“Awesome staff...good clean rooms for you buck...”
Review of Hotel Elan

Hotel Elan
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Recently i took a trip down to San Jose, CA to visit family and have a little getaway. Upon check inn The staff was very friendly and helpful very patient and attentive to my many questions on resturaunts and things to do. My stay there was very comfortable the rooms are very nice and cozy and good value for the price. They have free breakfast in the morning they have quite an assorment of items more than the average contential breakfast i have expierenced at the other hotels i been to. Over all my experience was a pleasant one. I would return and reccommend this establishment to my friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anng1978

Reviewed April 15, 2011

When arrived at the Howard Johnson Express office what a nightmare! I made a phone reservation. When I arrived the lady at the front desk that I had spoken to said she couldn't find my reservation & said that I had to wait approx. 2 hrs for my reservation to come up. When the reservation did come up she said there weren't any clean rooms & that I would have to wait! This was after she already took my money!! While I was waiting, I witnessed hookers, cops, fights & A CAR ACCIDENT THAT TOOK PLACE IN THE ENTRANCE TO THE MOTEL! When I saw all this I questioned the clerk whether it was safe to stay here! She said "NO"! I asked 4 a refund she said I couln't cuz I needed to cancel the reservation beforehand! When I was in my room there was knocking at my door. It was a hooker soliciting me! I refused and called the front desk to complain and she said she couldn't do anything about it! Again I asked for a refund and she said she couldn't! DON'T EVER GO TO HOWARD JOHNSON EXPRESS-NIGHTMARE ON FIRST STREET!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2011

As I mentioned already... It worked very well for me.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Somtrip007
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We shouldn't complain, they allow dogs. Don't be fooled by the "renovated" part...they have a fresh paint job but old everything else. It was a convenient spot close to everything and away from the airport but we thought we would wake up to broken windows. The night was quiet so I am thankful but if people walked by the windows were old and not at all soundproof. The comforter cover was from 1970 and the side chair had 4 stains. The “hot tub” had stains and the toilet seat was crooked and would slide around when you sat on it. The bath jets were so loud they would rattle your teeth and really had no power. There was coffee but no coffee maker.
What I liked…it had plenty of parking, they have some pretty flowers, not a lot of traffic noise, fridge in the room, good proximity to city.
What I didn’t like so much…Bring your shiv!

Room Tip: ask to be in the building not facing the street
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2010

This was by far the most disgusting hotel I have EVER stayed in, including international trips to Amsterdam and Mexico. The furniture was sticky, as was the floor. Bathroom was moldy, dated, and stained. The carpet had so many stains it was hard to tell what the actual color was supposed to be. The breakfast consisted of cereal DUST in a dispenser, a broken coffee maker, and gross juice. Had to go down the street to a Denny's. The front desk "clerk" if you want to call him that, had to be WOKEN UP to check us out when we left because he was sleeping. Also had about 25 facial piercings, which is fine, but not very professional. I had to stack furniture in front of my door, then wash my hands several times cause it was sticky. There was old food in the fridge as well that certainly was NOT mine. Absolutly disgusting, probebly be better to stay in a box on the side of the road.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank forwork
Reviewed July 12, 2010

What a dump dirty , old furniture and a dump dont wast your money

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Travelocity is more expensive than booking direct so book direct! Area is city atmosphere but no problems, just mind your own business and don't be so judgemental on the way others live. The service and room are worth the price and the closeness to downtown is great. Breakfast was great, service over and above, room is what you pay for and a little more. If you are looking for somewhere to stay but not lounge I give them an A+. I have booked again and will stay here each time I visit my son attending SJSU! Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank malexine