“Terrific meals at our Fairmont Hotel stay.”
Review of Grill on the Alley

Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 2,206 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: b/w San Fernando & San Carlos
Transit: Light Rail, Bus
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spacious, clean, quiet with excellent, but pricey, meals. My wife and I both had excellent Caesar salads. She had a petite (8 oz.) filet mignon, with various sauces available. I had a double-cut Colorado lamb chop. The meats were cooked to perfection. Unable to comment on the wine list or desserts, since we don't indulge in either one.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I dined with colleagues while attending a conference at a nearby hotel. The food was very good, my only complaint was that each of us had our steaks cooked slightly more than we had ordered. Despite this they were well seasoned and delicious. The service was a bit slow which I think was one of the reasons why the steaks were overcooked (I think they sat before being served). They have a great wine list with many great selections. I would try again.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went to the Grill on the Alley for a nice holiday dinner with family, and was really disappointed that we chose the restaurant in the lobby of the hotel. We thought it would be convenient because we were staying the night in the Fairmont, but location was the only positive from that evening.
For this review I'll itemize the issues:
1) Seating is cramped, my brother-in-law were knocking knees under the table.
2) The restaurant used "tag-team" waiters to increase the service, but the result was twice the number of interruptions to the meal.
3) I ordered the sole and it was slimy. Ate about 3 bites and would've returned it but didn't want to make a scene. I assumed everyone else's food was good, but the scallops were rubbery and the mahi mahi was tough. Obviously had sat under the headlamps as we ate our appetizers, because the food was delivered simultaneously as the appetizer dishes were cleared. I must say the crab cakes were good, but you can't really overcook them.
4) Service was attentive to the point of being intrusive.

Overall I would suggest you look at one of the other area restaurants, there are many that offer a much better dining experience for the traveler.

1  Thank FridayTravel
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I have been there 3 times since earlier 2011. While it has a very nice ambient, it is still too pricey for the so-so food and service. As you can see from the 2011 photo, those Oysters on the 1/2 shells are just too big and not the proper type that an oyster bar would serve. The lobster bisque was just too salty. The prime rib and tuna were fine.

Then we visited again last December 2012. The food and service have declined further. The big chunk of side broccoli that came with the Filet Mignon was a shock to me. It was just plainly boiled in water, TOTALLY tasteless. The filet was barely passable. My wife had the seared bass which she didn't really care for. She has had better bass than this one elsewhere and less expensive.

Service was good in the early going (we arrived at 5:30 pm). They had 1 main waitress and a 2nd guy serving us. He refilled my water without being asked but it was still 3/4 full. However when it started to get somewhat busy, it turned downhill. My water was never refilled again. And we waited very long to get the check.

On a good note, It was my wife's birthday. It was very nice of them to give her a complimentary small box of chocolate. We appreciated that. Thank you.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I ate here recently but will never do so again. I ordered a salad and was half way through when I noticed a large piece of plastic mixed in with my greens. It turned out to be a one inch knob that had fallen off a cupboard in the kitchen and on to my plate. With that kind of lack of quality control, I could only imagine what else was in my food. Disgusting! Never again!!

3  Thank Happy_Vacationers2