“Not jerking around!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not jerking around!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Oh wow, there's a full house. These were the words I uttered as I peered into the window while walking to the door. The 3-4 block walk from the hotel to Back A Yard was my first adventure in San Jose after leaving the airport and I was not disappointed. My to-go order was 2 meals in 1, food and service was great. The lady serving those dining in suggested I call in my order rather than having to wait.

Visited May 2014

Portland, Oregon
“Good fun and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I only went here because my friend wanted to, but I am so glad he did. I will definitely go back next time I am in San Jose. The prices are so reasonable too.

We got the jerk chicken and pork combo. The pork in particular was sooo delicious. It was moist and tender and had a a smoky, spicy flavor. And then those fried plantains...yum. The rice and beans are mixed together and are very good as well.

I had thought about ordering the catfish, but decided on the Friday special: Escoveitch (snapper?) fish filet with rice and beans, festivals, and plantains. Oh my! The festivals were a new experience for me. They're fried dough. Just a tiny bit sweet, a little heavy, and surprisingly good. We left very full and very happy. Staff was very friendly too.

• Visited June 2014
San Jose, California
“Jerk, anyone?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Everybody has had their various experiences with "Jamaican Jerk Chicken." Some are good, some not-so-much. Come here if you want to rock your jerk-world! Serving authentic, Caribbean-inspired dishes full of flavor and spice, Back-A-Yard will NOT leave you wishing you'd gone elsewhere! I always get a combo platter - either chicken or pork - with the side of fried plantains, rice & beans, and a small side salad. Add a Red Stripe Lager, and you've got yourself a meal.

There can be a line, at times, but it's worth the wait...

• Visited March 2014
Reno, Nevada
“Fun place, inexpensive...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

This restaurant is definitely something fun and different for San Jose. Not too expensive and most of the food we had was great (dessert being the exception). Plantains and jerk chicken were particularly delicious! Good for take-out too!

• Visited September 2013
San Jose, California
“This is a staple for take-out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

We love this place! First went to the one in EPA but live close to the one in dt San Jose. Yummy. A couple of times the food was cold but that may have been just cuz my husband took so long to get home. I love their jerk chicken and the plantains. I also really like their curry goat; they have that on tuesdays I think. When I move away from this area Im really going to miss this local favorite.

• Visited October 2013