“Amazing food, drinks and athmosphere”
Review of Dry Creek Grill

Dry Creek Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Dry Creek Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 2,244 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've been to this place 5 times now, on my own and with friends and the verdict was unanimous, we will defenetly come back.
The atmosphere and decor is amazing, warm, classy and sexy at the same time.
The staff is very friendly and efficient, the hostess helped us right away and each time our server or bartender was able to recommend us amazing entrees or apperatizers.
They have a great selection of Wines and I love that they didn't hesitate to make my custom made cocktail.

What I love also is that there is so much room at the tables and bar, even if the place was packed, you still have your personal space.

I would defenetly recommend the Filet Mignonette and
The carpaccio or beet salad. My friend loved her
Calamari salad and she had the half roasted chicken, delicious.
I am not a dessert person, but she loved the lemon cake so much that she ordered one to go for breakfast, lol.

The fact that it is located by a mall, allows a lot of free parking space
Which is a luxury especially in the Bay Area.

I would defenetly recommend this place for a date or for a group celebration.

One more thing, they have live music on select days, awesome.

1  Thank Bouchra1312

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner this evening at the Dry Creek Grill. The menu was vast. The atmosphere delightful. The service was outstanding. I had a rib eye steak that was flavorful. My husband had a huge hamburger. My daughter had a bacon wrapped meatloaf that was fabulous. Not a good restaurant for children with no children's menu and the choices for kids slim to none. The prices were on the high side.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have dined here 3 times over the past few months (all with different friends/groups) and each time we have been underwhelmed. I think the issue stems from the restaurant trying to do too much. The service has improved over each of our visits, but it's still nothing to write home about (slightly above average at best). The food is decent but again, nothing to write home about. The biggest complaint is the ambiance. The first time we visited as a Saturday night shortly after they opened and the place was packed...so it was loud to being with. Then, in the middle of dinner (around 8:30pm) a full on cover band started playing and I could not hear the person sitting next to me talk. The second time was a random Wednesday evening. The restaurant was not as packed as our previous visit but still just as loud (the acoustics in this place are horrific). Then, right on cue at 7:30pm, in the middle of our meal, a solo act (guy with a guitar) starts playing music and again, we could hardly hear other people at our table of 4 talking.

This places needs to decide what it is....are you a high end steak joint or a BBQ place? Are you up-scale or casual (decor suggests upscale, food and ambiance suggests casual). Are you a restaurant or a supper club? Either way, figure out what you are and for the love of goodness, try keeping the music to Friday and Saturday nights only maybe. No need to have such an obscene level of noise on a Wednesday night when you just want to have a casual dinner with some friends! Ugg!

Another thing that just rubbed us the wrong way was when we were greeted at our table by our server. He told us the specials, one of which was Halibut that raised the eyebrows of the ladies at the table with the usual "that sounds really good" comments. He then hurried back to the table to let us know that there were only 2 orders of Halibut left and if the ladies were interested in ordering them, he would place the order now so someone else couldn't take them. He said they started with evening with 8 orders and they were down to the last 2? Really? It's your special of the day and you have 8 orders to try and get you through the whole night? (a random Wednesday night at 6pm at that). Clearly there was some sort of SPIF for the servers for selling the fish special or something....just left a poor taste in our mouths (and the Halibut was actually pretty dry when it came out). BTW - the other food we orders was average (BBQ chicken, brisket, etc)

Until they figure out what they are and what they are going to offer people, you are better off going to a specialty restaurant to satisfy your craving for a nice meal (steak, BBQ, fish, etc). Combine that with the relatively high prices and the wacky dining room layout (chairs are way too big and there are too many of them....) and you can see people turning sour on this place pretty quickly.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We heard about this restaurant from friends and decided to try it out.We made reservations and was escorted right to our table with no waiting despite the crowd.I thought it was going to be noisy but the little alcove we were set in was very cozy and we were able to talk with no difficulty.Soon after being seated we were waited on and the service was excellent the whole evening. The bread was warm and delicious.Our meal was very good.We had the chicken pasta and the St. Louis ribs.Both dishes were so very good. We were going to skip dessert but wanted to see what they offered. We ordered the Boston Creme pie and every bite was delicious! The coffee also was very good. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My cousin and I had planned on going to Black Angus for dinner. I was under the slightly mistaken impression that it was sort of an upscale version of Outback, and I'd never been, so thought it might be nice to try it. Well, my cousin corrected me, let me know that it really wasn't anything special. Not bad, just not special.

So we checked OpenTable to see what might be available for 6:00pm. It was already 4:00pm. Luckily we were able to get a reservation. (Just barely. I tried booking the reservation before deleting my other one, which didn't work, and when I went back, it was gone. Thankfully it finally processed through that I hadn't been able to make the reservation and it opened up again.)

I cannot tell you how happy I was that we changed our minds!

From their website: Upscale yet relaxed. Sophisticated but not stuffy. Effortlessly cool. Lively and spirited. A celebration of life, food, and friends.

The restaurant, which opened up just last year, is located at one end of some sort of mall-type area, with a bank and a Bally's right there. (I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the area, so am not really sure it's a mall, but some sort of business area with lots of parking.) All of the parking spaces say for Bally's, but we parked in one of the slots anyway and nothing happened. I think in the evenings that's expected. Outside is a seating area with a fire roaring for those cold evenings. It really was very lovely. Two swirling flame lamps adorn either side of the entrance. (Their website shows the front of the restaurant so you can check it out if you'd like.)

When you enter, you'll pass a wine cellar on the left as you head to the greeting area. The interior of the restaurant is quite lovely, very upscale, with enough light to see your way around and gaze over the other diners. I guess it's what would be considered romantic lighting, maybe a tad bit lighter. Definitely not bright, no glare.

There were several people standing around, but we made it to the podium within a minute or so. We checked in and were told it would be only a few minutes. I overheard someone else say they were going to have to wait about 30 minutes (they didn't have reservations) as the restaurant was fairly busy. Again, thank goodness for OpenTable and reservations!

We were seated toward the end of the restaurant. (I'd guess there is seating for about 60ish? The website has a photo gallery, and that number, along with my memory, seems to be about right.) There is a stage for a band on this side of the restaurant, and I have to say, having live music while dining is quite lovely. We were close enough to hear the jazz players, but far enough away to not be overwhelmed by them. The drummer is behind a screen, which probably helped, too. There was a birthday that night, and they sang happy birthday to I think his name was Michael. Very nice.

I don't think many children go to this place, but there was a large group nearby that had a couple of young children (3-4 years old?), and they were very well behaved. In fact, I didn't even notice them until one of the adults picked them up and carried them around a bit. (Maybe they'd been getting restless? If so, I didn't notice.)

Our waiter (who was quite hansome, by the way) came over to check on us about ten mintues after we arrived (we'd already received water and bread) to see if we were ready. We'd been gabbing so weren't quite ready, and he let us know that was perfectly fine, he'd check in again later. Luckily he did not rush us. There are so many delicious-looking items on the list, from burgers to steaks, pastas to bbq. What to choose?

My cousin is very fond of French onion soup, so that's what she started with. I thought about the crab cakes, because I absolutely love them, but finally decided on the blue gem salad. JJ absolute loved the soup! She said it was exactly what French onion soup is supposed to be. (If you've read my review of Catch, you know I tried the soup there, but didn't find it to my liking - I'm just not a French onion soup kinda gal, I guess.) The blue gem salad was also exactly what it's supposed to be, and I very much enjoyed it. (Okay, I might've liked a bit more dressing, but really, it was enough. I don't like my salad dripping in dressing, but another half teaspoon or so would've been nice.)

I found a cocktail I wanted to try, but it turned out the warm cocktails apparently weren't selling well so they weren't making them anymore. (Time to take them off the drink menu.) Instead, our waiter, Mr. Handsome, suggested I try the blood orange cosmo. I am NOT one for cosmos, but it was a night for trying new things, so I said I'd give it a go. It was quite delicious. I don't know how to describe the taste of alcohol, so I won't even try, but it was sweet without being overly sweet, which is pretty much what I wanted. (Next time I'm going to try the bourbon cider.)

For her entree, JJ chose the DCG meatloaf, a large bacon-wrapped hunk of goodness with a bbq glaze (a tad overwhelming on the outside - JJ thought it might be better if it was infused with the bbq sauce instead, but it wouldn't stop her from ordering it again), and garlic mashed potatoes and glazed carrots on the side. If she hadn't had the soup, and didn't want to leave room for dessert, she would've cleaned her plate. As it is she boxed up about half to take home.

I have always wanted to order a very expensive steak. I had received a small bonus at work, so I let myself do just that and ordered the $49, 24oz porterhouse, medium rare. I seriously considered the $57, 14oz Wagyu, but in the end, it was the sides that made my choice for me. While I do love garlic mashed potatoes, I'm not much for broccolini. Instead I went for the twice-baked potato and asparagus, along with a mushroom demi glaze. (I LOVE mushrooms.) I'm a mac & cheese fanatic, so I also ordered a side of theirs, and I am glad I did!

The steak was delicious! I've never had porterhouse before, and it was definitely the right choice. It was very tender, nicely browned on the outside, still red on the inside. JJ told me to eating the outside of the steak, knowing I wouldn't be finishing my meal, and then when I reheated it, it would still be juicy. (She was right, but more on that later.) I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to add anything to my food, like salt, pepper, steak sauce, any of that. This steak didn't need it; it was very flavorful. So glad my first (nearly) $50 steak was so amazing! I will never shy away from it again. (It'll still be only an occasional treat, but it will be one I allow myself to have every now and again.)

The twice-baked potato was also very good. It wasn't amazingly better than I've had elsewhere, but it was what I wanted it to be, full of the creamy goodness of cheese, sour cream and butter, along with green onions and bacon. Good flavor, good texture. (Read: not mealy.) The asparagus, too was delicious, not overcooked with just the slightest crunch. The steak had been resting on about half of the stalks, and they had soaked up some of the flavoring. And of course, the mushroom glaze was lovely, too.

And now that mac & cheese. I'm so glad I ordered it! Cavatappi pasta, béchamel, white cheddar and parmesan cheeses with a slightly crusted bread crumb top, all in a way-too-small dish! (Seriously, the size was probably more generous than most would expect, but like I said, I LOVE mac & cheese, so any size would be too small.) Sometimes I've found that there is too much salt in restaurant mac & cheese. Not this place! It was just right. (Remember, I typically don't add anything to my food. I'm not a big fan of salt anyway, so others may think it wasn't salty enough.) It was cheesy enough that there was a minimal amount of "string" when I pulled up my first spoonful, but not so much that the pasta was swimming in it. I always think I want it really super cheesy, but the reality is, it just needs to be the right cheese, and not take away from the pasta.

And yes, I, too, took home a box of leftovers. More than half of my meal went home with me, as I did have more food than JJ. I did reheat everything in the microwave for dinner the next night, which you might think would make the steak dry. It didn't! I don't know if it's that particular cut or not, but the meat was just as juicy as the night before. Now an admission - I'm SUPER glad I couldn't have eaten the whole thing at the restaurant. I was practically eating the bone to get to the last morsels of meat, it was so good! I really wouldn't want to be that messy in a nice restaurant. The potato wasn't quite as good as the night before, but truly still good. The mac & cheese was still heavenly. It didn't get that greasiness to it that sometimes happens to reheated mac & cheese.

Now for dessert. We saved the room, we weren't about to pass.

JJ has the apple crisp with vanilla bean ice cream. The "crisp" was an oatmeal crumble, which she usually isn't fond of, but she wanted to try it anyway. With the exception that a small part of the crisp was slightly more crisp (read: a tad burned) than it should have been, she said it was good. She wasn't over or underwhelmed by it, might or might not order it again.

I had the triple chocolate fudge cake with vanilla bean ice cream. Okay, it doesn't compare to the fantasy cake at House of Prime Rib (what does? That's chocolate cake AND cheesecake!), but it was darned good, I tell ya! The chocolate crunch part of the cake was almost like little chocolate chips coating the icing. Not sure I'd really call it crunch, but don't know what I would call it, so crunch is good enough. (Think about it - if you eat a chocolate chip, it doesn't really crunch, right? I was thinking from that word that it would be something like the crunch of a Nestle crunch bar.) Whatever you call it, is was yummy. If you love chocolate, you'll love this cake. I admit, though, that next time I'm going for my personal all-time favorite dessert, cheesecake. All I can say about not getting the cheesecake this time is that as already mentioned, it was a night for trying new things.

Anyway, definitely giving this place a very high thumbs up. JJ said she thinks it's her new favorite place in the San Jose area. Friendly greeters, beautiful restaurant, cheerful staff (I forgot to mention that our water glasses were never empty!), lovely band, handsome waiter, amazing food, and sumptuous cocktail. What more could a girl ask for? Deliciousness all around.

NOTE: For pricing, most of the entrees are under $30. It's the steaks, all but one, that are over $30. It's for this reason I put the pricing in the $$ range, not the $$$ range. And the outdoor seating is only for while folks are waiting (and possibly for drinking, not sure about that), not for eating.

Been to Dry Creek Grill? Share your experiences!