“Beautiful property, terrible service”
Review of Hotel De Anza

Hotel De Anza
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The hotel is without question gorgeous, from the elevator doors to the bathroom wallpaper. It's also surface clean, with towels and linens in good shape. Where it falls down and falls down hard is with the service and amenities.

Hubby and I booked a room for a romantic night away together just a few days ago and we had reasonably high expectations that the price would come with a commensurate level of service. Boy were we disappointed. The woman who checked us in, (Linda I think?) consistently showed so little enthusiasm for her job that I would not be surprised if she were actually being held hostage and forced to work off a debt. She was incredibly forceful about pointing out the hold the hotel places on the debit card, checking at least three times that we understood they were going to hold a $100 deposit. I guess hubby and I looked poor! No smiles, no thank yous, when she told us the rate for the room she couldn't even manage a full sentence.

"Hi, we'd like to check in if you have a room available for tonight?"
"$215"

We chalked it up as a fluke, even good customer service professionals have off days, but on check out her surliness was completely unchanged. Apparently the front desk here is staffed by grump cat. :-D

The overwhelming majority of the staff shared her lackluster approach to their jobs, but the front desk experience stands out. Oh, we asked about parking and were told it was valet only at $24 a night. We asked if she knew the cost of the garage down the street, of course she didn't. We asked if the valet cost was billed to the room and were told it was. When we dropped the car off at the valet not five minutes later he asked if we prepaid for parking, which we had not. Turns out, if you prepaid at the front desk it's $22 instead of $24. Nice. At no point did we feel like we were welcome or anyone was anything other than indifferent to our presence.

There was a TV in the bathroom for bathtub viewing awesomeness-unfortunately someone had ripped the cable out of the back. Since we were given the stinkeye on check-in we informed the hotel immediately and they were prompt about sending someone up to fix it. The TV hutch/mini bar had sustained some serious damage to the lock, cutting the vibe in the room down to a little more Creep Inn than Classy Joint. *sigh* Since Maintenance was in the room when we discovered the damage to the TV hutch we pointed that out (to avoid having Grumpy Cat bill us for it!). Apparently it had been that damaged for a while.

I was looking forward to grabbing a midnight snack from their 'Raid our Pantry' program rather than brave the unusual San Jose cold for a late night bite. Yikes. I really love the idea, but the implementation was just sad. Unripe bananas, squishy apples, and what really looked like Costco cookies. I went to fix a sandwich and was baffled to find three types of bread and no toaster. The pantry area is small, since it is an adorable older building, but really? No room for a toaster? Someone did come in to swap out the half empty plastic wrapped plate of deli meat and cheese, helpfully labeled with a date from three days ago, but hubby was so sketched out by the inadequate refrigeration and lack of serving utensils that he would not touch it. They took the half empty cookie tray away (to refill?) and did not bring it back. Bottom line, I've seen cleaner and nicer setups at the Days Inn.

There is a DVD library you can borrow movies from, which was lovely. The remote for the DVD player did not work, which was pretty much par for the course.

To top it off, we accidentally left a hat behind in the room. I called as soon as we realized, 8 hours later. The hat was not turned in to Lost and Found, which I didn't really expect. But I did ask for a callback as soon as the Lost and Found was checked, which I was told would be in half an hour or less. To my complete lack of surprise I did not get a call back and had to call myself an hour later.

The De Anza is a truly beautiful property, and a historic one. But for the money I'd rather stay at the Sainte Claire, Montgomery or Fairmont. A four star hotel is just about the experience, and this experience was really not good.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Theresa C

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel would probably not be acceptable for business people but it worked out fine for me.The business center is nothing more than a shelf off the lobby and you pay for computer time except for boarding pass print-outs. I chose the hotel mainly for location, price and basic room amenities. Location was great. Walked to all areas and felt comfortable. Good pricing for my room as I booked in advance. My room was clean with basic amenities. In keeping with the heritage status, furnishings were art deco-ish however they were a little worn and the overall decor was kind of bland. Took a few tries to get the A/C figured out. Pedestal sink drained very very slowly but I was so busy I forgot to complain. I requested a quiet location and was given a room on the 6th floor. Very quiet. I used room service a few times and was pleasantly surprised at the quick deliveries and quality of the food. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Top floors are quietest. Book in advance to get the best rates.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Turned up after a canceled flight, and found that they had no wifi for a number of days or any services on their end so they could not confirm by booking; was made to wait for ages so they could confirm by booking and hotel made no apologies. Rude, bad service. Do not recommend.

2  Thank Gooseman-1977
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Having to be in San Jose for a meeting at the last minute, the city was booked….this was the only "decent" hotel available (so options extremely limited). Nice looking building on the outside. Lobby, common areas decent. Convenient downtown location, but beware of the costs. Seriously, almost $300 for a king bed room, the only one available! It sort of would have been OK if the room were not so barren/simple; and long in the tooth! The bathroom was circa 1980. Soap was what you would find at a "very cheap" hotel….a "sliver" of a bar & very poor quality. You feel totally hosed when you check out. The associated restaurant was one where the service was extremely poor. Waiter had a hard time "finding" my table. Food average. Do yourself a favor; either book early at a different hotel, or stay outside the city. For this place, truly not worth the cost.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

As soon as I checked in, I asked the front desk about their wifi, and whether there were problems. They assured me they have the best and that they have a technical team that can fix anything that comes up. I told them that it was very important to me that I had wifi because I had some serious work to get done that night. I had other hotel options, if there was a problem.

As soon as I check into the room, I try to get online and can't. I call the front desk, and I'm was told the internet crashed and they have been trying to fix it. This is 20 minutes later.

I ask for a discount on a $400 room of $100, they offer $20 and no indication that the wifi would ever be fixed.

For businessmen this is usually important, this hotel should, be avoided, and I find the management staff quite unprofessional.

2  Thank Gene K
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The De Anza is a great historic hotel in a great spot in downtown San Jose.
As a historic property, there is a great deal of character in the beautiful common areas and rooms.
But because it is so old, don't expect huge rooms, and don't be surprised if the building is a bit 'quirky'! Water pressure can dip at peak times, and the heating/ac is old-school and not the fastest to change temperature.
But the bed is very comfortable, the furnishings nice, housekeeping is excellent and the staff is first rate.
La Pastaia is a wonderful restaurant, and they also provide the room service. Fantastic food, prompt service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel was a delight. Beautiful building, spacious rooms, natural light, clean, peaceful. But they don't stop there - there's filtered water available for free (along with ice), fruit sitting out, and a late night buffet of leftovers available for anyone whose evening gets away from them. They do make a point to remember your name and if you've been to the front desk for any reason previously. Easy walking distance to the convention center, museums and shopping.

I'm willing to pay a little more for a boutique hotel, but I don't remember the price being out of line with what was available in the area. Was a last minute trip so conference-sponsored hotels were full. Glad I picked this alternative.

Room Tip: Had a corner room - don't know how different they are but it was light and sunny (it is San Jose...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business