“Delicious food and horrible service”
Review of ARCADIA

ARCADIA
Reserve with OpenTable
ARCADIA is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 2,163 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Market Street
Description: Acclaimed Chef Michael Mina's ARCADIA features a modern American steakhouse menu. In addition to mouth-watering steaks, the expanded menu offers fresh fish and chicken dishes, expertly prepared, as well as the freshest shellfish. Enjoy "ARCADIA Classics" like Lobster Corn Dogs, Ahi Tuna Tartare, Whole Fried Chicken, and Steak Rossini. Accompany your meal with traditional steakhouse sides prepared with Mina's modern twist. “Voted Best Steakhouse by Best of the Bay TV Viewers in 2011”
Sacramento, CA
“Delicious food and horrible service”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had breakfast buffet with lots of choices and good quality food. When we went back for seconds, someone cleared our table completely. Oooops, had to ask for new coffee, cups, etc.....

Lunch - ordered food and then no one showed up for 30 min, then food was dropped off and no one would check on us. Water was only refilled at the 45 min mark after ordering. The waiter brought truffle popcorn as an apology, but we don't care for popcorn. He then dropped of our bill without asking if we need anything else. In fact, he never asked how things were and never asked if we needed anything.

The manager was walking by and asked how is everything and we said not good. He apologized and took our bill and gave us 30% off....

The food was delicious : we had grilled cheese sandwich and mushroom soup and bacon cheeseburger. Beautiful presentation and very tasty, but lack of service leaves a sour taste.

Visited May 2013

San Jose, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

One of the best steak I've ever tasted with good service. Reasonable atmosphere. My only remak is that it's a bit expensive

Chester, California
“Yum”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great breakfast and lunch. Sit in Gloria's section! Dinner was a bit pricey. the flatbread was amazing!

Visited May 2013
Oslo, Norway
“Excellent Blackened Ahi Tuna”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have had the opportunity to visit this restaurant several times and all meals have been an experience. I have visited the restaurant together with colleagues and by my self. Not a too fancy place but very high quality and the service is always very good. Looking forward going to Arcadia when visiting the area on another US trip.

Orange County
“Misleading menu for pescetarians - A significant professional miscue”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was my second visit to Arcadia - I attend a conference in San Jose at the same time every year and generally like Michael Mina restaurants, though this seems like one he doesn't pay too much attention to. Last year, the meal was below par. But I gave it another chance (partly because there aren't too many options in San Jose) and partly because I thought last year may have been an aberration. I love Stonehill Tavern in Dana Point - another MM restaurant - and it is consistently excellent.

In any event, this time the presentation and the quality of meal was much better. I had mushroom soup and a fish dish with muhammara sauce which on the taste scale was very good. Dessert was good too. Service was average - the server told us that the entree I wanted wasn't available and then came back and told us that it was. The irony of course is that I now wish it hadn't been available.

My complaint (and the reason for the low rating) is that I am pescetarian and haven't eaten meat in over 10 years. To my VERY UNPLEASANT surprise, I took a bite of something which felt meaty to me. My colleague took a bite and confirmed that it was sausage. WHAT I DO WANT TO POINT OUT IS THAT THE MENU DESCRIPTION DOES NOT LIST SAUSAGE, AND THE STAFF CONFIRMED THAT SAUSAGE IS ALWAYS INCLUDED IN THE DISH. I called the server over who immediately brought the manager over who apologized profusely and comped the entree. While that was very reasonable given that the meal had been served, the damage was done. While some may wonder what the big deal is, especially since it wasn't my fault, I found it rather distressing to have to confront that I had taken a bite of meat. My question to Michael Mina's team is "How can a restaurant of this caliber not be sensitive to people's dietary preferences, especially around meat?" It is very misleading to not list the full set of accompaniments to the feature.

In contrast, I had dinner at the Market in Del Mar yesterday, a fabulous restaurant, and they ask every table what their dietary restrictions are. What a difference.