“One of best restaurants in South Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Papillon

Le Papillon
Ranked #28 of 2,152 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus
Los Gatos, California
“One of best restaurants in South Bay”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Although the location strikes one as odd upon arrival, this restaurant is truly not to be overlooked. The food, service and ambiance once inside feels far removed from the city and is most conducive to a lovely evening. The wine list and sommelier are also not to be missed. Can't wait to return!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Solviggy

New York City
“A very nice and unexpected find..”
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

My colleague and I were looking for a good restaurant amid the generic strip types so familiar to the Silicon Valley. Our hotel gave us a list of places nearby and under the heading "French" there was only one, Le Papillon. We arrived and found an attractive room and a gracious host as well as wait staff. The menu is a prix fix of either 3 or 4 courses, & there is a well chosen wine list with French and California wines well represented at prices in keeping with the quality of the food. This is probably an expensive restaurant for the area and will easily run $140 per person with wine and gratuity, but you do get what you pay for here. I ordered the snails and venison, my friend the pear salad and Berkshire pork tenderloin. Though my noisettes at first came over cooked they were quickly replaced and perfectly done. The plating of all the dishes is beautiful and we couldn't help but notice the care taken in presentation from the starters through the deserts. The only criticism would be that we thought everything a bit under seasoned and could have been a little more flavorful to be perfect. That said we had a very enjoyable meal and were glad to have made this unexpected find.

1 Thank KIRNYC
San Jose, California
“Exquisite”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you enjoy the "French experience" or have never been to a true French restaurant then you have to try "Le Papillon", close your eyes and you can hear the accordion and the French chattering. Actually I take that back as you'd lose the pleasure of the decor. I can;t think of a better restaurant in San Jose. As others have mentioned the Souffle is incredible.
If I had to offer one small suggestion it would be that they make their own bread and offer the true French baguette. I thought the bread they offered was straight from Wholefoods.

• Visited November 2013
Saratoga, California
“Wonderful dinner”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a restaurant that is definitely suited for a special dinner. The food was very good. We both chose the 4 course menu (appetizer; soup or salad; main; dessert) – and enjoyed almost every bite (not a fan of the bone marrow ravioli that came with the tenderloin (not a comment on the preparation, just my personal taste.)) The service was impeccable – there was no feeling of being rushed. I think the best part (other than the wonderful food) was the fact that it was quiet…yes, we could converse at a normal speaking level….what a pleasure! We are looking forward to eating here again.

• Visited August 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to dining here. I found the decor very dated.The service was excellent however the menu was disappointing. I did not find anything that seemed creative or interesting. I decided to try the deer as I come from a family of hunters and chefs. No flavor. My husband thought his meal was OK.The food was not bad but nothing I had made me take a bite and say "Wow!". My husband and I have been blessed to have dined at some great restaurants all over the world. Expensive and small around the corner places. We love presentation but it is that first bite that tells the story. I am sorry to say nothing I ate here made me want to return and try other things on the menu or recommend it to friends.

Visited July 2013