“Goes the extra mile..” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Ohio City, Ohio
“Goes the extra mile..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel was a delight. Beautiful building, spacious rooms, natural light, clean, peaceful. But they don't stop there - there's filtered water available for free (along with ice), fruit sitting out, and a late night buffet of leftovers available for anyone whose evening gets away from them. They do make a point to remember your name and if you've been to the front desk for any reason previously. Easy walking distance to the convention center, museums and shopping.

I'm willing to pay a little more for a boutique hotel, but I don't remember the price being out of line with what was available in the area. Was a last minute trip so conference-sponsored hotels were full. Glad I picked this alternative.

Room Tip: Had a corner room - don't know how different they are but it was light and sunny (it is San Jose...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JA G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Orange
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The worst stay I can remember. The city was booked so I had to make a multiple booking for each night at this hotel. It was my first time here. The AC station is right nest to the head for the bed and it is LOUD. I mean LOUD. I complain the first night and they say they will fix it. I get back to room in the afternoon and it's still the same. I ask them if they fixed it the said yes. I asked if they could move me to another room, in a rude tone the said the AC's are all that loud...After the second night and I complained again I was told (again in a rude tone) "Sorry Sir". The third day After having 2 nights of no sleep I had to ask for a fan to be delivered to my room so I could just keep the AC off. I became sick from the nights of no sleep and the attitude of the front desk staff was inconsiderate rude and uncaring...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Salinas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

The De Anza is simply charming! The boutique style and luxurious, yet simple, rooms are a breath of fresh air when compared to "the normal elites" of today.
The simple yet alluring room design and natural lighting (corner room) invites to to sit and relax.
The beautiful and spacious bathrooms call you in to enjoy the tub and relaxing design.
A jewel is the rough of Downtown San Jose.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, nice room, spotlessly clean and good service. Sean, he of the bald head and beard, at the front desk was exceptional and was a pleasure to deal with every time we had a query or required assistance. Not sure how, amongst all the guests at the hotel, he managed to remember our name but he did!
The "raid our pantry" promotion was a bit of a disappointment as it was lightly stocked with little variety and quickly runs out.
The hotel lacks a pool and for this reason alone we would probably stay elsewhere on our next visit to this area.

Brentwood, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the De Anza because it was in close proximity to the SAP Center where we were seeing a performance. The hotel is clean; the lobby is interesting; the staff is pleasant. Although I had forgotten to request a scent free room because of allergies, there was no unpleasant odor in our room. The marble bathroom was spacious and well appointed. The bedroom was very cramped.

We were on the back side of the hotel. It was very quiet. However, the air-conditioner was noisy and we had to keep it on all night as I did not feel comfortable leaving the windows open during the night because of the roof access into our room. The controls for the heat/air were so high that I had to stand on a chair to reach them. The air vent was directly above the bed and blew on us all night. The bed was exceedingly firm for me and the pillows were uncomfortable. A rolled up towel solved that problem. Regardless of the drawbacks, you can't beat the location. Cost for a room with AAA discount and overnight valet parking was pricey.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms seem to be at the back of the hotel meaning less street noise but a terrible view...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Oakland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

What a beautiful hotel! Totally redone, elegant and close to the SAP Center. We had a lovely corner room..everything was perfect. Was worried about noise, but that was not a problem at all.
We had concert tickets and it was an easy walk to and from the SAP Center. The restaurant was well. We would come back again. The Art Deco decorating was wonderful.

1 Thank sadue
South Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you are looking for a 5 Star Hotel with luxurious amenities, then go elsewhere. If you are the kind of person who likes quirky, Art Deco, historic and renovated hotels with charm that are well located to shops, sports arena, and restaurants, then consider the De Anza for your next trip to San Jose. We were here for the San Jose Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon and could not have asked for a better location--the start line was right outside. Our room was 915, a corner room with windows that opened on two sides of the building, and had a huge bathroom, and king size bed. Our daughter was in room 905 right next to the elevator, but the room was nicely soundproofed. The hotel, with under 100 rooms, is quiet. Yes, planes go overhead (not in the wee hours though) and yes, traffic and sirens can be loud at times, but the noise was not so overly obnoxious that I would refuse to stay here again. I mean, the hotel IS downtown near all the action!
I should mention that the restaurant La Pastaia on the lobby floor is excellent, and waiter Robert is too much fun for words. We ate here both nights of our stay, it was that good.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face a quieter back, even number rooms face a busy street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends