“Decent food, very homey atmosphere, nice staff”

Mudai Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #560 of 2,169 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian, Afghani
Description: Mudai is an authentic Ethiopian cuisine restaurant located just on the edge of downtown San Jose, a walking distance to the major hotels, Hilton, Marriott, Crown Plaza, Saint Claire, and Fairmont. Our food is very traditional and spicily delicious. Come and tour Ethiopia without leaving San Jose.
USA
“Decent food, very homey atmosphere, nice staff”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The food is more like a 3.25 to 3.5, but something about the atmosphere, which is not fancy (it looks like a former American Legion Hall) but feels homey. The staff are very nice- a definite 5 out of 5! The beer and wine prices are very low. We tried Tej, the Ethiopian honey wine. It was cloyingly sweet but interesting to try and a good foil for the spicy lamb dish (#9). The others tried 4 of the 5 veggies dishes and thought they were good, but not the best Ethiopian they'd ever had. The prices were quite decent and you could easily walk out of here spending 20$ or less with a meal, a drink. I'd definitely go back.

• Visited December 2011

“This was the first time I've had...”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This was the first time I've had ethiopian food since I was a kid; this place was really good. The food was flavorful, well prepared and served in a welcoming atmosphere. While the injera (flatbread) was too tart to eat alone, it did enhance the overall food flavor. The decor was average, but I left full and satisfied.

San Jose, CA
“Excellent food - you can eat in a common...”
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Excellent food - you can eat in a common dish with spouse / girl friend / date and it just adds to the experience.
Good menu for vegetarians too - and you can make it spicy. Order the spongy "injera" bread to go and eat it with homemade soup or dips later.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Mediocre Ethiopian.”
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Mediocre Ethiopian.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Columbia, South Carolina
“Mmmmmmmmmmmm Mudai!”
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I've never tried Ethiopian food, so my brother took me here. It's a very simple place, a hole in the wall that's a hidden gem. I love restaurants that feel authentic, not Americanized, and this place is a good example - very simple decor, posters hanging advertising Ethiopian beer.

I wish I could tell you what we had, but my brother and sister-in-law ordered - and it was delicious. Everything was served on one big platter for all of us to share. No utensils are provided - you use a sour bread tortilla type of bread to pick up food off the main dish. The sour of the bread complimented the spicy food well. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spicy food, and this was perfect for me, just a bit of bite, but not overpowering. I was told that some of their food is very spicy though, so be sure to inquire!

We were one of two groups in the restaurant, so we received good service and the prices were very reasonable. Overall a good experience and I'd recommend this place to anyone who wants to try an authentic, un-Americanized experience!

Been to Mudai Ethiopian Restaurant? Share your experiences!