“Good fun and good food”
Review of Back A Yard

Back A Yard
Ranked #79 of 2,209 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I only went here because my friend wanted to, but I am so glad he did. I will definitely go back next time I am in San Jose. The prices are so reasonable too.

We got the jerk chicken and pork combo. The pork in particular was sooo delicious. It was moist and tender and had a a smoky, spicy flavor. And then those fried plantains...yum. The rice and beans are mixed together and are very good as well.

I had thought about ordering the catfish, but decided on the Friday special: Escoveitch (snapper?) fish filet with rice and beans, festivals, and plantains. Oh my! The festivals were a new experience for me. They're fried dough. Just a tiny bit sweet, a little heavy, and surprisingly good. We left very full and very happy. Staff was very friendly too.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Everybody has had their various experiences with "Jamaican Jerk Chicken." Some are good, some not-so-much. Come here if you want to rock your jerk-world! Serving authentic, Caribbean-inspired dishes full of flavor and spice, Back-A-Yard will NOT leave you wishing you'd gone elsewhere! I always get a combo platter - either chicken or pork - with the side of fried plantains, rice & beans, and a small side salad. Add a Red Stripe Lager, and you've got yourself a meal.

There can be a line, at times, but it's worth the wait...

Reviewed April 20, 2014

This restaurant is definitely something fun and different for San Jose. Not too expensive and most of the food we had was great (dessert being the exception). Plantains and jerk chicken were particularly delicious! Good for take-out too!

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We love this place! First went to the one in EPA but live close to the one in dt San Jose. Yummy. A couple of times the food was cold but that may have been just cuz my husband took so long to get home. I love their jerk chicken and the plantains. I also really like their curry goat; they have that on tuesdays I think. When I move away from this area Im really going to miss this local favorite.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was my second time here. the food tasted good, the jerk chicken is the standout. the ambience i find just okay.