“poor service and food in nice location”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 2,173 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: San Carlos St.
Transit: City bus stops are located nearby
Description: Il Fornaio means "The Baker" in Italian. This award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique dining experience. Specialties include wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; housemade pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and housemade soups; a wide variety of desserts; and fresh baked bread made daily from scratch. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2013.
Frankfurt, Germany
“poor service and food in nice location”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

the restaurant is located in a very nice old hotel building and has the attitude of an upscale restaurant. however, the waiters are all unexperienced, don't know from which side of the guest to serve wine or food and are not capable to answer questions. when they broad the bread i received a full basket for my own since it was placed right in front of me.
I ordered the chicken spinach cannelloni, a specialty of the house. I received two roles which looked more like Mexican wraps drowned in a creamy sauce. the meal had no special taste and the chicken had still some bones which should not be the case when stuffing the meat into pasta. Given the upscale attitude of the place, the quality of the food was very average with an even worse service. I cannot recommend the place and would not eat there a second time.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Senator007

• Korean first
Whitefish, Montana
“Treated well and had wonderful food.”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I enjoyed breakfast for four days. Everything I ordered was well prepared, well plated, and well served. The wait staff was attentive and the open kitchen was an enjoyable site. The french toast was fabulous!!

Il Fornaio made my stay very enjoyable.

Thanks you :)

• Visited September 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't understand other reviews”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Four adults and a child as a walk in - we receive excellent service ant the food was brilliant, especially considering the final bill. Having worked at several Michelin restaurants including one rated as the best in the world I feel I have enough experience and knowledge to judge. Would recommend this place to anyone. By the way the bread was excellent and our service outstanding.

Santa Rosa, California
“Possibly the worst service I have had anywhere”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Terrible breakfast experience! We are pretty tolerant, and this was the worst service we have received in a long time. They appeared to have plenty of staff, but had to practically beg to have our order taken, it took 20 minutes to get a cup of coffee that was lukewarm, the latte was cold, then took 40 minutes to get our breakfast. My wife's was wrong and mine was stone cold (nothing like cold, literally, poached eggs). Other diners were helping themselves to coffee refills and two women were wandering around trying to get hot water for their tea - they had tea bags but the waiter never brought them hot water. We spoke to the manager about halfway through this experience and he said he would check on things but never came back to our table. Unbelievable!

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank mobie0309
Coarsegold, CA
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I, my wife and my wife's cousin went looking for a good restaurant in downtown San Jose and
settled on this one. It was supposed to be a "high-end Italian restaurant". This was true so far as prices went. It was expensive, and the portions served were small. The ravioli variant I had was good enough, but not worth the cost. If you wanted anything other than some bread
(which was good, I will admit) and the small entree, you had to order extra. Service was somewhat lackadaisical. Next time we will eat somewhere else.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank whitehorseCoarsegold

Been to Il Fornaio? Share your experiences!