“My favorite sushi!”

Ranked #153 of 2,184 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
“My favorite sushi!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I LOVE Kazoo! When I moved to the Vancouver area three years ago I was really excited for the sushi possibilities. However, nothing beats the Japantown Kazoo in San Jose - it's usually our first stop when we go back to visit. A lot of the rolls are small (4 pieces) so you can order a few different kinds. We always get the San Diego, Paradise, Ebi Tempura, San Jose and Mr. Nobu rolls. The teriyaki meals are huge, too. We usually get two of those and rolls for our family of five and have leftovers. I can't say that I know a lot about "authentic" Japanese cuisine so I can't speak on that, but Kazoo fits my California fusion tastes.

• Korean first
Fremont
“Funny name, Authentic Japanese taste”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Recently I had lunch twice at Kazoo Restaurant in Japantown, San Jose, CA. I might be a little pickier than most when it comes to Japanese restaurants because of my Japanese heritage. Overall, I found the quality of the food good and the service very good in a very competitive environment for anyone offering Japanese cuisine.

Kazoo has a good assortment of sushi and traditional Japanese dishes. The quality and taste of the food is good. The fried tempura batter is not pasty, the sashimi is fresh, and eel (unagi donburi) was not overcooked. The beef curry sauce is not to watery or thick.

The restaurant itself, like many in Japantown, is an older structure and the seating is on the tight side. The two times I have been there, the service was quite good from the friendly staff and the prices are in line with surrounding Japanese eateries. The restaurant has a frequent buyers lunch program: buy 15 lunches (a party of 6 counts as 6 lunches) and get a free lunch.

At some Bay Area Japanese rastaurants, the food has the right appearance, but the taste is not quite right, in my opinion. The food at Kazoo tastes authentic to me. Definitely worth a try. I will be going back.

• Visited October 2011
usa
“A diverting experience in tech town”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

After you have had your fill of Silicon Valley trendy restaurants, conference halls and business meetings this is a great alternative and a good spot to go off the grid to meet family and friends to talk about non business matters. Most everything on the menu is good including the tender tempura. The lettuce side salad is boring, but you didn't show up for that.

• Visited January 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“loved the shoyu ramen and miso --- yummm !”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

loved the shoyu ramen and miso --- yummm !

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“best place in japantown...”
Reviewed November 12, 2008

best place in japantown bar none! a great value, friendly staff. love it to bits!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook