Hotel De Anza
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
San Jose Marriott(San Jose)
Arena Hotel(San Jose)
View Hotel
All reviewshedley clubla pastaiamidnight snackart deco hoteljazz clubsharks gamecookiesshark tanksan pedro squarewithin walking distanceboutique hotelvalet parkingcorner roomhockey gamevalet servicerestaurants and barsstreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 4, 2004

I to did my research for Downtown San Jose hotels and read the reviews for the De Anza and it sounded fantastic.

We were in town for a concert taking at the nearby HP Pavillion. After perusing the hotel's website we chose the "Downtown Event Package" which included "the convenience of staying close to the excitement and complimentary valet parking. After the show you’ll be able to walk back to the hotel and have a drink in the Hedley Club or “Raid our Pantry” before relaxing in your luxurious guestroom. Includes overnight valet parking and a lavish breakfast buffet for two.

Here's why: Our room, while clean, was well worn. Baggage scuff marked the walls and elevators and displayed a general lack of detail awareness.

The hotel is directly beneath the landing zone for San Jose International Airport. This makes for even noisier hotel stay.

The after concert "Raid Our Pantry" feature was a complete scam. There are no late night restaurants open in downtown San Jose and the Hedley Club stops serving at 10 pm (according to an bored, indifferent cocktail server), therefore the pantry was our only option. We found it to be what it said, "raided." There were only scraps of food, discarded waste, a few cookie crumbs and a few slices of ham, white bread and lettuce. In essence, it was barren. We contacted the front desk who (also indifferently) advised us to "wait 10 minutes" so it could be restocked. A hotel representive did appear a short time later only to direct us to wait outside for 10 more minutes while he replenished the food. Needless to say we passed on his suggestion...

The "lavish breakfast buffet" the next morning was somewhat better.

Upon checkout we passed our comments on to the pleasant front desk clerk, who informed us that the pantry "does get like that on concert nights." Which puzzled us since the hotel was aware of the condition of the pantry, but did nothing to compensate for the lack of food and the mess.

Bottom line, our package (almost $200) at Hotel DeAnza was a disappointment. The overall experience was OK at best. I would not recommend or stay there again.

7  Thank Parrothead63
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2004

This hotel is beautiful and the best service I have ever experienced.
We stayed in a jr. suite which was spacious and comfortable. It featured a desk, couch, large bathroom & minibar. Lots of lamps, lots of windows *with curtains* and a closet with iron & ironing board. This hotel was built in the 1930's and redone in modern decor. On the 2nd floor they have a small room for midnight snacks, called "raid the pantry". I thought it would be a few cookies, but they had breads, deli trays, milk, juice & cookies. It does get crowded after customers flow in after concerts and games at nearby HP pavilion. It gets a little cramped in there and they did run out of a few things, but the hotel employees told us if anything was run out in the "pantry" let them know. When we checked out, they had a huge basket of more cookies, and another basket of fruit. He told us we can take as many as we want home since they bake hundreds of cookies all night. He even gave us small bakery cookie bags to take them in. The De Anza is within walking distance from the HP Pavilion, about 2 blocks. It's not a huge hotel so does fill up if a major event is in town. The one downfall is paying for parking since it is in a downtown location. I think it was $15 for valet overnight parking, otherwise you would have to park a block away and pay in a parking garage anyway. I did see package deals which include parking. We didn't eat at their restaurant, but it looks beautiful and the night we were there it was full.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2004

I read the reviews for the De Anza Hotel and it sounded fantastic.
Nothing could be further from the truth for a business traveller. The first word that comes to mind is funky. Don't let the pictures or reviews fool you. This hotel must have been built in the 1930's and shows its age. The windows are thin glass that let all street noise in.
Since there are no curtains, all the street lights stream in all night also. There is no closet. The "pillows" look like round couch cushions.
Even with a request, you cannot receive what most people consider a normal pillow. If you have a business meeting, you cannot look into the closet for an iron, because there is none. If you expect to be able to make yourself a cup of coffee or tea in your room to wake up in the morning, forget it. You must dress and go downstairs to eat or drink anything. Everything about this hotel was a disappointment.

4  Thank pgwinegar
Reviewed January 15, 2004

This hotel is very nice and luxurious, although our room seemed rather small. Plus, even though we reserved through Orbitz they could not find our reservations! The breakfast was spectacular. The Pantry that is available to raid was a disappointment. We went to San Jose to experience the hockey game and many other fans walked back to the hotel afterward, all of us raiding the pantry at the same time! They had some coldcuts (gone by the time I got there), cookies, fruit. Nothing too special (especially after hot dogs at the hckey game). BUT walking around in downtown San Jose in the afternoon and evening before the game was quite fun -- the holiday decorations were up in the downtown "square" and there were loads of restaurants and shops to explore. Plus the museum. All in all a fun night.

3  Thank cruisingblue
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 17, 2003

The Hotel De Anza is a glorious hotel. Very beautiful and very friendly. This trip to San Jose was busy and frustrating, but staying at the De Anza made it all better. From the selection of delicious cookies at the front desk, and the warm and friendly staff, to the lovely rooms and fabulous public spaces, everything was just exactly what I needed to relax and unwind after a stressful day. This Hotel may be the best thing about San Jose. The bathrooms are spacious and clean, with lots of big, fluffy towels and robes. Wonderfully scented toiletries. A well appointed mini bar. An extensive room service menu. Oh, and of course, the "Raid Our Pantry" feature! They have a pantry on the second floor open from 10pm to 5am, stocked with sandwich fixins, coffee, hot chocolate, cookies, fruit, all the little stuff you may get peckish for in the wee hours. You are welcomed to help yourself,...at no charge! The staff sees to it that you are aware af all the services they have to offer you and are some of the nicest people you are likely to meet. Always ready to help, with a genuine smile. When I booked this reservation (at the last minute) I mentioned a price from one of the online discounters that I had found, and the reservationist (I think his name was Matt) immediately offered me the same price directly through the hotel. Then he remembered me when I checked in...nice. I am going on and on a bit about this lovely hotel, but please trust that it is well deserved. I had booked the earlier part of my trip to San Jose at another, similarly priced hotel, and was deeply disappointed. The De Anza was a last ditch attempt to salvage some pleasure. I will in the future stay exclusively at the De Anza. I never wanted to leave!As a last thought, please check out their Hedley Club Lounge. A beautiful and elegant jazz club with a large open air patio. A wonderful feature that you won't want to miss.

25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member