“Good, But Inconsistent For Fine Restaurant”
Review of Grill on the Alley

Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 2,169 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: b/w San Fernando & San Carlos
Transit: Light Rail, Bus
los gatos
“Good, But Inconsistent For Fine Restaurant”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The Grill is one of the finer steakhouses in San Jose. Prices reflect where they want to be, but they are inconsistent to justify such prices. Wait staff was OK, but mostly young men who seem to be in training, or needing some guidance. Meat entrees are good. Bread excellent, but I had creamed spinach with my huge prime rib and baked potatoe that was a real downer; it was blended greens that had a texture of twigs and chewy....something unexplainable for creamed spinach. Special desert souflee was nice, but too small for a $10 finale. Restaurant management needs to get on the ball a bit.

• Visited April 2012

Los Gatos, California
“Wonderful Dinner and Service”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating his birthday at the Grill last week. The atmosphere is so nice, low lighting and dark panelling with quiet music playing. The server came right over with no wait. Bread was brought to the table quickly. Since it was a special dinner, we splurged a bit. He had a shrimp cocktail and the broiled lobster tail. The cocktail sauce was excellent and the shrimp were very large and flavorful. Sometimes shrimp on the West Coast can be tasteless but these were great. The lobster tail (which came from Nova Scotia) was very large and cooked just right. Sweet and flavorful !! with a nice butter sauce. I had the Wedge salad which is served with real bacon and not bacon bits. And my entree of pan seared salmon served over spinach with lemon butter sauce was wonderful. We shared a lovely bottle of Santa Margherita pinot grigio. (The wine list is quite extensive and offers some very reasonable priced bottles). All through the dinner, the server checked back to see if everything was good and if we needed anything. Excellent place to dine !!!

• Visited March 2012
San Jose, CA
“Great Food - EXTREMELY LOUSY SERVICE”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

First of all, you need to know that this is "fine dining"...white tablecloths, cloth napkins, lots of silverware on the table. And, expensive. Vegetarian entree $26. Prime Rib $44. We thought we would try it before a Sharks game, and had plenty of time. After taking our drink orders, it was at least 10 minutes before our waitress returned. I asked her a question about the vegetarian dish since I am a gluten-free vegan. She didn't know anything about the dish. My husband asked about his dish, she knew nothing. She said she would go ask, and 15 minutes later returned to say that I couldn't have the vegetarian dish but offered no alternative. I had to ask if the chef could make me something.

Our food came out fairly quickly, but was brought by the kitchen staff, and was delicious! The quality is there...very favorable, and my dish wasn't a plate of steamed broccoli, but very eye pleasing and tasty. However, that was the last we saw of our waitress. We sat there for 45 minutes, with her walking by, but never even asking us how things were (we were sitting there with empty plates). You'd think especially in my case where the chef made something special that she would ask if I was happy with it or needed anything. Finally, I put on my jacket and scarf and started to walk out. Heck-if she didn't notice us, maybe we got the meal for free...LOL! She quickly brought us our check.

Paying that much money for anything should come with exceptional service. If you are going to a Sharks game, just go inside and pick from all the choices you have there. You will save a ton of money and won't miss much by skipping Grill on the Alley.

• Visited March 2012
California
“Over priced”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I've eaten here twice and have no desire to return. The food is okay - nothing bad but not exceptional. In fact, the only thing that is exceptional are the prices. Way too high!

San Jose, California
“The best STEAK of my life!”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

the service is great and the food is even better. This place is a little pricey but very much worth it. The staff gave us and entirely new grill language, and now we know how to order our steaks and have them cooked the perfect way for us. Great location and lots of options... the mac-n-cheese is amazing too!

Visited November 2011