“Great Manager, Average Food”

Straits Cafe - Santana Row
Reserve with OpenTable
Straits Cafe - Santana Row is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 2,207 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I ordered the lemon grass beef, the Spinach salad with shrimp, and the Shrimp pad thai. First of all I got three confirmations saying that my open table reservation was made through my email. Second I noted on the reservation that I was booking for a anniversary for me and my wife. When I got to the restaurant everything went downhill. They didn't have my opentable booking which made me not get the points nor left them clueless about the anniversary dinner. Second the waiter recommended a salad that was just plain horrible. I was suprised how bad this salad was and why it was even on the menu. Nothing complemented each other. The rinds of lime were not rinds they were pieces of lime which made it very bitter and over powered the whole dish. The other dishes were great though I loved the pad thai and the lemon grass beef. I told the manager about the salad and he removed it from my bill, but I did not tell him about the open table situation. I didn't want to feel like I was complaining about every little detail. He was great and helpful and I appreciated that he did that. I have been here many times and that was the first time I did order that dish and will definitely be my last.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I found it to be expensive and a little too cool for my taste; service is rushed (just like Sino) and you have to tell the server several times to take it slowly and not to push/rush you. Otherwise food is good but you can have same food in some of the ethnic restaurants around town for much less and more authentic.

1  Thank KeisariRami
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Well the name of this restaurant comes from its origins as a Singaporean dining -- and as such it offers a mix of Malaysian/Indonesian, Chinese, Indian cuisine with of course a great (read huge) selection of drinks.
Greatly recommend it -- you will have a nice dinner and drinks and you will probably meet new friends or someone you know...

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went with my friend shopping at Westfield Shopping Center then ventured over to Santana Row across the street. Had a late lunch at this restaurant and was not crowded on a Saturday afternoon. It reminded me of P.F. Changs. I had the Shrimp Stir-Fry and my friend had fresh Oysters. The Shrimp Stir-Fry was a little spicey for my taste, but was good and different. My friend enjoyed her Oysters which was served on a bed of crushed ice. Their cocktail menu was interesting and I tried one. I can't remember the name, but had some mint in it. Service was good and he was attentive and knowledgable about the menu when we asked questions. Decor is asian-contemporary and looks like it could get busy and tend to be a "hot spot" in the evening...fairly spacious bar area. I would go possibly go back and try their other items, as well.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you have ever been to Santana Row, you will have wondered where they stash them. Here is your answer.
The local wildlife goes here to see and to be seen. Prices do confirm, however service is lacking.