullout couch too, I will have to bring more linnen and more towels..."
Well, at the end, at least breakfast was not too bad. We had a nice table outside and we liked the milk portions with real milk.

1 Thank Kaiser96
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have some mixed feelings about this hotel. First of all, the shuttle was prompt to pick me up and to take me back to the airport, so that was good. The front desk staff were all very polite and helpful. I was actually thanked for staying with them when I left which is very rare these days! The pool was quite a good size for a Fairfield Inn and the gym had a lot of equipment and was a decent size. There were a lot of choices for breakfast although I was also there when there were a lot of kids in town for water polo and the food was running out by the time I got there. There are also quite a few places to eat right across the parking lot from the hotel which is very convenient. My room was also very quiet. I never heard any hotel or outside noise at all which was great. Now for my negatives. The layout of the hotel is a little odd. It's strange how you need to get to some of the rooms (either a long walk around the hotel or throught a gate in outside corridors) and I think there was only one elevator on one side of the hotel. I thought the hallways and the windows in the hallways could use some TLC . It was depressing walking down the halls. My room definitely needed some updating. There was a strange combination of colors and furniture. The bathtub looked a little worn and I did not like the shower head. It was one that you could not adjust at all. My fan was also a bit noisy so I could not leave it on all night. The business center only had one computer which was a bit strange considering the size of the hotel. Not sure if I would stay there again, but might if the price was right and if I needed to be close to the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My family stayed 1 night here before we drove on to the next destination. the hotel is clean and modern. Our room has 2 queen beds and has enough space for 4 people to roam around. We got the ground level which has a walk-out patio. The complimentary breakfast is served in a separate building from the lobby (only a very short walk) by the outdoor pool. I was surprised by how large the breakfast area is. As pricey as real estate is in San Jose, I thumb-up Marriott for dedicating this much space for an amenity that is free to guests. Bravo Marriott !!! Breakfast included variety of fruits, Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits (thawed in wrap), waffles, cererals, mufflins, toasts, bagles,...

There is no shortage of free USA Today newspaper in the lobby and in the breakfast area. In the lobby, guests will find ice water in a punch bowl throughout the day and cookies in the afternoon. Parking was easy to find. Location is next to freeway entrance/exit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Henderson, NV
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The Good: I like this hotel because of the location and this has made me a repeat guest. The hotel is just across the street from the VTA light rail Airport/Metro station making it easy to get downtown in 15 minutes or less if you don't have a rental car. Lots of great restaurants in different price ranges are downtown and the light rail trains are so frequent.

For those using the hotel for next day airport departures, it is excellent as well with two options to get to the terminals - the hotel shuttle service or the free VTA #10 Airport bus that leaves a block away from the hotel every 20 minutes.

And if you rent a car, everything is really close. The Winchester Mystery House, the San Jose Flea Market, the Winchester Mall and the swanky restaurant/shopping district across the street from this mall are all within a 4-5 miles of the hotel. But if your goal is just to go to a Sharks game, see the Tech Museum and eat downtown, the VTA light rail is sufficient. Save money by not staying at the expensive downtown hotels, stay at the Fairfield San Jose Airport and just take the light rail back and forth. Its convenient.

The Deficiencies: Breakfast selection is good. But if there is some high school sports team like the girl's water polo teams staying when we were there, forget about it as they hog all the egg patties, bacon and other food to "load up on protein" as their coach was yelling at them to do. The staff is not able to accommodate these instances of high demand. So if you got a bunch of sports teams happening to be at the hotel for a tournament, either go really early or just head across the street and buy a coffee and breakfast sandwich at Starbucks or Subway and bring it back to your room to eat in peace. Otherwise if its not jammed, the hotel's breakfast would be fine giving you a fair chance to choose any item. Basically I'm saying the staff can't keep up to replenish food in reasonable time if the dining area is mobbed.

Room air conditioning smelled musty and mildewy. It was also super loud whenever it ran on the auto setting. So I put in my ear plugs at night. I don't remember this in my prior visits. The cool air was great, but the odor not so great if you are in the bed right next to the vent. They need a revamp of the a/c and heating system for guest rooms to address these issues.

Toilet can flush minor amounts of waste, but the waste clogged into the piping underneath causing water to overflow onto the bathroom floor. When we went to get extra towels to dry off the floor, the maid said this happens all the time. So they might want to do some plumbing improvements if the maids see this all the time. Never had an overflow in all sorts of hotels in many different price ranges I have stayed at all over the world. Luckily this happened to us just once on the morning we were leaving.

We had a reservation for 3 people (2 in the King and 1 in the sleeper sofa) but the sleeper sofa had just a mattress when opened with no sheets supplied in the room. Had to call at 11pm to get them delivered.

Now these are annoyances but I still like the hotel due to the location factor. Due to the location, I bump it up to a rating of 3 instead of 2. I hope the issues are addressed so I can have BOTH a great location and a great hotel.

Additionally, there are a few convenient quick service restaurants right in the same parking lot as the hotel (Chipotle, Starbucks, NYPD Subs, Subway) as well as a convenience store.

If they fix the deficiencies it would deserve a 4 rating in the future -- Hotels only last so long if things like plumbing, air systems and service standards are not maintained and paid attention to as the years go by.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the outdoor front corridor on the second floor if you want a quiet r...