“Good Service and Big Portions”

Blue Water Seafood and Crab
Ranked #88 of 2,152 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, American, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bird Ave
San Jose, California
“Good Service and Big Portions”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We went to Blue Water for a weekday birthday lunch with seven people. I had heard that there was a new seafood restaurant in Willow Glen and wanted to try it. They have a pretty extensive menu, and the server was very helpful in making suggestions. He also explained how the restaurant came to be, and how the owner was striking out on his own, after working in corporate restaurants for a while.
The food was delicious, our group had the fish taco trio, cuban sandwich, crab cake sandwich, the chicken sandwich (my lame receptionist), and I had the soft-shell crab sandwich. The service is quick (granted, we were the only ones there), and the portions are HUGE. The server hung around and refilled everyones drinks several times, and provided boxes for the ample leftovers.
The only complaint was from the person that ordered the cuban sandwich. Dry, and undersized. I was going to order the soft shell crab platter, but the server said the sandwich was more popular, so I went with that. Delicious. Definitely would like to go back for Dinner and try one of the seafood buckets.
Check out the motion activated Shark when you come in the door !

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Good Seafood”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a group of 6-7 and we were accomodated very quickly. I like the casual style of this restaurant. We ordered oysters which were fresh and plump. We also had a crab bucket with potatoes and corn. It was very good even if a bit messy!! I would certainly go back to try some other dishes.

• Visited July 2013
San Jose, California
“A Little Different Dining Experience”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Liked the idea of a casual place to eat fresh seafood where you can crack your own crab on the butcher paper on your table. We've had that experience in Florida & loved it. Our family went for dinner, but found the prices a little high for what we received. The wait staff was very friendly and the service was good. I ordered the Manhattan clam chowder which was good, but lacking in clams. We ordered the 3 lb. bucket of crab, clams & shrimp to share, but the 3 lbs. included potatoes and corn on the cob which made up much of the 3 lbs. The seafood was fresh and tasty with accompanying sauces.

Go if you would like a different dining experience, but be prepared that the prices are not as casual as the decor. Kids will like the enormous shark hanging from the ceiling and kids eat free on Tuesdays.

• Visited September 2013
San Jose, California
“Nice restaurant on edge of Willow Glen”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a coupon for this new restaurant in Willow Glen so we gave it a try. And, we will return, but most likely for lunch, not dinner.

First, the wait staff was great. We were greeted by three different people, chose our table and had a lovely, professional waitperson. There is something about being served by a person who really seems to enjoy his/her job that enhances the experience. The restaurant, itself, is in a small shopping/strip mall and really doesn't fit with the tattoo or nail places. It's nicely furnished and there is a huge shark hanging from the ceiling. I think it's filled with helium but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, I digress from the review.

We both ordered the fish tacos on the lunch special on our coupon. The place has been open about one month and they've already changed the menu but they honored the coupon. The price was great - $8.99 which included two fish tacos and salad (or fries). The tacos were perfect, we both loved the shell, which was heated in a pan without oil so not at all greasy. The fish was shredded and topped with lettuce, tomatoes and sauce. Very, very nicely done and presented. Our waitperson checked on how we were doing several times, refilling our water and sodas as often as we liked. I believe the owner came over to say "hello" and check on our lunch, which was really a nice and appreciated touch.

The prices here are fairly high, though, so if we come for dinner we will be ordering tacos. We saw an appetizer plate on another table that was huge...lots of fried shrimp and french fries. And, I think that dish was about $10. But, some of the dinner entrees are as high as $27+.

The restaurant has a full bar, two tv's were on sports channels and there is plenty of parking. Maybe they have hired a new cook since John O wrote his review because we have no complaints.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Rebelliot
San Jose, California
“Nice owner and wait staff, lousy cook”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I feel bad for the owner. He's a really nice guy. The wait staff is friendly, but inexperienced. Having to ask for utensils is not good. I asked the waitress one time how many soft shell crabs were in the entree. She replied she didn't know, and never checked or got back to me with an answer. The next visit the bartender didn't know either, but at least she checked and got back to me with an answer--two.

There are fewer than a dozen wines, but their pour is extremely generous. They have lots of beers and six or seven flat panel TVs.

But the cook is completely incompetent. He must be from a landlocked part of Mexico, cuz he can't cook seafood worth a damn. The mussels were so overcooked there was literally not a drop of moisture left in them, just little strips of totally dry shoe leather clinging doggedly to the shell. Swordfish overcooked and dry. It comes with a tiny ramekin of dry-ish garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. Lobster tail significantly overcooked. Soft shell crab, a delicate dish, ruined by a thick, grainy, panko-type coating. Chicken tortilla soup thick and tasty, not the water based soup you see in many places. On one occasion the shoestring fries and green beans must have been plated well before the fish or the soft shell crab was cooked, since the beans and fries were almost cold on the plate. Kickin' crab soup had absolutely no crab in it. All our visits were at times when there were no more than a dozen patrons, so there is zero excuse for the consistent overcooking of good ingredients.

The place has potential if and only if the owner finds a good cook. But it's just three blocks from the newly re-opened Lou's Village, where the cooks know how to cook fish properly. I'll call to see if there is a new cook before I go back. My friend agrees.

• Visited January 2013