“Best Japanese restaurant in Japantown San Jose”

Minato Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #310 of 2,169 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
San Jose, California
“Best Japanese restaurant in Japantown San Jose”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Exceptional excellent Japanese restaurant in Japantown San Jose. I rate this THE best in Japantown here.

Food is excellent. Service was great. Portion is good. Parking meter in surrounding street, so not convenient. But parking meters not enforce after 6pm.
Tempura and Teriyaki chicken was reasonably price and delicious.

Caution: we ordered calamari steak, and was disappointed with bunch of cut up squid curls.

• Visited April 2014

cary, nc
“Surprise your family”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I did when i ate unagi don and loved it. This restaurant was a treat and we enjoyed both the food and the service.

• Visited September 2013
Corcoran, CA
“Hidden Treasure in San Jose Asian Commercial District”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

When a friend first recommended Minato Sushi Restaurant, I didn't even know San Jose had a
Asian commercial district. Minato Sushi is a small, Japanese family owned and managed restaurant offering an excellent menu at reasonable prices. I first learned of Minato's in the 70's and although we no longer live in San Jose, we make a point to visit when in the city. Consistently attended by the Asian population, the atmosphere is warm, intimate, and friendly. Don't go there to impress; go for good food and a welcoming environment and enjoy the sights of San Jose's Asia town.

• Visited April 2013
San Jose, California
“Minato stuns with value, service, food”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My friends and I were meeting in historic Japantown in San Jose at Minato for the first time. The service was very attentive without being intrusive. The food was exquisitely beautiful and totally perfect. We had an awkward number of diners yet there was no problem. We felt as though we were cherished return diners from the moment we arrived to the moment the door closed behind us. I had the sashimi plate with a huge amount of perfect yellowtail. It was creamy and buttery and was beautifully presented with marinated soy bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, edamame, wasabi, gari; all that was after my fabulous salad and miso soup was consumed. The timing was impeccable and never felt hurried although we ate and talked for over an hour and a half. Gene Yoneda is the owner of the restaurant and he came out to visit us to make sure that our dishes, which ranged from teriyaki to teriyaki and sashiimi and gyoza, were thoroughly satisfactory. Great food for a super price. Including a bottle of hot sake for me and a chardonnay for one of my friends, the bill came to 98$ before tip for five diners. ALl of us were totally sated and two women took carry away boxes because their portions were very generous. All in all a big winner and they even have a frequent diner program. I will go back anytime. Street parking was ample as well with 2 hours for 2$ !

• Visited October 2013
Simi Valley, California
“Always a nice stop at Minato's”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I ran across Minato's about 4 years ago and enjoyed the food very much. The service is excellent. When visiting I always see local Japanese young and old eating and always enjoying the food, this is always a good sign. When passing in the area I always stop for a visit and get my fix. Another nice thing is growing up in Southern California I was able to enjoy a family type restaurant that doesn't exist anymore in the old neighborhood, this was a real treat and it really was a blast to the past. keep up the good work.

• Visited June 2013