“Much Better Experience”

Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Rancho Murieta
“Much Better Experience”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed here about a year ago and due to the service the experience was fairly average. Because of the positive portions of our last visit and the proximity we decided to give them another try. As with our last stay, we enjoyed the hotel and our room. We like the renovated style of the De Anza and our room was comfortable and immaculately clean. I do agree with the other posters regarding Internet connectivity issues and hopefully the management will address the situation.
The service issues we were concerned about on our last visit were handled exceptionally well this time around. The service could not have been better. We were really happy with this stay and we're looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Paris, France
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I like this hotel. For one thing, the bar is beautiful and it has a pretty good bartender, which is hard to find at hotel bars in San Jose. I like the old feeling of the hotel and find it to be run down in an appealing way. The location is excellent and the service is fantastic. Now for the downsides: The hallways have an odd odor and the WiFi is useless. I was completely unable to connect to my corporate VPN during the trip, which meant I could not do much work in the hotel. I'm not the only person to have had this problem -- several of my co-workers have stayed here at different times and had the same problem. I've never had this problem at any other San Jose hotel. For that reason, and that reason alone, I do not book myself into this hotel anymore. If I were to vacation in San Jose (though I have no idea why I would do such a thing) I would definitely consider staying here again, though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sneeuwfuif
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The reviews that are already on here are pretty close to reality. I was under the impression that being an old hotel you would be expecting some creaks in the floors, old door handles, that type of thing. Refurbished. But that's not the case. It's old. The furniture is old and rundown. There is a VHS machine under the 27" flatscreen (hey, at least it's a flatscreen). Yes, VHS. I think I have a copy of the Breakfast Club somewhere in a box..... I gotta remember to bring that next time. No, there won't be a next time.

But seriously, let's see if there is anything else.... The tub tiles are circa 1970. The A/C unit is more like early 60's. I'll try to post a picture of the controls. You honestly don't care what the temperature is, when that thing kicks on, you will enjoy the cushy pillows to cover your head with! It's scary loud, rattles, shakes and makes noises that would make you believe the thing is haunted!

How about the furniture. Everything is scratched up or falling apart. This has nothing to do with it being an old hotel. It's just run down.

The internet? That really truly sucks. It is awful. It is dial-up slow and has the reliability of a 1980's Russian car. (That means bad.)

The electrical outlets??? Now there are 2 places you can plug into. One is next to the desk, but found out the hard way that when you turn off the light, most of the 6 outlet adapter in the one outlet will also turn off, so you wake up with cell phone dead, computer dead.... The other is in the bathroom. Thinking of using the iron? You'll have to bring the ironing board in the bathroom to plug it in. Be careful to not wipe the toilet with your white shirts....

Then there is an older mini flat screen above the toilet. It's kinda there, but if you touch it, it falls backwards. I decided that watching the little tv while standing in front of the toilet was not really necessary.

So is that all that makes this a poor experience?? NO!

I booked and paid for the hotel online a month prior to arriving. They had a special rate if you made it subject to no cancellation. 2 rooms, 2 nights, about $900. That's right $900 for what we got above. But it gets better. In the reservation, I asked about corner rooms (you want to be away from traffic and elevators). We were put in rooms FACING the elevators.... Thank you. And we asked about their breakfast packages as those were hard to figure out. They never responded, however they charged my credit card with olympic speed! So upon check in I asked about the breakfast and my question. "Sorry our manager isn't here. Sorry she didn't answer. She can call you when she gets back NEXT WEEK." So they get a total fail mark on all of this. Really, no one could figure it out right then and there??? The customer service just sucked as bad as the the Wi-Fi.

Turn down service. One of us got it offered the first night and the other didn't. Neither the second night.

Room phones.... just as bad as the Wi-Fi and the A/C unit. All sorts of noise and then just drops calls. Cells drop calls, not land lines!

All in all, it just wasn't impressive. It was an utter disappointment. We decided to go out for food or drinks as the idea of giving them any more money seemed wrong.

Planning a trip and want a boutique hotel? Go to the Kimpton in San Francisco. I have never been to the one in SF, but all the others are beyond awesome. The service is top notch, the rooms are perfect (and old). And they are comparably priced.

I totally regret having come here. If it hadn't been for the no cancellation thing they got me on, we would have left and gone anywhere else.... Oh well.

I'll try to send this now, but with the Wi-Fi, who knows if this will ever actually send!

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else. Even if you ask for a specific type room, you won't get it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank 112DesMoinesTraveler
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

At first glance it doesn't look that great. On the outside it kind of looked dirty and I even apologized to my girlfriend when I first saw it and told her I thought I got us a nice place. The inside was really nice though and the staff were friendly. The rooms were nice the bathroom was nice. The wifi however was horrible. It took me forever to connect to it and when I finally did, I lost it constantly until finally I lost connection all together and for the remainder of my stay I was unable to connect to their Internet. The outlets were horrible. I plugged in my ipad and it didn't charge and all my plug ins kept falling out of the outlets. They have a cool thing where you get free food from 10pm to 5am which is great if you're a stoner and have late night munchies. Well we went to see what they had and they had hard cookies, coffee, a couple plates of salami, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes to make a sandwich I suppose. They had bread and milk. It looked like food that didn't sell that day. We stayed there because we did the color run and it was around the corner from the park where it was being held. Having said that, if I were to go to San Jose again I would only stay here if I was doing the color run and I couldn't find another hotel near the park that was decent.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I'll start this off by saying if you don't value old world niche hotel charm and would prefer large established places that you have a membership card to, this might not be the place for you...or maybe it is. I was traveling here to scope out wedding venues with my fiance and we were in between the Fairmont and other hotels. I finally determined we couldn't go wrong with a 3 star hotel in San Jose and used priceline. We ended up with de Anza and we couldn't have been happier. The only gripe I have is the parking situation with valet each day. The ambiance was awesome and coming from the east coast I wasn't expecting such a roaring 20's vibe on the west coast. Rooms are clean and unique and staff is friendly. Other cool extras like free movies and snacks made the stay even better. Friday had some fantastic jazz and great drinks. Overall a wonderful experience and we would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
Pa
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Old hotels can be a real treat, but this one isn't. I confirmed late check-in prior to arrival, and was given the room number at the time. When I arrived, I was told that my room was out of service due to a problem, and was told I would have to be downgraded to a smaller room due to availability. No adjustment to price was made, and I was told the next morning that I was given the room I had reserved and no other room was available. Later in the day I got a call offering me a different room for a much higher price. Left hand and right hand don't seem to be in communication. I suspect I was given wrong information at check-in, but that doesn't excuse getting yanked around.

The room itself was OK, but somewhat small. As others have mentioned, the hotel has exceptionally poor wifi access, despite being in the heart of Silicon Valley.. Lots of history surrounds this hotel, but they should work on developing a history of customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank travelguyPa
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Really nice people and great exterior architecture. It's a remade art deco building and that part is cool. Comfortable beds... Horrible almost unusable wifi. Would definitely not stay here for business again. Hello who uses an actual Ethernet cable anymore??

• Stayed May 2014