“Wait until the renovation is finished”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 23, 2012

It's a total disaster, and work starts early. And based on what I saw it's going to be a long time until they're finished. On the upside, the rooms are being redecorated, apparently.

Also, if you're sensitive to the noise from the airplanes taking off, this is NOT the place for you. The planes are LOUD, making any conversation outside pretty much impossible.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Cbrofm,

Thank you for the feedback you provided and the time it took to do so. I appreciate your input and would like to apologize for the inconveniences created by our renovation.

We obviously understand that the renovation will create some inconveniences throughout the time that it is going on but we are trying our hardest to limit the impact that it has on our guests. I really do apologize for the way the property appeared during your stay and I can promise you that this project is really coming along. We are very excited to announce that we will have our first building completely opened back up within the next few weeks. It is a very exciting time for us and we hope that you will come back to see what we have been working so hard to complete.

Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to see you soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Hopefully the renovations will help insulate the walls better. I recommend calling ahead to see if the renovations are finished before booking this hotel. Definitely was not able to get any sleep. Missed the breakfast due to my lack of sleep. Sincerely, Sleepless

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
LQSanJose, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Dear N_Franklin,

We are so sorry to hear that you were not able to get a good nights rest while staying with us. We strive to provide a comfortable stay with outstanding customer service for each of our guests. It sounds that we were not able to deliver half of that promise to you. I really do apologize for the noise created by the renovation.

We understand the need for a face lift at this property but in doing so we do not want to disturb any of our guests. Obviously, with construction there comes noise but we are working hard with our construction crews to limit excessive noise throughout the property. We are also currently addressing the insulation within walls on the first building and will be doing the same in the second building to curb that inconvenience.

I really do apologize for the inconvenience from the renovation. We are very excited for the renovation to be completed so we can share our "New" La Quinta Inn San Jose Airport with all of our guest. It really is going to be one of the top hotels in the Silicon Valley. I hope that you will come visit us once we are completed with the renovation so we can deliver the comfortable night stay and outstanding customer service we are known for. Safe travels!

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Major renovations occurring at this hotel, I wish I was informed of this, and I would of stayed elsewhere. There were noisy, loud construction workers around and staying overnight or staying late at the hotel. Room itself had odd odor, mildew? AC was not operating, just blowing room temp air into curtains leaving no privacy if ac was on. It was hot and stuffy. Bathroom had mold in shower tile grout. There was an area by toilet that had a pinkish/yellow substance on floor. It looked like dried mucous. Gross.
Very disappointed in this experience, it was the last day of a 12 day trip in which I stayed at various other hotel chains throughout California. On this trip, I stayed at Fairfield Inn, Vagabond Inn, Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn and San Jose Garden Airport Hotel. The La Quinta San Jose Airport was the ONLY hotel that I was not satisfied with.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Kaleolani,

I would first like to apologize for each of the issues you mentioned in your Tripadvisor review and I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to do so. With each of the items you listed I can understand your extreme frustration with your stay and I am embarrassed to hear about them. This is not the expectations set forth by our management group and I am sorry they occurred during your stay.

Our property is currently under brand new ownership and management with the top priority for each us being to get this renovation completed as soon as possible. I understand that in the mean time there are certain parts of the hotel that are dated and need continually service and maintenance. Just because our hotel is in the middle of updating the property it does not mean that we can cut back on how we maintain our un-renovated rooms. For that I really do apologize.

The good thing of it all is that everything you mentioned in your response is already being addressed in the first building. We have gone in and gutted out each guest room and replaced everything from the A/C units to the entire bathroom. Once done with the first building we will move over and start on the second building. We have also remodeled/expanded the lobby and breakfast area. We have added a bar/lounge next to the lobby and will have elevators installed in both buildings within the next month. We are really pushing a modern theme with our new decor and landscaping. We are working hard each day to get this property up to our standards, but most importantly to our guests expectations.

Again, I apologize for all of the inconveniences created by our renovation and dated facility. I hope that you will come back and visit us post renovation so we can really show you what all of our hard work has done. Safe travels!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

This hotel was so moldy that I put the top up on my convertable and had to call to cancel from inside my vehicle. Like many, I have asthma that is exacerbated by the toxic mold that grows inside building walls. I pulled up and 1/2 the hotel was closed for either renevations or to be condemed. Part of the wall was taken down and the space between the inside and outside wall was all brown with mold. Matresses were piled up past the windows. There was graffiti on the inside of the lobby that was closed down.

It was shocking, don't stay here the health department should shut this place down. I was very disapointed as I often happily stay at the La Quinta chain with my little dog Rosie and have always been very happy with the beautiful rooms and wonderful service. I can't believe the chain would purchase a place of this nature, especially considering what a health hazzard mold is to public health.

Dear katastro,

After reading your review of our property I can understand how you might have had those misconceptions about our property as we are in the midst of a major renovation. I thank you for taking the time to write. I do apologize for the inconvenience that the renovation created when you pulled up to the property but I wish you would have given us a chance to show you what we currently have to offer and also what to expect once our renovations are completed. We are under brand new ownership and management with many years of hospitality excellence and we are extremely excited to give this property the face lift it deserves. I would like to explain what exactly is going on at the property and why I called them misconceptions.

I completely understand how dangerous mold can be for anyone suffering with asthma and I can assure you that what you thought was mold, was not. The opening you saw in the building is actually where we are installing one of two elevators on our property right next to the new bar/lounge. The "brown mold" you saw is actually the color of the insulation material within the wall. I can understand how that could be viewed as something other and apologize for the scare.

The "graffiti" you mentioned on the inside of the building being renovated is actually construction notes on the wall for all the sub-contractors. I took a look at what you mentioned and got with my Superintendent to have those moved away from the entrance so no one else perceived it the same way you did. Thanks for letting us know.

The last item mentioned was regarding mattresses stacked up inside the building that is shut down for renovation. I apologize if that came off as unwelcoming but the reasoning behind that was to store them all in one room away from the rest of the construction while we completely remodel all of the rooms that those mattresses came from.

Obviously, with renovation happening there are some temporary practices that go on that are necessary but are not always the most convenient for all parties. I truly do apologize for all inconveniences that the renovation created for you upon pulling up to our property. I know you never actually exited your car to come inside but I can only hope you understand that we are working hard to bring this property up to it's potential. We hope that post renovation you will come check out what we have been working so hard to complete. Safe travels!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I really just came hear to sleep overnight, but the room was clean and comfortable, with a nice desk area and free wifi. A convenient place to go to the airport the next morning.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
LQSanJose, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Dear Jack90291,

Thank you very much for offering your review on our property and the time it took to do so. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our close proximity to the San Jose Airport.

We hope that the next time you are in town you will be able to utilize all of the upgrades we will have to offer with our fully renovated property; including: brand new guest rooms and bathrooms with upgraded furniture and electronics, remodeled lobby and breakfast areas, elevators in each building, refinished exterior with modern landscaping, and much more.

Our new ownership and management groups pride ourselves in providing great customer service and a comfortable nights stay for each of our guests. We are happy that both of those expectations were met during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon and safe travels!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed in this La Quinta overnight while on a layover. The location is not great, but for airport or business travellers that's not as important. The hotel is older so you can hear a lot going on in rooms around you (and you can hear the plumbing in the adjacent bathrooms), and the planes flying overhead can be heard. However, all to be expected for this type of hotel.

On the plus side, they offer a free shuttle to the airport, breakfast (a little hit and miss on quality but still more than just muffins), large rooms, and excellent, friendly service.

At the time of our stay the hotel was undergoing renovations and it looks like the upgrades will be nice once in place.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
LQSanJose, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear mlemire617,

Thank you so much for your time it took to write your review of our property and we are always happy to hear that we were able to fully satisfy our guests. We look forward to hosting you again soon so you can see why we are so excited about everything that is going into the renovation.

All of the items you mentioned in your email that had to deal with the property being a little bit dated are currently being addressed in the first building as we speak. We are in the middle of turning this property into one of the top in the Silicon Valley and we look forward to sharing it with each one of our guests.

Again, thank you so much for your time and we are happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of each of our complimentary amenities. We look forward to seeing you here again soon and wish you safe travels.

La Quinta Inn - San Jose Airport

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here one night Mar. 29 prior to flying out of San Jose the next morning, and although previous reviews are accurate in that the 'old' building is dated and there is construction going on, we had a nice experience due to the people who work at this hotel. We arrived late and realized that the shuttle stopped running at 11:00 pm. We contacted the hotel, and they sent a shuttle to get us at 11:30, no questions asked. There was a room mix up (due to Hotwire, not the hotel) and there was no bed for our daughter, and the staff bent over backwards to accomodate us. The next morning, they checked on us and made sure everything was OK. Even though the breakfast area is under renovation, the quality and selection of food was far superior to most 'free' breakfasts, with many hot items, make your own waffles, fresh fruit, etc. All in all a positive experience and when renovations are complete this will be a great hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PK&TK
LQSanJose, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear PK&TK,

It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our extremely close proximity to the San Jose Airport. We hope you had a wonderful trip!

Thank you much for the time it took to write your thorough review. It is always nice to know that we are able to exceed our guests expectations through out their entire stay. As you probably noticed, although we are currently under renovation we are still offering every one of the amenities we always have.

Under our new ownership and management group, the culture has been to provide every guest with a memorable stay. It will be my pleasure to share with my staff how impressed you were with their customer service. They are great group and will appreciate your kind words. I am glad that we were able to accommodate your late shuttle request and that you enjoyed our hot breakfast in the morning.

We want to thank you again for your time and nice words. We look forward to creating another memorable experience for your family the next time you visit the "New" La Quinta Inn - San Jose Airport. Safe travels!

La Quinta Inn - San Jose Airport