“Best in SJ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
“Best in SJ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is high-end for Vietnamese food --- they changed it up a little ever since his daughter opened the place in Palo Alto, which is more Vietnamese food for white-people @2x the price and 1/2 the portions --- this place is more the real-deal without the bad atmosphere of many of the great Vietnamese food places in San Jose -- of all the Asian food Vietnamese has always been one of my favorites - healthy and inexpensive and light ...

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Tj S

• Korean first
San Mateo, California, USA
“Great food / good service / clean restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

This venue is one of the nicer Vietnamese restaurants. The quality of the food is authentic and the presentation is also nice. It's slightly more expensive than other places, but you do get a good overall value for the extra cost. The service is definitely better than most places.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank tracesan
Hercules, California
“More expensive than your average Vietnamese restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is our second visit to Vung Tau. Our first time was with a group of 20 back in December. My husband and I went on a Sunday at about 3pm. A hostess promptly greeted us and seated us right away.

AMBIANCE: Modern Asian decor. The place seems small when you enter, but it is actually pretty spacious. It is a good place to take a date, but be prepared to spend more than you would in a typical Asian restaurant.

SERVICE: Prompt service. Water glasses were periodically refilled. I appreciate that they check on the diners from time to time.

FOOD:
Banh Khot (crispy shrimp pancakes) -- $8.50. It is made with coconut milk flour and ground shrimp. It comes with a side of sweet chili sauce and a plate of greens. To eat it, wrap the shrimp pancakes in the greens and dip it in chili sauce. But since I'm not much of a vegetable eater, I just ate the pancakes as is. Besides, wrapping and dipping was too messy for me. My husband loves this appetizer!

Bo Luc Lac (shaking beef, lettuce, tomatoes) -- $15.50. The meat is tender and flavorful. You can't go wrong with this dish.

Ca Tuyet Chien Sot Thai (sea bass fried topped with Thai Sauce) -- $17.95. The dish was good, but I was not so happy with the portion size relative to the price.

Hoanh Thanh (pork and shrimp wontons noodle soup) -- $8.95. I was not able to try this because we ordered it specifically for the homeless person seated outside the side of the building towards the parking lot.

Steamed Rice for 2 -- $3.50

BILL: Our total bill was $58.94 without tip which I found relatively expensive.

VERDICT: Food and ambiance are actually excellent. But the price made me dock a point. Had they been more generous in their portion size, that would have justified their higher prices. But I've been to other Asian restaurants that are comparable in food taste and quality yet are more reasonably priced. If you like to enjoy authentic Vietnamese fare in a modern Asian setting and do not mind paying a bit more, then this is the perfect place for you. But if you are on a limited budget, you're better off elsewhere...unless you just come in for the noodle soup or appetizers. Since my husband and I often eat out, I would rather find affordable alternatives to stretch our budget.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Fuchsiapower
Channel Islands National Park, California
“Pretty Good Hoanh Thanh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

On a recent business trip, we stopped into Vung Tau since it was on the way to San Jose airport for us. The general reviews seemed good so we decided to give it a shot. The place was very clean and many waiters/waitresses to help you. They are very attentive. I had the wonton (hoanh thanh) soup with pork and shrimp and it was very good. We got there right at 11:30 and there was already many tables taken. By the time we left 45 minutes later, the place filled up. It was a good place and we would stop in again when we are in the area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John R
San Jose, California
“Great Find for Vietnamese Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We dined with friends and none of us were very familiar with many Vietnamese dishes. The waiter was very helpful in helping us choose dishes that we could share and taste. The shrimp cupcakes are the star appetizer. All of the dishes we had were very tasty - fish, pork and seafood. The fish did come whole and we had to debone it ourselves. Perhaps if we requested, they would have done it for us. The service was good and they were eager to please. Despite what other reviewers have said, we did not find this restaurant too pricey for what we received. Will definitely visit this restaurant again.

• Visited October 2012