“Great historic hotel with a convenient location”
Review of Hotel De Anza

Hotel De Anza
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
va
“Great historic hotel with a convenient location”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This hotel has been nicely remodeled and yet maintains its historic character. The rooms are nice with all modern amenities. They have "raid our pantry" hours at night which is excellent for a late night snack - all free. The hotel's bar is easily one of the nicest I've been in and one can listen to live music on Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights. The hotel's location make it perfect for watching a Sharks game or exploring downtown San Jose.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Reviewed October 5, 2009

As someone who works for a luxury resort, I understand what it takes to make a good guests experience. The De Anza exceeded by expectations!
Because I knew the hotel was old, I was expecting a similar experience to the one I had in July at another downtown San Jose Hotel, but I was pleasently surprised.
I stayed at the De Anza because I was participating in the San Jose Rock and Roll Marathon. It was the perfect location, right by the starting line!
The bell staff/valet were prompt in their service and took great care of my car. They even kept it at the hotel during the marathon, for no additional cost. It was ready at the front of the hotel when I got back from the marathon!
Check in was smooth, no complaints!
The room was exactly what I ordered! It was large and well decorated.
I really enjoyed the fresh cookies at the front desk, the filtered water available at the ice machine and of course, the "Pantry" with free late night snacks!
They offered free DVD rentals, and had all the latest titles. We snuggled up in our room and watched a movie! Perfect.
We ordered room service from the in-hotel restaurant. They were late with our order, so we called and they apologized and comp'ed the meal. That is the kind of service we should all recieve. The meal, by the way, was amazing! The pizza was some of the best I have ever had.
Next time I need a hotel in San Jose, I will be calling the De Anza first! Thank you for helping make my marathon experience that much better!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Sadly, this hotel advertises itself at a star rating far above where it should be. As many others have said, this is a 2 star hotel at best, posing as a 4 star.

In my case, as a business traveler, plans often change near the last minute. Had to move my start date back by 1 day for my stay, and the hotel insisted on charging for the night we would not be there.

Yes, technically the policy (buried under fine print, of course), is that any change results in a penalty, but it is customary, especially for business hotels where they expect a certain amount of change at the last minute, to only charge for outright cancellations, not changes where the time period of the stay is moving forward by one night.

To put it bluntly, the management of this hotel is inflexible. It is not just the lack of their ability to make good business decisions, such as charging a 1 night penalty when there are 6 more nights that you can lose if I cancel - but the attitude in which they deliver it. They acted as if they were doing me a favor by offering the room. Sorry - thats not the way it works... I am a customer, you are competing for *my* business, not the other way around.

All is well that ends well - made a reservation at the DoubleTree, not far away, which is a real 4 star place, for around $80 less per night. As a result of the poor performance of this hotel, our company is unlikely to ever book rooms there, even though they are technically closer to the office.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 28, 2009

The thing that best characterizes hotel de anza is that it's old. The age of the hotel shows everywhere. The exterior and the interior of the hotel loos old, there is no wifi - instead you have to use network cable, there is nothing really good or bad to say about it other then the age shows on it

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Northen California
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Well the hotel is a beautiful historical building, renovated in excelent taste. Marble bathrooms and high quality linens - just lovely but our experience with staff is the worst I have encountered here in the states - ever. We got there at 11pm tired and wanting to go to bed after a lot of travel. It took the staff 2 hours to get us checked in and not because they were busy - no one else was checking in - but rather because they didn't know what rooms were empty - they kept sending staff upstairs to check on rooms to see if they were occupied. It was crazy. They didn't know how to find our prepaid reservation and didn't seem to even understand how to use their computer. We were so tired we just wanted to lie down on the couches in the lobby. We thought we'd better make sure our doors are double locked since they may just send up people to our room, not knowing we are there. So hallaluia we finally get checked in and to sleep.

Thinking the worse was over, when we checked out we asked for a receipt saying we owed nothing since I had a feeling they might screw up the deposit on our credit card. Good thing I did. When I got my credit card statement sure enough they had charged us $51.86 to use the honor bar - which we didnt. We didnt use anything - we were barely there 5 hours since we had an early morning conference. Sooo... I called the hotel to have them reverse the incorrect credit card charges and it takes 5 calls to get to the person who had authority to fix it - no one would return my call. I yi yi - Like I said the accommodations were beautiful and perfect but the staff more than undid any comfort we received for the good mattresses.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank beverlyrosey
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 19, 2009

This hotel is the best! Totally worth the extra cash. I made my reservation over the phone about 15 minutes before we arrived. The manager who checked us in was super friendly and efficient. He suggested the in-house restaurant, La Pastaia, for dinner and upon reviewing the menu we decided to check it out. Out of this world!!! But back to the hotel. I was soothed instantly by the gorgeous ivy green walls in the hallway. Our room had a king size bed, not much of a view, but the bathroom was large & gorgeous with a mini TV and a Lather Bar.

Things I loved: The bolster pillows!!! The ivory cotton duvet!!!! It smelled of bleach! :) The ice machine dispensed filtered water!! And it was the cool little ice pellets that I love so much! It was close to our room, so it was convenient. The glass pitcher they provided was a nice touch! The Raid our Pantry is so cool! We came home from the Green Day concert and were ready for a snack, so we went downstairs to the pantry and made ourselves a sandwich and grabbed a cookie. Awesome bonus! I also loved that it was only a 10 minute walk to the concert! Although we could hear the traffic outside, the hotel itself was sooo quiet! I never heard anyone out in the hallway or through the walls. Amazing. Free hi speed internet, too!

Things I did not love: The bathtub is elevated, so there's quite a step down. Even though there is a sign that clearly states "caution, step down" etc., I still managed to slip on the wet marble floor and ended up falling pretty badly. I bruised my wrist and thigh. Ouch. I could have cut my head open, so I'm lucky that's all I got. Just be careful.

I loved this hotel and I already can't wait to go back. I'm still thinking of the amazing dinner we had at La Pastaia! Our server was very sweet & attentive. We started with the carpaccio. Delicious! I had the bistecca & fava beans w/ pecorino, and my husband had the osobuco d'agnello. I can't rave enough about our meal. It was fantastic!

Loved Hotel de Anza!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2009

My stay here was okay but the main issue I had was there was no place for me to park my motorcycle so I had to park elsewhere. They have parking, they just choose to not allow motorcycles to be parked there. The other comment I have is the internet in the rooms is cable only and there is an extra charge for it! These days people expect free wireless in their rooms, especially in high tech centers like San Jose. It's nice to have a cable available for high speed stuff but wireless is a no-brainer. There are better deals in San Jose. Shop around.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business