“Best way to celebrate in the world.”

Mudai Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #552 of 2,163 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Description: Mudai is an authentic Ethiopian cuisine restaurant located just on the edge of downtown San Jose, a walking distance to the major hotels, Hilton, Marriott, Crown Plaza, Saint Claire, and Fairmont. Our food is very traditional and spicily delicious. Come and tour Ethiopia without leaving San Jose.
Mountain View, California
“Best way to celebrate in the world.”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Came here with my fiance to celebrate the recent publication of my book... Best way to celebrate in the world.

We got the vegetarian combo, appreciating getting to choose which entrees we wanted (we chose the ater kik, the miser kik, the cabbage-potatoes-carrots dish, and the collard greens). We also got an order of foul.

They give each person two injera, and also serve the food on a big injera. Here's what you need to know, more than anything: the foul is foul-cking mindblowing. It comes with a yogurt sauce, and it's just absolutely unbelievable. But be forewarned: it may overshadow everything else on your injera. Especially the lentils and the collard greens. The lentils we found sort of bland, and I realized for the 1000th time that I just don't like collard greens that much... too bitter for me. The cabbage-potato dish was outstanding, though, as were the chickpeas.

They also have a tv (unlike me) so we were lucky enough to get to watch the 49ers... lose... their bid for the superbowl. Not Mudai's fault, though!

They serve Diet Cokes, their food is filling and affordable, spicy but not overwhelming, and they have parking available behind the restaurant. No complaints here!

• Visited January 2012

USA
“Decent food, very homey atmosphere, nice staff”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The food is more like a 3.25 to 3.5, but something about the atmosphere, which is not fancy (it looks like a former American Legion Hall) but feels homey. The staff are very nice- a definite 5 out of 5! The beer and wine prices are very low. We tried Tej, the Ethiopian honey wine. It was cloyingly sweet but interesting to try and a good foil for the spicy lamb dish (#9). The others tried 4 of the 5 veggies dishes and thought they were good, but not the best Ethiopian they'd ever had. The prices were quite decent and you could easily walk out of here spending 20$ or less with a meal, a drink. I'd definitely go back.

• Visited December 2011
“This was the first time I've had...”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This was the first time I've had ethiopian food since I was a kid; this place was really good. The food was flavorful, well prepared and served in a welcoming atmosphere. While the injera (flatbread) was too tart to eat alone, it did enhance the overall food flavor. The decor was average, but I left full and satisfied.

San Jose, CA
“Excellent food - you can eat in a common...”
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Excellent food - you can eat in a common dish with spouse / girl friend / date and it just adds to the experience.
Good menu for vegetarians too - and you can make it spicy. Order the spongy "injera" bread to go and eat it with homemade soup or dips later.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook