“Disappointing food. Loud Karaoke”

The Island Grill & Bamboo Lounge
Ranked #1,253 of 2,223 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Went here this week for a birthday because we'd had a good time and experience a couple of years ago. Not this time.

The Island Grill is a relatively small restaurant in the Clarion Hotel on 4th Street near the San Jose airport and it's perfect for me because it's half way between work and home. I pass it every day on the way to work, so I though it would be a good place to meet my wife for a nice birthday dinner. I made a reservation for 6:30 but it wasn't necessary because th eplace had only a couple of other tables filled by then and didn't get much busier over the next hour.

The restaurant is connected to the Bamboo Lounge. Until 7pm, that wasn't a problem but the live music and Karaoke started up at 7 and it got a bit harder to talk over the music.

Meanwhile, the food came. My wife had ordered the special: salmon stuffed with crab. I'm not sure why a nice piece of salmon needs to be stuffed with crab, but my wife liked the idea. It tasted funky to me. I ordered a cup of island chowder and a chicken salad. The cup of chowder was tiny and cost $5, way out of proportion to the entrees, which run about $15 to $25 except for the outrageous $50+ surf and turf deal. The chicken in my chicken salad was fried (ugh), and fried hard (double ugh). Taste wasn't bad but I really had not expected a Chicken McNuggets salad in a place like this.

Probably won't try this again. There are too many wonderful places to eat in San Jose.

1  Thank Steven L

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I ordered the Bali Hai pasta from this restaurant with grilled prawns and it was wonderful. The pasta was also made with garlic, basil, sun dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and olive oil. The restaurant is part of the Clarion Hotel complex on N. Fourth Street. It is clean and the staff is friendly.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Fridays and Saturday they have Prim Rib for $14.95 Heard of house of Prime rib just like it was good

Reviewed March 23, 2012

If you want a decent meal this might be your place. Don't go for the service as it's non existent. I have one other review for this restaurant as it's very close to a hotel I usually stay at and don't have a car when I come here. The food is always good. Great selection and the steaks are the best.

As for the service, it is just awful ! Anyone that says otherwise has either a free meal or too many drinks. Tonight i arrived and was told to take any seat. I took a booth. There was no table service on the table (non ever provided even after my meal arrived) I had to get it from an adjacent table. I know that a bread basket is normally served, I had to ask for it. No water offered and generally slow to respond. All this and the place was almost empty. No excuse for this type of service for one visit but this is normal for this place. Next time I'll go to the bar.

1  Thank Randall L
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Better than continental, what tasted best was the fact that it was free