“Average motel, great value for downtown San Jose”
Review of Pacific Motor Inn

Pacific Motor Inn
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This is an old, decently remodeled property in the "motor-court" style as another reviewer pointed out. It's a couple blocks from the convention center, and several blocks from the university. Plenty of restaurants nearby. We really liked Original Joe's Italian restaurant which is just a short walk.

The check-in people are very friendly and helpful. Parking was ample while I was there. This is a 3-story, outside-corridor motel with an elevator. I found it to be very quiet. Just to be sure, you might request a room near the center, since there are a lot of clubs along 1st street. I did not feel unsafe walking in a 3-block radius of the motel, from the convention center to the university.

The room was nice in appearance, and very clean. The bedding was nice, but the bed itself was of indifferent quality. It'll seem a little flat and hard if you're used to the pillow-top mattresses in a lot of even mid-range hotels these days.The bath is well appointed but the fixtures are fairly archaic, as is the plumbing - the shower went warm/cool/warm/cool repeatedly every morning during a 3 night stay. Not scalding/freezing, but still annoying. The shower smelt somewhat mildewy. The wall unit A/C looks cheap but worked well and was quiet. Wireless internet was good but you have to hunt/crawl to plug in your laptop. The TV had few channels. Housekeeping was excellent.

Overall, the Ramada was a decent place to stay, especially when you consider the price is half or less compared to the convention center hotels a couple blocks away -- and unlike those places, the Ramada has free in-room Internet and free parking. It's definitely not the Ritz but it's a clean, decent place and a good value.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Cadillac22

Reviewed April 2, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with a group who were going to a convention. The hotels at the convention center (Hilton and Marriott) cost about twice as much as the Ramada so we were looking for an affordable alternative.

The Ramada is about 2 blocks from the convention center in an area that is being completely revitalized with restaurants, clubs, theaters, etc. The clubs do run late into the night on the weekends so you may hear noise from them. Other than that, the neighborhood seemed safe and clean and it was no problem walking between the Ramada and the convention center.

Checkin was very easy and the staff was friendly. I had a single queen room and it was small but it was clean and had a little fridge. Unfortunately the only nearby place to buy anything to stock the fridge is an overpriced liquor store next door. The pool was closed from October to May and the fitness room was minimal. The continental breakfast was OK, I've had better and I've had worse.

If i was attending another convention in San Jose I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank runchadrun
Reviewed January 23, 2008

Three of us travelled to California the week of Jan 8th to 15th. We booked 2 rooms at this hotel using a trip rewards program for one night. I opened the door and was so disgusted I wouldn't step in. The room was a pig sty with 1/2 empty 2 litre bottles of pop lying around, cigarette butts overflowing in the ashtrays ----- all that was missing was the naked, sweaty fat guy lying in the middle of the bed.

Yuck!!! I wouldn't let my dog stay in this place. If you stay in San Jose, the Crown Plaza was great!.

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed December 8, 2007

I stayed here for five days in December 2006 and I got here back a year later, even if only for one day, because it's one of the best hotels in its price range. The first time I came here I did find a room not perfectly cleaned, but as soon as I told that at the front desk I've been given immediately a new room.
I am a smoker and I chose a smoking room the first time, also because I was going to be there for a while, but for just one day I preferred to get a non-smoking room because the smoking ones do smell a lot of smoke given their size and the fact that they're carpeted. Since the room door takes you immediately outside, it's easy to just walk out to have a cigarette.
The internet connection is good and fairly reliable, my VPN worked also without a public IP address and Internet comes for free.
Breakfast is pretty negligible, but it's for free as well.
Basically, you get what you pay for and you get also more than what you get paying the same amount or even more in many hotels of this category.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank G_The_Traveller
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I am a single business woman. I stayed at the Ramada as an alternative to the higher priced hotels while I attended a conference at the convention center. It met all my needs, including free wireless internet, complimentary breakfast, in-room refrigerators, programmable wake-up calls, hair dryers, coffee makers, ironing boards and irons in the room already. The room was clean, the A/C worked fine, and I had HBO and CNN. It was a 7 minute walk to the conference center and about the same to great food in the down town area. Try House of Siam for great Thai food. And try Askew's ribs and garlic mash potatoes. I also ordered a pizza and salad to my room from Mike's. It was very good. On the flip side I did find the area of the Ramada a bit shady. I wouldn't walk the area alone at night. I made sure I was always back before dark. Since it is a motel, I did hear noice at night from guests returning late. I did not however hear much from rooms next to or above me. But I could hear people walking by my entrance and always had to keep my shades pulled for privacy, unlike a more typical hotel. I rate it above average because as far as places to stay go, it is nothing special, but for the money and location it is really a great option. You get what you pay for though. As a frugal business traveler it is winner.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank vtval
Reviewed July 11, 2007

It seems like most downtown San Jose hotels are either high-end business hotels or low-end dives. The Ramada break the rule. Don't expect luxury here. This is a vintage motor-court motel with the rooms entered from outside walkways and balconies overlooking the parking lot. Still the rooms have been renovated and they are, at least in my experience, always clean. (I stay here for business very often.)

The rooms have the standard bed, chair, desk layout. The bathrooms are laid out with the sink in a separate room from the bed and the shower/toilet in it's own room. There's no bathtub, just a shower; shower pressure is good and there's no groady mold or old caulk around the sink or tub area. All-in-all it's comfortable and clean.

The hotel serves a complimentary continental breakfast in the morning. And there's a decent sized pool on the other side of the parking lot. The rooms have a good wi-fi connection and a computer is available in the lobby if you don't bring your own.

The neighborhood is not terrific, but I've been in lots worse. Sorry to hear about the last lady's experience, but I don't think that really had anything to do with the hotel. All downtown areas have the potential for a mugger. (I noticed last night that the hotel now closes the security gates for the parking lot at dark.)

One warning. There are a number of clubs nearby. The weekends here can be very noisy. Ask for a room near Second Street instead of First.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank TXStevePen
Reviewed June 13, 2007

I stayed at the Ramada for work while I was attending a convention. The first night that I was there someone ran up behind me IN THE PARKING LOT and grabbed my purse. After struggling for several moments and screaming the crackhead got into a car and took off. The staff in the lobby a few yards away was COMPLETELY unaware that anything had happened.

In addition to being attaked on the property, my bathroom had not been cleaned after the former guest, there were still soap and shampoo in the shower. I felt completely unsafe sleeping there.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business