“Decent place, clean”

Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Clovis, Calif
“Decent place, clean”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Stayed one night for my son's game. Easy check in. Rooms average hotel room size, smallish bathroom. Very clean. Quiet. Stayed in a 2 "queen" room. Actually the beds were more in the double bed size range than queen. It's a complex of 2-story buildings, easy to navigate. They state it's a continental breakfast, it was more of a deluxe continental. No hot dishes per se but they had a round egg-type pancake and bacon which you could microwave for a hot meal; also french toast. Good variety of cold cereals, yogurt, canned fruit, oatmeal, toasts, and hard boiled eggs. There's a Sarbucks, Chipolte, and Chinese restaurant literally across the lobby parking lot. Had a courtyard room overlooking the pool (heated) and hot tub which looked clean and well-maintained. Overall a good value for the price we paid.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank traveling_lady055

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
California
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I chose this hotel because I thought I would give a Marriott property a try. The property is a little hard to find from the street because it is behind a strip mall. After circling the block once, we drove in the right driveway to the front entrance. Checking in was very smooth. Received a bottled water and a snack upon check-in. Our room on the second floor was very clean. Loved having the microwave and refrigerator in the room. There was a safe too! The shower curtain was very thin and it leaked some water on the floor. Bed was comfortable. TV was a flat panel. The best part was the breakfast the next morning. It had many items that I liked, including the Pancake Sausage on a stick (similar to a corndog), yogurt with granola, too!!! (The last Hampton Inn I stayed at lacked many breakfast items, so I was a happy camper here!) I worried about airplane noise, did not bother me at all.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Orange, CA
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We had a 7 hour layover in San Jose. When we arrived at SJC at 11:00 p.m., the hotel sent a shuttle to the airport immediately. The hotel is very close to the airport. We left the following morning at 5:45 a.m. and the shuttle driver took us to airport. The breakfast didn't start until 6:00 a.m., but we were still able to get a nice breakfast before we left. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We'd stay there again. The room was clean and new and the rate was excellent (booked online).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank socalyakker
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We stayed here because it was the best deal we could get via Marriott rewards. So we had a nice double queen room for a great rate for a one-night stay. Unless need to be near the airport the location is not great, but it was a nice and comfortable hotel with a decent free breakfast. If you can get a great rate and can't find a hotel in a nicer location, it's definitely a good bet.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed November 15, 2010

My stay got off to a bad start. I chose this Fairfield Inn for an overnight because of its proximity to the airport and its advertised free shuttle service. My flight arrived early just before 11 PM and after picking up my baggage, including bulky video equipment I use professionally, I was directed to the hotel shuttle pick-up area some distance from baggage claim. There was no indication of a Fairfield Inn shuttle, so I called the hotel and was told that shuttle service ended at 11 PM. When I asked how I should get to the hotel, a taxi was suggested. So I hauled my bags back to the terminal and got in the taxi line. The fare for the half-mile drive to the Fairfield Inn was $15. To make matters worse, when my taxi pulled up at the hotel, there sat the shuttle with the driver standing outside. I was not happy and expressed my dissatisfaction to the desk staff, pointing out that there is no mention of the hotel's limited shuttle hours in their online information.

The room itself was adequate with some design flaws. The room was stuffy when I entered, so I turned on the fan, which filled the room with a scent of mildew. Worse was the fact that the fan was sited such that it blew directly on the bed. The bathroom was so small that the toilet is installed at an angle so your knees don't hit the bathtub. And worst of all, the slow-draining shower left me standing in dirty water, which still hadn't drained the next morning. For $169 +$23/tax per night, I expect better.

On the positive side, the bed was comfortable and the self-serve breakfast had acceptable options, despite some complaints here. And I must say that when I checked out the next morning, the desk clerk had heard of my problem the night before and reimbursed me for the taxi fare.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
washington DC
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by the San Jose Airport for one night on my way to LA (road trip) and was so pleasantly surprised. I only paid $62 per night (AAA rate) and was expecting a very mediocre experience. But my room was great. Flat screen tv. Beds were so comfy that I slept very well. Bathroom was modern and clean. Used the mini fridge in the room.

I'm not sure what the previous reviewer means by the elevator being outside. I was given a 2nd floor room right above the lobby and used the elevator right around the corner after checking in. Definitely didn't have to go outside or walk more then a few steps.

The next morning, I had breakfast - ok it wasn't the best. But at $62 per night, I was surprised that food was complimentary. Bagles, bread, muffins, juice, microvave breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal packets, yogurt...etc.

Afterward, the really friendly airport shuttle driver drove me to the rental car center so I could begin my road trip along PCH. Awesome start to a wonderful little vacation.

I dunno what people are complaining about. Especially if they got a rate similar to mine. I've stayed in Courtyards for $200+ per night in Boston and regular Marriotts in Georgia for around $150 that were way worse. If I ever get back to San Jose, I'll be sure to stay here again...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Hudson Valley
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights on a business trip. The check in was friendly, especially after they gave me a room despite arriving early. First negative, was just annoying that I had to caqll back to the front desk to receive the internet log on and password. Why not have it on the room key envelope? It is only marriott and internet, not a complicated thing. The 2nd annoying item was that when calling to the desk, I pressed the button on the phone that said front desk, but got a 'rapid busy/invalid call' signal. I finally got through using the Manager Button, and was told, Oh, that doesn't work, just press '0'. OK....

The room was fine, though showing some wear . I agree with a previous reviewer about the long dark hallway, especially if you need to use the elevator. The room did have a mini-fridge (no freezer) and a dial microwave. The bathroom was large, though with a cheap shower curtain and a loud exhaust fan (on whenever the light is on), so much so that I changed where I shaved & brushed to the sink outside the bathroom to shut the fan.

The internet service was not very good. It would constantly disconnect you, despite a ';strong' signal. The speed was painfully slow, so he whole internet was another annoyance.

The last was that, if you need to use the elevator... I won't drag my luggage up 2-3 flights.. it is not by the lobby/check in. you have to go around to the far corner of the property... outside.. to get the the other lobby to use the elevator... the only one.

The breakfast was terrible. It is in a separate little building, accessiblle through a security gate and maybe other rooms on the courtyard. It had nothing hot, but you coud microwave some precooked eggs for a 'mcmuffin' type breafast. Also had cereal, whole fruits, toast etc. The breakfast area was large and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business