“First visit, went for Brunch”

Village California Bistro and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Village California Bistro and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 2,215 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Winchester & Stevens Creek
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Had the Village Break, 2 eggs, choice of meat, potatoes and muffin or toast. Ordered coffee asked if we wanted cream and sugar only brought cream. Coffee not very hot. Coffee refills were slowing coming.Food came quickly. No salt or pepper on the table had to ask for it. Roast potatoes and applewood bacon were excellent! I've had as good of breakfast for a little less money at other local places. I ordered a really basic breakfast, maybe if I ordered something fancier on the menu and it was good I'd be more inclined to rate this place higher. Busy place, good vibe.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I loved this place for a couple of reason. One is food: they have a great selection of fish but also good meat offering.
The appetizer are great and I love to taste the Kobe carpaccio with truffle olive oil.
Truffle? Kobe beef? Sounds expensive!
And this is my second reason: it is not. It is a reasonably priced place in a unreasonably expensive location (Santana Row)

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Went to this place in a group of 13 guys - business trip. They were superb. Excellent wines, good food, and important for me, good dessert wines (Tokaji/Tokay). No faulting them. Service persisted to the bitter end!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I live near Santana Row and periodically return to the Village Bistro to see if they've gotten any better food-wise, and alas, I'm always disappointed. It's not bad food, it's just a bit assembly-line tasting, i.e., as though there wasn't an actual chef doing the cooking, just minimum wage employees who were shown how to make everything. They frequently do have a lot of people dining there, but I think it's because their restaurant name sounds like they will have a little bit of everything, and folks find that appealing.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I agree with a prior review that this restaurant is less pretentious than most others on Santana Row -- nice atmosphere but a bit more subdued. We ate here at 830 on a Sat night and got a table right away. If I'd known there were lots of heaters outside we would have sat there, but we had a nice time inside.

Our server, whose name I forget, was one of the best we've had in a long time. Extremely friendly and helpful.

I had the soup of the day, a corn soup with a crab-stuffed squash blossom. It was one of the best soups I've ever had. I was scraping the bottom of the bowl. My husband got the burger and liked it a lot. It came with a ton of fries. I got the Thai forbidden rice curry with chicken -- it was not as good as the soup, but anything was going to be a let down at that point. It grew on me, but I've definitely had better Thai curries.