“Gourmet Mexican especially the drinks!”

Consuelo Mexican Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Consuelo Mexican Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #538 of 2,208 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Olsen Drive
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Have the salmon tacos, the guacamole mixed at your table, the addictive fresh tortillas...to die for. But what I will not forget were the cocktails. Every margarita unique distinct and refreshing. We sat outside in front but enjoyed the people-watching. Never mind that the service was a bit slow. I'm still savouring the tequila flavours - the best outside Mexico!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Been here a couple of times and on the whole not bad. No burrito's or enchilada's to be seen - but plenty else on offer. The Sopa Tortilla was excellent - one of the best I have ever had. Salmon tacos very nice. The guac was very nice - but we asked for it to be spicy and it wasn't.
Worth a try...

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We finished our shoe shopping and decided to walk through Santana Row in San Jose to find a restaurant that looked interesting. Upon finding mutual attraction after looking at their menu, my wife and I chose Consuelo's Mexican Bistro, and we are very glad we did. Ok, I have to confess that I am on a diet, so I am avoiding beef. We each had one of their house margaritas which was wonderfully tart with lime. During the dinner we each had a second one; so much for the diet. Strangely enough, after looking through a pretty extensive menu of various stuffed, bacon-wrapped, and otherwise interesting choices, we both chose Pescado de Dia, which was fish of the day in a creamy yet spicy sauce with green beans and something that resembles the word "huitalcoche" (likely spelled wrong) on top, which was like a shredded mushroom. It was awesome. The flavors blended together beautifully and sitting outside with the ambiance of Santana Row's bands playing nearby made for a perfect evening dinner. We started a conversation with the next table over who were celebrating their first night out (mom, mom's mom, and mom's mom boyfriend) since the birth of the 3 week old little girl with them. It was a first time for them also, and two of them ordered the filet mignon. I don't know when my diet has hurt more. It looked incredible and had it not been for my superb fish, I'd likely have been arrested for running through the plaza while gnawing on a stolen filet.

Consuelo's Mexican Bistro was wonderful. If you are on a budget, keep track of the $12 margaritas, but we escaped very well fed and watered at $110 with tip. It was worth it. Besides, after shoe shopping with my wife, it was cheaper to eat than continue shopping.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Food I find is a bit expensive and they don't have an extensive menu, however the food taste good and they have good service. Waiter/waitress are always nice and give honest feedback. Their guacamole is very good.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Being mexican I don't usually eat mexican food when not in Mexico but this place made me feel at home. Handmade tortillas, delicious salsas, real mexican guacamole and very good carnitas. The staff was very friendly. Yum yum

Been to Consuelo Mexican Bistro? Share your experiences!