“A pretentious French restaurant.”

La Foret Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Foret Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 2,198 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in Almaden Valley, La Foret is a fine French dining establishment in a creekside, old country setting.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We'd been there once before-sat near the creek, enjoyed the view, ate the expensive food, loved it. This time went in with no reservation. It was Wednesday, 5:30. Two other parties were in the restaurant. We were seated at a small table for two, no view, in between the two other noisy occupied tables. I asked for another table. Manager/owner said "no way". So we just left. For those kind of prices I expect a pleasant atmosphere.

2  Thank Gini M
There are newer reviews for La Foret Restaurant

Reviewed June 11, 2011

We have been eating at La Foret for many years. It remains our "go to" restaurant for special occasions. We are never disappointed. Love everything about La Foret, especially the food!!!

1  Thank sandisea63
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Been to La Foret several times and have never been let down. Romanic dinner looking over the creek in New Almaden, great bottle of wine and service could not be better.

Reviewed March 19, 2009

We went to La Foret for our wedding anniversary, and had a pleasant evening. We found the setting delightful (although our GPS had a bit of trouble getting there from Gilroy!), and the service was excellent - attentive without being over-anxious. The food was good, as we expected from other reviews, but we felt that it was a notch or two below the quality we anticipated at this price point. I had the mixed wild mushroom soup, which had good flavor but was not as creamy or rich as I've had elsewhere. My wife had the scallops entree; they were also well-flavored. I had the wild-game main (boar) and enjoyed the meat very much, but the accompaniments were a disappointment. Beans overcooked, and a fine restaurant cooks with real baby carrots, not the pretend ones foisted on the general public by agribusiness. Don't try to eat the mashed potato decoration - it's dry, grey and over-seasoned. My wife splashed on Australian lobster - the fish was well cooked, but a lime-beurre accompaniment seemed at odds with its richness. The wine list was extensive, but my wife opted for a glass of wine which seemed badly oxidized - the bottle may have been open for a while. I was the designated driver and my water was attentively replenished throughout the meal. Overall, service was great, food was pleasant, but we're content with this one experience of La Foret.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 30, 2008

This restaurant truly lived up to its reputation! Great French food in reasonable portions! Service was also outstanding!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook