“Tasty, tasty, but a long wait”

Taqueria Tlaquepague
Ranked #558 of 2,214 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Great food. Their original location on Lincoln is definetely good the most fun, small, atmosphere, but the wait can be long!

Their carnitas are the best ever.
Unfortunately, the Lincoln Ave location has stopped serving their Consuela drink - grapefruit, apples, tequila. It is fantastic.

1  Thank ItsMona

Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you want the typical Californian, Tex-Mex style psuedo-Mexican food, this place is for you. Growing up, my family and I visited Mexico extensively, and made many friends throughout the Republic. I have spent much time in Veracruz, Oaxaca, Mexico City, Monterrey, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, Yucatan, and too many other places to name. I was also an exchange student, met and married a Mexican. In short, I have eaten true Mexican food, in various regions. Therefore, if you are content with eating food loaded with cheese and sauce and don't care to experiment, this is the place for you. If you don't mind slow, poor service, and you have kids who can wait for their 'food', this place is for you. Years ago, a family friend recommended the restaurant on Lincoln Ave; what a mistake. We were terribly disappointed. Some other friends including couples who have visited Mexico invited us to a second location. We thought maybe the food and service had improved. Nope. Don't bother wasting your time or money.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Great dining experience one of the best Mexican restaurants I have ever experienced and believe me I have eaten in many throughout the u.s.

1  Thank Alliesantacruz
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is a great place if you like authentic Mexican food (lard baby!) The service is hurried, you may have to wait. But you can bring the whole family here, even the screaming baby, and you'll all fit right in. Wearing pajamas and slippers? No problem. Salsa is great, chips are fresh and hot, and drinkers will like the enormous beer schooners. Excellent value.

4  Thank TrixieBelle
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had to wait probably about 45 min. to be seated and they do not let you have any drinks while waiting either, which would probably have made the experience much better. I really enjoyed my food - the salsa has a wonderful kick and the shredded chicken was delicioso. My husband was so upset about the wait, I think it spilled over into his enjoyment - or lack there of- of his meal. The atmosphere reminded me of the city of Tlaquepage in Mexico, but they need to make their #1 restaurant larger.

1  Thank Scarletlasceo