“Best restaurant in Willow Glen, close to downtown SJ”
Review of The Table

The Table
Ranked #56 of 2,321 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lincoln Ave
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is the best restaurant in WG, by far. Reminds me of neighborhood places in SF from when I lived there. Been coming here for a year since they opened. Great for lunch and dinner; haven't tried brunch but here it is fantastic and bottomless mimosas on many days. It may not be to everyone's taste, if you are used to big chain restaurants (whether Olive Garden or Maggianos) and the menu is on the smaller side, but it's really good. Food is fresh, locally sourced, thoughtfully and carefully prepared, not overly salted, etc. There is a very good burger . The lunch chicken salad is fantastic--I wish they'd put it on the dinner menu regularly. Vegetarian choices have improved, but they could add a few more. There are always a couple of gluten free options, and they will work with you if you need to accommodate that. Staff is friendly, non-pretentious, and helpful. Drinks are good, bartenders are great, and the wines are reasonably priced and good--someone knows how to pick good value wines here. It's best to make a reservation, and yes, when you come in, you may have to wait briefly even if you have a reservation--because it's a small place and they don't hurry out previous diners--but to me, that's the way it should be. Everyone in our family likes this place--from our 20-something hipster-ish kids, to we middle-aged prof. folks, to my older parents who like good food. Give it a try if you like good, fresh food. Frankly, if I could afford it, I just walk by on my way home (we live not far) and eat dinner here every night. Outdoor seating is coming, I hear, in 2014 some time-they are expanding, a tiny bit, I believe.

1  Thank TravelmomSJ

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was in San Jose for a business trip and didn't want to eat in the usual chain restaurants. So I did some research and found The Table. It was a bit uncomfortable eating as a single since most the the seats are at a long table. However, other than that, the food and service was great. I had the salad, tomato soup and chickpea fries. Everything was delicious. Thy serve a delicious bread with ricotta and olive oil--I'm gonna try that at home.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

As The Table is within walking distance of our home, we really wanted to like this place. However, we were disappointed all around. We arrived for our reservation on time, and empty tables/spaces in the restaurant existed, yet we were told our table wasn't ready and sitting at the bar was suggested. We got wine and waited to be seated, which came in 15 minutes - to the exact table that had been empty and ready when we entered the restaurant door. The noise level in the restaurant is 5 bells - really loud, making conversation across a small table difficult. We started with a "snack" - Yukon Potato Wedges with Dip," which were very good, although there was a substantial amount of oil floating in the dip. My partner had the "Share" dish of Grilled Quail with tabouleh; she reported it was okay, but lacked strong flavors. I had the Steamed Sea Bass with shrimp and heirloom melon sauce. The fish arrived warm, not hot, and the aforementioned sauce was cold and far too sweet for the fish. The fish also lacked flavor.

Overall service was good, but not great. In our experience, The Table is no more than an Average restaurant.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We had a wonderful and cheery server which added very nicely to our dining experience. This is a casual place with upscale dishes. They are very generous with their warm rolls served with ricotta cheese and olive oil. The beef cheeks lived up to other diner reviews -- Very tender and flavorful. I loved the beet salad which wowed my taste buds with sweet pineapple and buttery avocado. We saved room for desserts - pot de creme - excellent - rich chocolate with a sprinkle of sea salt and topped with creme fraiche! Beignets with lemon curd - also very good - I would have preferred a lighter dough. I will definitely go back to try their other offerings.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I save my five stars for places that completely blow me away in a pallet changing way, that being said The Table was awesome and really impressed! Bone marrow and grits; my wife had the burger (surprised she offered me a bite but glad I got one)! If you want a regular table make sure you request it, otherwise if you'll get the community table. Not that it's a bad thing, just pointing it out. Great drinks, reasonable bottles of wine and craft beers. Really glad we had dinner here and hope to eat here again in the very near future!