“Great Stay”

Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Palo Cedro, California
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Old hotel with a great renovation. Fantastic! Great night sleep, no noise excellent (firm) bed and pillows. Fantastic location with lots of food and entertainment near. Valet parking is very convenient. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Mount Pearl, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed at the Anza 5 nights in July.

We had great service from the staff.
Being from the East coast, we were up very early for California standards.
There was no coffee machine in the room but they gave us one when we asked.

They were very helpful.

The room was very comfortable.

The location is close enough (small 10 minute walk) to the train station, the HP Pavillon (Hockey arena) and the convention center.

Lots of restaurants close by too.

I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Rock_50
Vancouver, Washington, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed for one night. Unknown to me, they charged my credit card for 3 nights. Returning to my room at 1:00am, I requested a wakeup call at 5:00am to catch my 5:40am ride to SFO. In the room the phone was beeping every few minutes. Was told by the front desk I must have a message. Checking the phone system, it required a login ID. I called the front desk and they said they would clear it. 15 minutes later, and the phone still beeping, I again called the front desk. I told them to come to my room and wake me at 5:00am (now only 3-1/2 hrs away) as I was disconneting the phones. I fell asleep and was awakened at 5:40 by a hotel employee telling me my ride was here. I was rushed out without even an invoice. I am still disputing the overcharges on my crdit card with these bozos.

Room Tip: My tip for a good room? Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve J
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Well it is downtown San Jose.. Homeless panhandlers, stc.. It addition to that the rooms are unltra small. They then said I too something out of the Honors Bar, (shich I did not, and billed me. I have yet to receive credit. Add this to the $20/Night valet parking and you have a nightnare. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: The Marriott courtyard is eccellent compared to this terrible place...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RoadWarrior58
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed for one night only and had a favorable impression. Arriving rather late (and that was no problem), it was good to be able to eat here despite the hour. The bed was so very comfortable and the room quiet and large. I suspect this may be a hotel used mainly by businesspeople rather than us vacationers, so perhaps it was not surprising that the hotel building did seem somewhat impersonal. Certainly it was all smart, clean and modern. The staff were most friendly, all of them, and nothing was too much trouble, whether at the front desk or at the front door or in the restaurant. The cooked breakfast was excellent. The location is good- within walking distance of the downtown area, light rail, Amtrak and so on.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john592
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four nights. Late check in went smoothly, there was no wait, the hotel is not that big, therefore, for all the days I was there I never noticed a line at the front desk. The hotel is very conveniently located in downtown San Jose, less than a 10 minute walk to the HP Pavillion, and all very accessible to public transportation. The lobby and downstairs area are all very inviting, there seems to be some kind of Moroccan theme as decor. I never had to wait more than a minute for an elevator to my room. I stayed in a room with a king bed, the bed was very comfortable, the pillows a bit too high for my taste, but this is not a big deal, since most people prefer big, high pillows anyway. This did not prevent me from sleeping.

The room was cleaned every day, beds made, chocolates left, and the bathrooms were freshened. My one complaint is that the base of the taps at the sink looked like they needed more thorough attention, they were starting to get that pale orange grime that shows me that they were not being cleaned properly. This can be wiped away really easily with some bathroom product. Besides that, everything was clean, I personally like to travel with clorox wipes so I can wipe everything down before I use them. The bathtub was clean, I did not like the location of the place to put the soap because I clumsily managed to bump my elbow into it, ouch! Towels were replaced daily, I like to bring my own towel, so I did not have to use the hotel's. Robes were also available, but I did not use them. The mini TV in the bathroom is a nice touch.

The hotel is right by the flight path of landing planes, I heard them sometimes, but this did not bother me at all, it really is not that loud to disturb anyone. If you are from a big city, San Jose may seem a bit sleepy to you, there was very little traffic noise, previous guests have complained about that, but I did not experience any of this and when I stayed it was a very busy weekend. I did not visit the hotel's restaurant, there are plenty of restaurants just minutes away in all directions including a Starbucks, just two blocks away. The air conditioning worked great, but I barely had to use it because most nights very cool enough. The flat screen TV was in good working order, no problems there. The hotel does provide hangers, as well as an iron, so do not worry to bring those. The ice and water on every floor is very convenient. I did not use the fridge or honor bar.

I have no opinion on the parking situation as I do not have a car.
There is no place to warm up food brought from outside, it would be nice to put a microwave oven on the pantry floor that guests can use.
I believe there is a fee for wired internet, therefore I did not bring my laptop, I think this should be provided with the cost of the room. Overall, I was very happy with my stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank luvgigi
Oldsmar, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

I booked this hotel a day before my stay, looking for something reasonably priced and convenient for business. I was pleasantly surprised, for $189, to find an historic hotel, recently renovated, well-appointed and excellently staffed. The front-desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Fruit, cookies, newspapers, and other goodies were offered without charge. My car was handled efficiently and without delay whenever I needed it. Everything about the room was designed for comfort, from the darkening shades to the extensive beverage bar to the amazing selection of movies available. The restaurant is top-notch. I didn't have an opportunity to have dinner there, but breakfast was excellent.

For the price, I can't imagine a better value in this city, especially if you have business to attend to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business