“Huge portions, timely service”

Original Joe's Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 2,214 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I ate at Original Joe’s during a recent business trip. I was seated quickly at a booth in the center of the restaurant. I was greeted table side within a few moments. I ordered the half spaghetti, half ravioli plate and added two meatballs. I was overwhelmed, in a positive way, with my dinner. The platter was filled from edge to edge with more food that I could eat in three meals. WOW. So good, so much! I would highly recommend Original Joe’s for a business meal. However, I would think twice if you are heading out for a romantic dinner because the noise level was approaching rock concert like decibels.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Can't believe I haven't put a review for O.J.'s (which is what we call it). My husband's family went there when he was a kid. He took me there when we were dating. And three grown children and one grandchild later, whenever we are in the San Jose area, we still go to Original Joe's.

Food styles change. One time quiche was a big woohoo, and it's not anymore. It's good, but just not trendy anymore. I've been to edgy, trendy Italian restaurants, and to be sure, they are very good. To me, the question should not be how MUCH can you change Italian food to make it trendy; the question should be SHOULD you change Italian food to be trendy? To me, the answer is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Original Joe's has maintained the quality of their food for all of these years and we know we can go in there and count on our favorites to be just as delicious as they always were. We've been going there for over forty years and we don't plan on stopping now!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Service good until time to get the check. Then our waiter was more interested in shmoozing the guests that came in like he shmoozed us. Food was pretty good, prices pretty high. It was fun to go once, to say we've been there. Get the sauteed spinach with bacon.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

The last time I ate here was literally 26 years ago...and very little has changed...almost a trip in a time machine. Very nostalgic, like an Italian restaurant scene in a Joe Pesci movie. The food is really good classic American Italian fare. The portions are huge. The service is good, especially considering how busy it is. Go there with a hearty appetite.

1  Thank FRW99
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Great food and great service. I am from the east coast and Italian and I have to say this is up there with some of the restaurants in North End in Boston. I tried the chicken parm with ravioli on the side. Portions were big and they cook right in front of you if you sit at the bar. I highly recommend this place over any of the over priced hotel restaurants nearby. Well worth a visit.