“Not bad”

Ranked #33 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Alexandria, VA
“Not bad”
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I read the review on Tripadvisior as a good place to stay since it's in Downtown SJ. Of course when I got there, my room wasn't ready despite booking online and sending them an email that I was arriving early. I was kinda shocked so I was about to cancel the reservation since I had plently of time according the site and just truck it a couple blocks to a cheap motel as I was only staying for one day.

The person at the front desk gave me a room and did not charge me extra which was great but I was completely baffled. There were at least three rooms free (talk to housekeeping) and yet he said my room wasn't ready. The room that I had was the room that I requested on the site. Anyway, the area was ok for me of course just like most place you have your shady characters and such but be aware of your surroundings. I love that there is a light rail two blocks from the hotel as I took it from the SJC airport.

The room was great and clean. Comp. breakfast every morning in the breakfast room and free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank cindel25
RamadaLtdSJ, Manager at Pacific Motor Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2009
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We hope that you will come back to stay with us again. Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SEATTLE
Reviewed November 11, 2008

Attended a conference, and I was paying my own way, so I needed a budget accomodation. The Ramada was Ok in that respect: I paid a lot less to stay there, and it is only a couple of blocks from the Conv. Center.

That said, I found it to be noisy, (never stayed in a hotel that handed out ear plugs before!!!) and just a wee bit on the run-down side. I wasn't too sure about walking through the neighborhood at nighttime (it was probably OK, but I didn't feel right about it.)

However, if all you need is a place to hang your hat at night, it's inexpensive. That's for sure.

• Liked — proximity to the SJ Conv Center
  • Disliked — neighborhood, noise, security
  • Stayed November 2008
1 Thank KDUB7
San Diego
Reviewed October 25, 2008

I recently stayed here during a several day seminar held at the Crowne Plaza by Convention Center. BAD IDEA!!! As previous reviews stated, the room rates were less than half the price. I made my decision between Ramada and Marriott, and what a horrible mistake I made! I am usually someone who travels for work and on a budget, and can usually put up with "no frills" places, but this was even beyond my limit. First, I when I got to the hotel, I had to wait at the front desk almost 15minutes before anyone showed came in to help me. The location is very dimly lit, and the the guy who checked me in was not at all helpful with my questions on where to find food the next day. When I got to my room, it was not at all what was in the pictures.
Old I can deal with, but this place was beyond dirty, the TV only got 6 channels, (and 3 of them were spanish) the mini-fridge was frozen over and dirty, the shower dripped, and there was dried blood and chocolate crusted on the bed spread. Unfortunately, I was so exhausted from my trip I didnt notice the bed until the following morning. Luckily I had pulled it off and didnt actually sleep with it. Because the conference I was in kept me in classes from 7:30am until late in the evening, I wasnt able to move to a different location that day. When I got back to the room the same dirty bed cover had been put back on the bed!!! Also, the walls are paper thin, and all I heard all night was the people next door and upstairs, and I could literally look through the vent in the bathroom wall out to the party at the hotel next door which was blasting music all evening so loud you wouldve thought I was in a club. I thought I'd get myself out of the room by going to work out, which was a joke, because the little room used as their gym not only had old equipment that didnt work, but had no ventilation, and windows which their maintenence guys stood outside of like creepy dirty men staring at me on the treadmill! Like I couldnt see them in the mirror!!!!!
This is a long review, but I just thought everyone should know exactly what an absolute horrible place this is. I would never ever EVER stay here again, and it takes a lot for me to say that about a place! If you need to stay downtown and are on a budget, do yourself a favor and look up the Fairfield Marriot instead. This Ramada i limited in far too many ways to be worth staying here for anything.

• Liked — no extra charge for internet
  • Disliked — Dirty, disgusting, creepy, old place!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Phoenix
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This is an old, decently remodeled property in the "motor-court" style as another reviewer pointed out. It's a couple blocks from the convention center, and several blocks from the university. Plenty of restaurants nearby. We really liked Original Joe's Italian restaurant which is just a short walk.

The check-in people are very friendly and helpful. Parking was ample while I was there. This is a 3-story, outside-corridor motel with an elevator. I found it to be very quiet. Just to be sure, you might request a room near the center, since there are a lot of clubs along 1st street. I did not feel unsafe walking in a 3-block radius of the motel, from the convention center to the university.

The room was nice in appearance, and very clean. The bedding was nice, but the bed itself was of indifferent quality. It'll seem a little flat and hard if you're used to the pillow-top mattresses in a lot of even mid-range hotels these days.The bath is well appointed but the fixtures are fairly archaic, as is the plumbing - the shower went warm/cool/warm/cool repeatedly every morning during a 3 night stay. Not scalding/freezing, but still annoying. The shower smelt somewhat mildewy. The wall unit A/C looks cheap but worked well and was quiet. Wireless internet was good but you have to hunt/crawl to plug in your laptop. The TV had few channels. Housekeeping was excellent.

Overall, the Ramada was a decent place to stay, especially when you consider the price is half or less compared to the convention center hotels a couple blocks away -- and unlike those places, the Ramada has free in-room Internet and free parking. It's definitely not the Ritz but it's a clean, decent place and a good value.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank Cadillac22
Granada Hills, CA
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with a group who were going to a convention. The hotels at the convention center (Hilton and Marriott) cost about twice as much as the Ramada so we were looking for an affordable alternative.

The Ramada is about 2 blocks from the convention center in an area that is being completely revitalized with restaurants, clubs, theaters, etc. The clubs do run late into the night on the weekends so you may hear noise from them. Other than that, the neighborhood seemed safe and clean and it was no problem walking between the Ramada and the convention center.

Checkin was very easy and the staff was friendly. I had a single queen room and it was small but it was clean and had a little fridge. Unfortunately the only nearby place to buy anything to stock the fridge is an overpriced liquor store next door. The pool was closed from October to May and the fitness room was minimal. The continental breakfast was OK, I've had better and I've had worse.

If i was attending another convention in San Jose I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank runchadrun
Toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2008

Three of us travelled to California the week of Jan 8th to 15th. We booked 2 rooms at this hotel using a trip rewards program for one night. I opened the door and was so disgusted I wouldn't step in. The room was a pig sty with 1/2 empty 2 litre bottles of pop lying around, cigarette butts overflowing in the ashtrays ----- all that was missing was the naked, sweaty fat guy lying in the middle of the bed.

Yuck!!! I wouldn't let my dog stay in this place. If you stay in San Jose, the Crown Plaza was great!.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2008
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2007

I stayed here for five days in December 2006 and I got here back a year later, even if only for one day, because it's one of the best hotels in its price range. The first time I came here I did find a room not perfectly cleaned, but as soon as I told that at the front desk I've been given immediately a new room.
I am a smoker and I chose a smoking room the first time, also because I was going to be there for a while, but for just one day I preferred to get a non-smoking room because the smoking ones do smell a lot of smoke given their size and the fact that they're carpeted. Since the room door takes you immediately outside, it's easy to just walk out to have a cigarette.
The internet connection is good and fairly reliable, my VPN worked also without a public IP address and Internet comes for free.
Breakfast is pretty negligible, but it's for free as well.
Basically, you get what you pay for and you get also more than what you get paying the same amount or even more in many hotels of this category.

• Liked — Internet and the fact that it's located downtown
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business