“Hidden Treasure in San Jose Asian Commercial District”

Minato Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #174 of 2,320 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Reviewed October 25, 2013

When a friend first recommended Minato Sushi Restaurant, I didn't even know San Jose had a
Asian commercial district. Minato Sushi is a small, Japanese family owned and managed restaurant offering an excellent menu at reasonable prices. I first learned of Minato's in the 70's and although we no longer live in San Jose, we make a point to visit when in the city. Consistently attended by the Asian population, the atmosphere is warm, intimate, and friendly. Don't go there to impress; go for good food and a welcoming environment and enjoy the sights of San Jose's Asia town.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My friends and I were meeting in historic Japantown in San Jose at Minato for the first time. The service was very attentive without being intrusive. The food was exquisitely beautiful and totally perfect. We had an awkward number of diners yet there was no problem. We felt as though we were cherished return diners from the moment we arrived to the moment the door closed behind us. I had the sashimi plate with a huge amount of perfect yellowtail. It was creamy and buttery and was beautifully presented with marinated soy bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, edamame, wasabi, gari; all that was after my fabulous salad and miso soup was consumed. The timing was impeccable and never felt hurried although we ate and talked for over an hour and a half. Gene Yoneda is the owner of the restaurant and he came out to visit us to make sure that our dishes, which ranged from teriyaki to teriyaki and sashiimi and gyoza, were thoroughly satisfactory. Great food for a super price. Including a bottle of hot sake for me and a chardonnay for one of my friends, the bill came to 98$ before tip for five diners. ALl of us were totally sated and two women took carry away boxes because their portions were very generous. All in all a big winner and they even have a frequent diner program. I will go back anytime. Street parking was ample as well with 2 hours for 2$ !

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I ran across Minato's about 4 years ago and enjoyed the food very much. The service is excellent. When visiting I always see local Japanese young and old eating and always enjoying the food, this is always a good sign. When passing in the area I always stop for a visit and get my fix. Another nice thing is growing up in Southern California I was able to enjoy a family type restaurant that doesn't exist anymore in the old neighborhood, this was a real treat and it really was a blast to the past. keep up the good work.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I just love coming here. It is such a treat. We met some friends here for Dinner, and just loved the Poki salad. They make it the right way. The sushi was fresh and loved the Bento boxes. When in Japantown, you have to come to Minato's for Lunch/Dinner. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

In September we had to fly out of the San Jose Mineta Airport and ended up eating at Minato Japanese restaurant. My husband fell in love with the food here. Now, we look forward to flying out of SJC so that we can eat at Minato and try a new bento box.

He had another flight out of SJC and couldn't wait for Minato's to open. Apparently, we aren't their only fans. At 5 p.m. there was a rush to get in. The food is good. The owner thoughtfully goes around to check on his customers. We've only been there three times and noticed that it is always busy. Patrons consists of families, members of the business community, all ages and socioeconomic backgrounds. The local police seem to like it. Instead of donuts San Jose police eat delicious bento...some with chopsticks! The food is good, service is good, and everyone there always seem to be enjoying the food. I still have to get used to the short shorts the waitresses run around in. I'm not sure whether it's a Hooter's thing, or if it's just hot in the kitchen. Clearly, it doesn't hurt business or tips, and every waitress we had was very good at their job. It is just a funky fun place. The decor is unique with the mirrored tiles, tacky white lamps that dangle down...can't explain why this only makes me love the place even more. Maybe it's because the place is very clean, and it is obvious that there's a lot of 'aloha' in this restaurant. Love is in the meals prepared and in the welcome customers receive when they enter Minato's.

You should check it out. It maybe just the diamond in the rough you've been looking for in your dining experience.