“Regular, outdated restaurant”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

It was surprising to see this restaurant so well evaluated. Everything inside was built in the 70s or 80s and never refurbished. Some seats are teared with the cushion showing off. The food and service are ok, but nothing special.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Chicken parm, linguini and clams, and of course the best meatballs and pasta in town make Joes a regular place to visit when in San Jose. Great location next to the downtown hotels, and the waiters are professionals who are good at their jobs.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I just ate here this evening with my partner and my parents (who remembered this Original Joes from the 60's). Obviously this restaurant has not had a refresh in years; I'm sure part of the reason is nostalgia but it's definitely seen better days. The booth we were shown to, while large, had two huge tears where the stuffing was popping through. Normally I'd just sit over the tear and not fuss, but opening the menu (which is robust), entrees are around the $25.00 and over area for some meat and potatoes or vegetables. At our table we had a hamburger (for which in years past they were famous), a rib-eye steak priced at $35.00, a hamburger steak priced at $19.00 and a plate of messy spaghetti/ravioli. This was big in the 50's and 60's and I guess if your a buff of that era, you've come to the right place. Were I to rate the food I would give it a 4 out of 10. The steak was very average (keep in mind I can get a steak at Alexander's in the city for around the same price that melts in your mouth). My father didn't eat his hamburger it was so overdone and burned. For the record, I can't believe frozen steak fries came with this. My hamburger steak was just that, plain meat, nothing flavorful or special, dry and on the overcooked side. The ravioli/spaghetti is what I'd expect from a diner. We had no appetizers and just one glass of wine and one coffee. The bill was $121.00. Which is why I ask...ARE YOU SERIOUS??
So maybe I'm missing something. The place is popular and crowded but trust me, I would never recommend it nor would I dare to go back. This is just very average to below average food existing on nostaligia.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place was recommended by our hotel. It is a restaurant with a long history of good food and service. The wait staff was very prompt and had our drinks and food out very fast. I ordered the regular spaghetti plate and could have ordered the smaller one or split it with someone else. It is huge and now way I could finish it. It has a great flavor that I would order again.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you are looking for huge portions this is the place to go for dinner. The chicken parmesan is great. Every time I go back that is what I order. It is 2 large chicken breast pieces that could easily be shared. We always sit in the bar. It is a good atmosphere and the bartenders know how to make a drink right.