“wonderful for business or pleasure.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 2,143 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: San Carlos St.
Transit: City bus stops are located nearby
Description: Il Fornaio means "The Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2013.
Los Angeles, California
“wonderful for business or pleasure.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Great atmosphere: very popular, very busy, lots of people. This is a large facility and very busy when I went, on a weekday and late in the evening. However, the service was good and food ead ok. Salad is fresh.

Visited November 2013

• Korean first
Santa Cruz, California
“"Great Food"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place has wonderful food and I love the atmosphere. What a shame this great restaurant has a lot going for it and has to be ruined with such crappy service! The waiter acted as if we were a burden just being there, I had to chase him down twice just to get a glass of wine. Then to top it off, I went to use the restroom and was walking back to the table when I passed my friend that I having dinner with walking to the restroom also. Upon my return the waiter met me near the front door, apparently he thought we were trying to leave without paying and handed me the bill. I told him we were not done with dinner yet, but he advised me they had already cleared the table...wow!!! Amazing how management can overlook something like this. I would have given the place just one star, but like I said, great food and atmosphere.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
San Jose, California
“Pizza Margherita has gone way downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

This location used to have the best wood fired pizza Margherita in the Bay Area. My last two visits it was dry, had the stingiest amount of tomato sauce I've ever seen, and only on a half-inch strip painted thinly around the outer edge. It was like eating dry,thin, week-old unleavened bread. Hopefully they'll correct this recent aberration.

Happy hour prices went up to $6.00 for food and beverage items, but it's still a great deal.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Jose, California
“So so Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

This place is in a perfect location and generally has a nice atmosphere. A little noisy and tightly packed, it should be perfect for out of town visitors or business lunches. Service is good overall. But the food is hit and miss. Stay away from anything that's baked -- the lasagna for example tasted like it was Stouffer frozen microwaved. Truly bad lasagna. Stick with the spaghetti's and pizzas which are good but not great. For some reason, this place isn't as good as the Il Fornaio in Palo Alto. Neither are upscale Italian. In fact there are only 1 or 2 from San Jose to Palo Alto that even come close to Manhattan. Good but not great

• Visited September 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Late cusomer and still great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I showed up at 10pm and the staff welcomed me to my table. The service was great and they had many suggestions. I listned to the watier and had a great meal. I will be back the next time I am in the area. Thanks!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Il Fornaio? Share your experiences!