“Great steakhouse atmosphere and good food!”
Review of Grill on the Alley

Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 2,205 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: b/w San Fernando & San Carlos
Transit: Light Rail, Bus
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Recently had a business meeting at this restaurant for lunch, and was pleasantly surprised as it is located in the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose. Usually hotel restaurants are not this good. I loved this restaurant and wish there was one like it where I live. I would frequent it often.

The atmosphere is that of a really good steakhouse...booths, dark wood, white linens, silverplate place settings, wine glasses, etc. And the Sinatra music playing in the background was great! I just wished I'd eaten dinner at this restaurant the night before. I would have loved to try some of the martinis on their extensive martini list.

The bread (sourdough) is wonderfully warm, and my steak salad was so so good. The steak was cooked perfectly. My guest enjoyed a prime rib sandwich, which was a special of the day, and he indicated that he eats at this restaurant frequently. When I return, I will definitely bring my husband. It has a very romantic quality, and I know my husband would enjoy it. Excellent service topped off this meal.

Reviewed October 12, 2009

This is part of the Fairmont Hotel.
The bar:
Happy hour is from 5 to 8. Crowded, noisy, and disjointed service.
Nice bar menu appetizers like calamari, onion rings, and hamburger shooters.
The restaurant (the antithesis of the bar):
Very classy setting with excellent service by Daniel and Ryan.
Nice wine list.
The thick pork chop with berry sauce and succulent vegetables and the scallops with asparagus were real winners.
Rich chocolate cake dessert.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Bit pricey for the food

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 23, 2008

I go once a month to this grill on slow days to have my space and fun. As always the food was great but this time the off duty assistant manager was over stepping his boundary with us. I was celebrating the fact I lived one more month of my life. Yes I was feeling real happy. Being the only two customers in the whole restaurant I took the chopsticks that came with my order and started to play ting ting on my plate and glass. The off duty manager decided to come in and eat two booths down from us. There were 90 other booths in the whole place but he had to sit there. He came over and told me to stop playing around. I was like, who are you? I said nothing until we started to leave. I told him I was sorry but I was celebrating my life and I am sorry that I intruded into his little world. His lady friend started to get loud towards me. I just walked away leaving her running her mouth. I talked to the manager and he just said he was sorry and looked down his nose at us. See we do not look like we can afford to be in his place, little does he know. I have now also learned that the assistant manager works at Anderson Steak House as well. I will go to AP Stumps for now on, even though we will not have the place to ourselves. They have much better food by far. Average bill for two is $270.00 in either place. The company in which I work will take their business lunches elsewhere. Average bill for company $700.00.
Total loss for the month almost a $1000.00 or more. See one never knows how just a few words and actions can spoil your business.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Perfect for that special occasion, whether it's just for cocktails or for a meal.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook